Contest #154 winner 🏆

175 comments

Romance Historical Fiction Desi

Your eyes pour the moonlight on my path as I turn my back to you. In the dead of the night, I walk with my family, away from my home, my street, my town, and what was till yesterday- my country.

There are other families with us. Snaking their way to Lahore railway station. In fear, pain, and certainty that their lives are not theirs anymore. It can be cut, morphed, or smoked out within a matter of seconds. Even if they get on that train to Amritsar and arrive there in one piece, they would just be a wisp of what they once were.

I walk. With a volcano in my chest where my heart used to be. My heart is left crying on that terrace. The terrace where we used to meet under the moonlight. When it was still the moon that lit up the night. When your head covered in hijab was still in my reach. And the moon in my cupped hands was still in your reach.

I carry a small load on my back as others. It will help us in getting to a new nation that is about to be my nation. And build a new life. From the ruins of a life that has been uprooted.

The air is still. A rare gust of wind brings the acrid smoke. And wails. From people unknown. From the far end of the town that I can no longer call mine. I doubt if it would ever be yours either. You may be too numb to its embrace.

My family moves in a huddle. Alone, amongst a sea of people. Clutching each other’s hands. As if we could be more lost than we already are. My father, mother, brothers, and sisters are watchful, looking back every now and then-half expecting the earth they are walking on to swallow them.

We cross the end of the road, the edge of the town, and the border of the wilderness beyond. But I know you are still watching me. With your eyes as dry as mine, your spirit as broken as mine, and your heart trying to console itself on that terrace.

The terrace I can never go back to. And you may never go back to.

All because a man drew a line. Quashing the hearts to choose a side; pulling the threads it had formed till they snapped, shattering it. Brushing the fragments under the carpet of darkness.

I have walked to the brink of what held us together. After this turn, you will not be able to see the speck that I have become now. The speck that has entered the vortex created by time.

Will we ever meet again? I don’t know. But know this, till there is skin on my back and breath in my lungs, the air around me will whisper only one name – Yas…min.

***

When the news of your family leaving town made no ripples in my family, I knew we were never meant to live together.

I leaped up the staircase to the terrace, to meet you for one last time. You were there. Forlorn. The full moon weighed down on us. You didn’t dare to cup him to give me.

You just uttered three words- “Jasmine, forgive me”. It made my world crumble around me, slowly, one brick at a time. I didn’t say a thing. There was nothing left to say.

You left. With your family. Along with many others. Turning your back to me. Walking away from a new nation that had turned its back on you.

You didn’t look back. Till you reached the very edge of the drop from where you could never climb back. Not in near future.

I hoped you will stay safe. When you walked through the rubble and dodged the murderous mobs baying for blood. When you squeezed into the train. Till you reached Amritsar.

I know it will be a hard life for you. You will have to find a new place to call your home. New job to sustain your family. And a new heart to start making threads. Tying you to new soil, people and life.

I wish you find someone to give the moon to. If not on a terrace, maybe by the campfire; to laugh with and share your stories before partition. And never stumble at my name when doing so.

I thought I would never go back to the terrace. But you see, that is the thing about the people who get left behind. They have to revisit the terraces, houses, and streets that led to their hearts shattering into a million shards. And smile, even as the shards pierce their soul.

Time will flow. Upstream. For me. But it will flow nevertheless.

A young woman cannot live alone. Not in this town. There will be talks of my nikah. It will be to a good man. There is no escaping it. I hope I would have grown a new heart by then. One that wouldn’t beat the syllables of your name- Ra-aj. For his sake.

Seasons will change and I will be a mother to the children of a not-so-new nation. They will be taught about how gruesome the partition was and how the other community turned into traitors and had to be driven away. They will grow with venom in their hearts for the footprints you left behind.

If I grow a voice back, I will tell them- no home is more wrecked than the one where brothers turn into enemies.

I will still have hope in my heart. No, not about ever meeting you again. But the line that ripped us apart will become blurred and the angry little men will be lulled in the vortex of time. Maybe not in our lifetime, but someday.

Till then know this. I never believed the moon could be mine, but I never doubted you wanting to pluck it for me. Some things are beyond the reach of lines drawn by the man- moonlight and madness.

July 15, 2022 05:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

175 comments

Carl Tengstrom
17:02 Jul 26, 2022

This is a very sad story. It is about two loving people. Probably the woman Is dead, since she is talking without a voice. She is also going memory line where she looks for a terras and believes she will find her loved one. The language is good and simple without fancy words that are not understandable. All in all, it is a good story worth to remember.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
09:54 Jul 27, 2022

Thank you for your thoughts on the piece. Truly appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carl Tengstrom
16:53 Jul 26, 2022

This is a sad story. It could be about a couple in Ukrain aswell. As the story goes that there is no hope for the loving couple. It might also be that she is dead, because she is telling stories without a voice. The story ends with the insight that the two lovers will never meet, The languge is good and easy to grasp.

Reply

Melanie Hawkes
08:46 Jul 29, 2022

I also thought it was about the war in Ukraine. One day I hope I can write as beautiful story as this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:08 Jul 26, 2022

I enjoyed your story

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
09:54 Jul 27, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
21:28 Jul 25, 2022

This is such a gorgeous story. I think you should have won twice. The evocative imagery. The restraint. There's an elegance to it that offsets the severity of your subject that I think is so admirable. It's just perfection.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
02:11 Jul 26, 2022

Aww this is such a sweet comment, Kevin. I'm a big fan of your work. So, coming from you it means a lot to me. Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:18 Jul 25, 2022

Good job!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
02:09 Jul 26, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:01 Jul 25, 2022

Congratulations on writing this beautiful and evocative piece. I really appreciate your nuanced description of the separation that the lovers have suffered, and how you weave the personal and political. I am deeply touched. Thank you.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
16:48 Jul 25, 2022

Thank you so much for such a lovely comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexa Legaspi
10:23 Jul 25, 2022

Wow.. I'm new to this website and this is the story I was reading. I didn't even regret reading this.. Your story has made me amazed to this point. MIND BLOWN.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
14:20 Jul 25, 2022

Thank you. I am honoured to receive such a comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avi Singh
00:20 Jul 25, 2022

Absolutely beautiful. You should be incredibly proud of this one. Thank you for writing this! Our culture lives on and the lines begin to blur!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
04:57 Jul 25, 2022

Thank you so much for such kind and supportive words. Truly appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:58 Jul 24, 2022

wow! powerful! well done.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
04:56 Jul 25, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery Mossop
19:52 Jul 24, 2022

Oh the line about being left behind and having to revisit the meaningful places is just so true! What a beautiful story! And the ending paints such a sweet and sorrowful image of their limited time together: “I never believed the moon could be mine, but I never doubted you wanting to pluck it for me.” Congratulations on a well-deserved win! :)

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
04:55 Jul 25, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pamela Malu
18:09 Jul 23, 2022

Hi Suma, Thanks for the excellent work; I enjoyed reading your story. There are a lot of lines that I like, but I think my favourite one is. "But know this, till there is skin on my back and breath in my lungs, the air around me will whisper only one name – Yas…min." This line grabbed my attention to read your store till the end.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:04 Jul 24, 2022

Hi Pamela, Thank you so much for reading and commenting. That is very kind of you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pamela Brown
15:03 Jul 23, 2022

Hi Suma, I loved the quietness and so the deeply moving atmosphere of the story. I really felt a relationship with Jasmin, as though she were a close friend. The story of these two lovers represents many relationships which must have been broken or destroyed by this awful event of separation. A well deserved winner. Congratulations!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:03 Jul 24, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind words. Appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
14:47 Jul 23, 2022

Congratulations, Suma!! What a beautiful and sorrowful tale. I especially liked the last few lines, they wrapped up the story so perfectly: "Till then know this. I never believed the moon could be mine, but I never doubted you wanting to pluck it for me. Some things are beyond the reach of lines drawn by the man- moonlight and madness." Well done! :)

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:02 Jul 24, 2022

Aeris, Thank you so much!Glad you liked the story and took time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay McKenzie
12:04 Jul 23, 2022

Beautiful and moving. Congratulations!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
14:30 Jul 23, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
11:20 Jul 23, 2022

Yeah, I just know from first line it is Pakistan and Indian independent story rinsed in love. Fine work.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
14:30 Jul 23, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
15:44 Jul 26, 2022

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
11:19 Jul 23, 2022

Yeah, I just know from first line it is Pakistan and Indian independent story rinsed in love. Fine work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rama Shaar
06:22 Jul 23, 2022

Awesome story! Wonderfully poetic and moving. A very well deserved win!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:40 Jul 23, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raka Gupta
05:00 Jul 23, 2022

Suma it was really a touching story . And I loved the last optimistic lines-- I never believed the moon could be mine but I never doubted u wanting to pluck it for me... U r a gifted person who can express life so well in words. Keep up the good work 🎉❤️

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
05:12 Jul 23, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandini Shukla
02:12 Jul 23, 2022

Congratulations on the win, Suma! I love how you've represented two star-crossed lovers, who were drifted apart by the partition. We are being taught how the partition created a rift that might never be repaired. I am absolutely blown away at how you have portrayed this. A wonderful piece. Congrats once again! 🥰

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
05:14 Jul 23, 2022

Nandini, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am truly honoured to receive them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aesha Amin
01:55 Jul 23, 2022

Suma, I really wish I had you as a teacher in school. When we were learning about the partition, we were only ever given boring texts. Nothing so moving as this. I admire your prose; it really speaks to me. It makes me want to pick up history textbooks again and relearn everything I so easily forgot. Also, I love how the Moon is such an important part of our culture. I remember listening to songs about it, belching out tongue twisters in Hindi with the Moon as their focus. I hope to be able to talk to you about writing one day. Congratulatio...

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
05:17 Jul 23, 2022

Aesha, This is the best comment I have received. Thank you so much for writing this. Sure hope someday we will be able to talk literature over a cup of coffee. Till then we have Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.