The Eve of Disaster

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fantasy Holiday

    Prologue

(past)

I ran outside for recess and hopped on a swing before anyone else got to it. “Can I go after you?” A boy asked. “No!” I snapped. That boy was bothering me about sharing is caring and that other nonsense. He was boring me out so I started swinging. When I went high enough, I could see over the boy’s head, and saw a new girl. She had red, straight hair, and freckles dotted over her nose and cheeks. “YOU NEED TO SHARE!” The boy screamed. I slowed down the swing and got off. “Fine whatever. I have other things to do anyway.” I said, walking towards the girl.. “Hi.” I said. “Hey.” She said, cautiously. “What’s your name?” I asked. “Samantha.” She answered. There was an awkward moment and I decided to trip her on ‘accident’ and catch her. I blushed just by thinking about it. So I tripped her while she was heading towards the water fountain and grabbed her arm. But it didn’t go as planned. My fingers slipped and She ended up splashing into mud. She started sputtering out words. “What the heck are you doing you crazy person?” 

“S-Sorry!” I quickly said. She got up and stormed off-drenched in mud. 

Later that night…

I watched Samantha pack her things up and zip her binders in her backpack. I wanted to follow her. Not to be a creep or something but to watch over her. To make sure she goes home safely. I mean, many guys would fall for her especially when she’s in a school miniskirt. I didn’t notice where she was going until she walked into the tiny building, I followed her, and she screamed when she saw me. “PERVERT!” Samantha screeched at me, slamming her bag at me. I tumbled to the floor and saw a sign. It said girl’s restroom. I turned beet red and scrambled out.

Chapter 1

“What do you want James?!” Samantha snapped. It was Christmas time so I thought It was a great time to tell my feelings. “I just wanted to apologize for all those years of bullying!” I cried. “Great. Now you apologized. Can I go home now?” She darkly said. “No-no! I have something else to say.” I blurted out. “What?” Samantha spat out. She wasn’t the type to snap at people but she loathed me. Why? Mainly because I bullied her from middle school to now-high school. “I only bullied because I liked you.” I said. Samantha stared at me. “So the main point is...can you date me?” I asked. She stood up and glared at me. “When there’s a power outage.” She muttered. Then, she got up, flipped her hair, and left. That’s impossible! I thought. Power outages are rare here! I thought, my mind racing. Then, I had an Idea. I know this is bad but...this is for Samantha. I went back home, and grabbed black gloves, black outfit, black cap, and a black mask. I waited until midnight and then went up to a power line. I forgot to mention that we all have powers. Mine is wind. I looked at a nearby tree. I closed my eyes and pictured the tree falling on the power pole and the power lines breaking. Then I opened my eyes. My wind blew across, against the tree and the tree started wilting. “C’mon. Work!” I mumbled. I pictured it again. This time, the tree’s roots ripped out of the ground and slammed against the pole. The light flickered out and to make it spread faster, I made the wind carry me to the top of another power line-in another block, and snapped the wires with a hard push from the wind. The lights flickered out here too. I did that with every block. I finally watched the whole city have an outage. “James! Stop this right now!” Someone said. I turned around. It was Samantha. “Oh, Hey Samantha! Look! An outage! How surprising right?” I asked. “I know you did this. So stop it.” She ordered. “But you gotta keep your promise Sammy.” I said. “Don’t call me that. And what Promise?” She asked. “You said when there’s an outage, you would date me.” I reminded her. “Wha…”

After a moment, she looked at me like she was pitying me. “Oh. That’s not...it’s just a saying.” Samantha said. “Oh.” I said, sadly. “You can leave now.” I told her. But Samantha is too soft hearted to do that. “But...if you can stop this…”

She started. “I’d reconsider.”  

Chapter 2

I just couldn’t believe it. Samantha accepted me! Well as a friend for now but that’s not important. I hope later on we can get closer!

               A year later...     

“Hey, Sammy.” I said. She smiled. “Hi James.” 

“Remember those days when you used to bully me?” She asked. “Yeah.”

“I hated you for doing it but I really couldn't blame you.” Samantha said. “Why not? Most people would’ve despised me for like, eternity.” I said. “ So why don’t you hate me?” I asked her. “Because…”

“Because what? You can tell me Sammy.” I urged. “Oh, alright.” She said, nervously. “I um...used to be a...bully at my old school.” She said, embarrassed. And I mean embarrassed. She was bright red, and was squirming. I laughed in shock. “That just doesn't seem like you!” 

“Yeah, well. That was old me. So when I first came here to get a fresh, new, start, the way you treated me...it was so….me y’know?” She tried to explain. I nodded. “Yeah.”

“So I completely understood you. Every bully has a reason right?” She asked. “Yeah.” I answered. “But I don’t understand what you were doing in the um...girl’s bathroom.” Samantha said. I turned red. “I-I was just making sure you were safe!” I stuttered. “Oh, then that’s good.” She said. We silent for a while and then she said, “you know that time when you confessed and asked to date?” 

“Yeah.” I said. “Well I didn’t entirely say no.” She said. My eyes widened. “You mean…” I started. Samantha nodded

                                                          The end

September 05, 2020 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.