11 comments

Fiction Mystery

We touched down smoothly with a collective sigh of relief from all passengers on board. I let go of Lu’s hand which up to that moment I hadn’t realized I was holding for dear life. I wouldn’t say I’m a nervous traveler, per se, but accidents do happen.

Of course, he was on my mind. Uncle Nate was not a ‘blood relative’ but rather my father’s best friend and while I was growing up we added the title of uncle to his name. He never married, never had kids, I’m not sure why. I do remember him being the first and possibly only adult to hold my hands and spin me round and round so that my feet actually lifted up off the ground letting me fly almost horizontally. Such simple goodness was always provided by Uncle Nate.

He was a traveling man, my Uncle Nate, always going somewhere, not afraid to venture out on his own and always came back with stories and presents. He cooked for our family, packaging tins of food representative of where he had been, letting us experience the culture of faraway lands from our own backyard. 

Bringing the fiesta to our patio after his trip to San Antonio was my favorite celebration as I had just turned 21 and, therefore, able to indulge in the mixed drinks.

“Rob, my boy, happy birthday! Finally caught up to the drinking age.” Shaking the drink effortlessly he poured it, added the slice of lime, and handed it to me. “Cheers!” 

The margarita was the perfect complement to the hot enchiladas.  We all drank well into the night, my parents and I listening to Uncle Nate talk about the history of Texas including the Battle of the Alamo. I have to admit I’m a history buff because of Uncle Nate.

“You guys, let’s plan a trip to San Antonio, what do you think? Ma? Dad?” I looked at my parents, from one to the other. It had just hit me that they were starting to look their age. Why hadn’t I noticed that creeping in? Was I that self-absorbed or was it natural for every kid to think their parents will remain young and healthy forever? I felt panicked realizing it was all going to slide away sooner or later, and I was determined to make some plans quickly.

“Honey, you know it’s hard to get away from work. Maybe next year.”

My sudden restlessness grew. Why next year? Why not this year? Now? Was it the drink going to my head or something more?

“Uncle Nate, go to San Antonio with me?” 

He laughed his good natured laugh. “I just got back, son!” He affectionately called me son which I loved, and my father seemed to as well.

I felt let down, but not wanting to ruin the night I quickly agreed. “You’re right, Uncle Nate.”

“Rob, you would love San Antonio. Promise me you’ll go one day.”

“Sure, Uncle Nate, sure.”

“No, really.  Promise me. Don’t just say it, mean it. I know you’ll love it. I can see it in your eyes how you enjoyed my stories and the meal.”

“I promise.” I meant it.

***

The next ten years went by with alarming speed bringing with it the highs and lows so closely intermingled. The lowest low, the unimaginable loss of Uncle Nate. Here one minute larger than life off to his next and final adventure. One icy road in the Rocky Mountains, one slippery turn, one split second ended the life of our family’s best friend and my personal hero.

Shortly after this horrific tragedy, life continued to travel along its course of twists and turns. Through a friend of a friend, a random chance encounter, I met Lucia. She comforted me through the unbearable grieving process showing me the love and companionship that I had always craved. She quickly became my person, and our engagement was the natural next step in our new love story. 

***

“Hun, I bet this is it.” 

Lucia’s voice brought me out of the past and back to the lively crowd. It was just as Uncle Nate had described; the shops and restaurants on either side of the winding river with the occasional footbridge to walk across. Colorful boats dotted the water, tour guides shouting hearty hellos and waving as they made their way through the sights of the city. There was that special energy that Uncle Nate had spoken of; it was both exciting and relaxing to be in the heart of the San Antonio Riverwalk.

I looked up seeing the balcony on the third level that Lu had pointed out to me. Tables and chairs were set up to dine in the open air overlooking the Riverwalk. I turned checking to see what was directly across and sure enough there was a bar on the third level.  I imagined Uncle Nate eating dinner watching the band play across the river, his view perfectly aligned to see in enabling him to enjoy his meal and the entertainment at once. Just on cue the music floated out into the air mixing and mingling with the heat and the chatter of the crowd.

“I bet you’re right. Let’s check it out.” We climbed the narrow staircase leading up to the third floor and requested a balcony table. Lucia took her seat, smiling with her long dark hair gently blowing in the warm breeze. 

“You know what you want?” She opened the menu.

“Enchiladas and margaritas. Please order for me, I’ll be right back.” I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Something told me to look around to make sure this was actually the place that Uncle Nate had spoken of. I just needed a bit more confirmation, one more clue.

***

Forget getting a subtle clue, what I got was a punch in the face, a total shock to the system. Who was sitting in the corner in the dim light of the restaurant? None other than Uncle Nate.

I stood rooted to the ground. Unmoving. Unbelieving. I was speechless.

Uncle Nate broke into a big warm-hearted grin, stood up and extended his arms to greet me. “Rob, my boy! It took a long time, but you made it! I am so very happy. Come sit.”

No. Not possible. Not happening.

“Uncle Nate?” I croaked out, barely a whisper, wondering if anyone else saw this illusion or would I appear to be standing there talking to myself?

“I’m glad you kept your promise. You’re a man of your word and will make an outstanding husband.”

“Thank you?”

I was so confused. Did he know he had died? Did he come back from the dead? Was he a ghost? Did I go back in time? Slip into another dimension? None of this made any sense. Maybe I was having a stroke, a seizure, a nervous breakdown. I had to get Lucia, my love, my rock.

“Yes, Rob, please go get Lucia. Otherwise, she will never believe you.” 

Startled that Uncle Nate had read my thoughts, I took a few steps back almost crashing into a waiter passing by, precariously close to knocking the entire tray of food and drink onto the floor.

“Uh, ok, Uncle Nate.” I tried to regain any semblance of composure, any form of sanity. “Ok. Be right back.”

“Sure, son, see you in a few.”

“You’ll be here, right, Uncle Nate? When I come back with Lucia? You’ll still be here?”

“Not going anywhere, son. I’ll be here.”

***

“Uncle Nate, why is it that I can see you and Lucia can’t? It’s not fair.” 

The meeting between Lucia and Uncle Nate did not go well, did not go anywhere in fact. Holding Lu’s hand, I hurried her over to the corner table excited to make the introductions. Uncle Nate once again stood up with arms extended, this time to greet my fiancé. Lucia looked at me with slight annoyance asking, “What was so important to grab me out of my seat, babe?” She simply didn’t see him.

“Who ever said life is fair, son?”

“But she’s my person. I want to experience this with her.”

“I didn’t write the rules, my boy. Best I can figure is that since we never met our souls don’t know each other to connect right now.”

“Oh, so you do know you’re no longer alive?” I felt so creepy asking this, what a strange question.

“Of course I know.”

“I’m so sorry, Uncle Nate.”

“None of that, Rob, none of that.”

***

Uncle Nate said there are rules and as the years went by I began to figure out what some of them were. He continued to show up at our travel destinations but only places where he had previously been, places that his soul knew. I had a fairly good recollection of his travel stories, therefore, knew for sure some places he had been. The meals he cooked for us and gifts he surprised us with filled in the blanks of locations I couldn’t quite remember, clues to where he had been and where I could possibly meet with him again.

My one true heartache was that I couldn’t share this wonder with my wife. As I didn’t fully understand this, I was reluctant to even let her know I was experiencing it. Luckily we were similar in the way that we both craved quiet time, alone time to think and reflect, possibly the result of both being only children growing up.  On each trip I began the ritual of using my ‘alone’ time to figure out an exact place that Uncle Nate had visited and go there to spend some time with him.

The years went by. Our marriage led to parenthood with the arrival of our twins, a boy and a girl; a mini me and a mini Lu. The children had each other, more than Lucia and I had while growing up.

Our travels continued and much to my astonishment the children shared my special gift. It took a while to notice, not recognizing the early signs. My son’s imaginary friend, my daughter looking into the distance at odd times, both of them having food cravings that made us laugh with delight. After a few years it finally clicked that they had their own special relationship with their Uncle Nate because apparently their souls, coming partly from me, knew his soul.

***

As we became old folks we sat on the patio drinking our margaritas and eating enchiladas.  The rice and beans along with the memories comforted me. Of all the extensive travelling we had done, the San Antonio trip was most dear to my heart. It was my promise kept to Uncle Nate that had opened the door to our continuing relationship. I was a lucky man. I looked at Lucia, my love, my rock and smiled.

October 17, 2023 13:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

13:57 Oct 26, 2023

Very sweet heartwarming story Hannah, just give me the feels! I could picture the boats on the river and that whole scene, great descriptions. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:00 Oct 26, 2023

Thanks so much for reading my story and the feedback! It’s appreciated! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aditi Kumar
17:40 Oct 23, 2023

Wholesome and lovely! Great work.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:18 Oct 23, 2023

Aww thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
18:02 Oct 21, 2023

Heart-warming and kind of heart-breaking at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:08 Oct 21, 2023

Yes, you summed it up perfectly! Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
09:11 Oct 20, 2023

The Riverwalk was very real Hannah, really well done with that. The story was deliciously wholesome and the soul connected concept is super, especially the children imaginary friends. Thoroughly enjoyable. I've a tiny edit, and fell free to ignore but it was one line that took me out of the narrative - "Lucia took her seat, smiling with her long dark hair gently blowing in the warm breeze." To me it comes across as she is using her hair to smile ha. You could reorder it, - Smiling, Lucia took her seat, her long dark hair gently blowing in ...

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:51 Oct 21, 2023

Kevin, Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I see your point about the edit. You are correct and your suggestion is perfect. I waited too long to get back to this and it's too late to edit! I have to act quicker next time :)

Reply

Kevin Logue
21:06 Oct 21, 2023

Ah the cursed super quick approval, ha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
12:30 Oct 18, 2023

Cheering and uplifting. The descriptions are clear enough for me to see all the way to San Antonio. If only we could see our loved ones again once they have passed away. Thanks, Hannah. (:

Reply

Hannah Lynn
18:27 Oct 18, 2023

Thank you for saying that, Karen. I struggled with the description part as I really wanted the reader to feel the charm of San Antonio but didn’t want to go on and on describing it being that it’s a short story. I’m glad it came across ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.