0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

(This story is set in Earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is about 800 years behind but is evolving.)

A young man named Zel lived on the island of Rumba. Having no skills or a job, and lacking money to support himself and his wife Lika, he had turned to gambling. With money from her parents, the wife ran the family. She was head over heels in love with him and in return for her meeting household expenditure, she had insisted that he should be loyal to her and not take another woman for wife.

As days passed, Zel increasingly gambled trying to make up for losses. He had used under-weight dice and duplicate dice but still had lost. Finally he had to borrow money and approached the moneylender Rivkin for a loan. Rivkin gave Zel a loan.  Zel lost the money and persuaded Rivkin to advance more money which he again lost. It was at this time Mother Nature feast came when all citizens had to take a sea bath in the nude. On that day, Zel and Lika went and had the ritual bath. While Lika finished her bath and came out, Zel was missing. A thorough search was conducted but his body wasn’t found. It was assumed that Zel had drowned. Lika was inconsolable. Rivkin was very angry as he had lent a big sum to Zel which the man hadn’t repaid.

The island of Bump on that planet was ruled by a king. The King of Bump (KB) was a great believer in star signs and prophesies and had in his service the able witch Wizma as an astrologer and oracle. The king’s only daughter was Antara who was a great beauty. However she had not been married as Wizma had said the king should look for a man who was mad to become his son-in-law. She had prophesied that the chosen man would become normal again. Several attempts made to find a suitable man had failed as they had  found only old people or those who were otherwise undesirable who were mad.  However one day, it was reported to KB that a young madman had been sighted on the beach. KB and Antara immediately rushed to see the man. The man was tall, handsome and young. He didn’t have a stitch on him and it was clear the man was well endowed and well hung. Antara immediately fell for him. KB got the man dressed in the manner of other island males and questioned him.

“What is your name?”

“Zel.”

Further questioning yielded no answers. Wizma who had also sighted Zel said he would be normal again soon. KB immediately arranged Zel’s marriage with Antara. Before that Antara contacted Wizma to understand if Zel would be capable of further marital duties. Wizma said “You take the initiative and he will respond.”

Antara felt she would be incompetent to do as suggested by Wizma. Wizma then gave suitable instructions to Antara. The wedding over, Antara took over the proceedings and was happy that Zel had the natural ability and handled matters on the bed to her delectation. In a few days he seemed to have returned to normal. He explained what had happened: While had been having his bath in the sea, he had somehow been drawn by the current and had been carried away. He had floated without drinking water for hours when a fishing boat had picked him up and put him ashore on Bump island. He had landed there without knowing where he was or why he was there.

It happened at this time that there was a sudden great storm and many boats had capsized. KB went to the aid of those washed ashore. One among them was moneylender Rivkin. Rivkin understood from people around that Zel had also landed there earlier and had married Antara. KB arranged for boats  to transport those rescued to their provenance. Rivkin carried the news of his rescue to Lika. That was how she also came to know about  Zel having married Antara. She sought revenge and chartered a boat to travel to Bump.

At this time, Wizma went to KB and said “Your majesy, I consulted the star orientation in the heavens and found that Antara is going to face a very bad time very soon.”

“How can it be averted?”

“I got the warning that a ship will land creating problems for Antara. It would be necessary that you alert security at the port immediately.”

The order was passed immediately to port staff. When Lika arrived at the port, she was questioned like all arrivals. Lika wasn’t prepared to be questioned by port staff and gave conflicting answers. She was immediately seized and taken to prison. A Security Officer said “Answer all my questions truthfully. Otherwise we may have to feed you to the royal crocodile.”

Lika who had been sufficiently intimidated said “I’m Lika wife of ZB’s son-in-law Zel and live in Rumba. I’ve come here to reclaim him.”

“You’re lying. You want to kill him for running away from Rumba.”

Lika was silent. The security officer said “You will be produced before KB when Zel and Antara will be present. Let them question you and decide punishment. Until then you’ll be in this prison.”

The next morning Lika appeared before KB. Wizma the witch was almost the prosecutrix.

Wizma charged “Lika, you have come to harm Zel.”

Lika was silent. KB prompted “Answer yes or no. Otherwise you will be carried to the crocodile which is hungry for meat of humans.”

At this stage Zel and Antara joined the hearing.

Lika shouted “That fellow after cheating the moneylender Rivkin has fled to Bump. I wanted to ask him to return the loan now that he is the king’s son-in-law.”

Wizma said “She is lying. I can say it as I’m monitoring her pulse.”

KB said “Let us ask Zel what we should do to Lika.”

Zel thought a while and then consulted Antara. Then he said “Let us not kill her. Let us send her back to Rumba.”

Lika now spoke up saying “That is not fair according to law. I’m your first wife.”

Antara now said “Let her stay. I can use her as my maid.”

Wizma said “Madam, that would be dangerous. I won’t support it.”

“Then let us put her on the boat to Rumba. She can carry with her the amount  Zel owes Rivkin. She can hand over the money to the money lender.”

Wizma said “The boat is ready.”

Zel said “I have second thoughts. I feel sorry for having caused so many problems to Lika. I still love her. I can accept her back provided Antara agrees.”

Antara said “I agree if Zel provides separately for her.”

Zel said “Agreed. After all she is my first wife and I have a duty towards her.”

Lika said to Wizma “Please send the boat back. I’ll stay. If Rivkin comes here seeking the money due from Zel, he will be paid.”

The court rose leaving all present happy.

END

May 09, 2021 13:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.