Opportunity can strike out of the blue

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story about two strangers chatting while waiting for something.... view prompt

118 comments

Drama Friendship Fiction

It was early morning and the sun shone brightly. A man waited before a writer's office where he was called. He was tall and handsome with a round face. It was a tall office and one could see the entire city from the roof. A man who was inside the office, came and opened the door.Β Β 

The man asked,"why are you here, Sir?".

"The famed author Hearth William had called me", the tall man replied.

"What's your good name, Sir?", asked the man who looked like the guardian of the building.Β 

"I am Billy Henriques", the man replied.

"My name's Erik. I will go into the office and inquire if I can let you in", the guardian said and walked inside leaving Billy Henriques waiting outside the door. After a while,Β  Erik came and asked Billy to sit down on the chair near the water cooler. Billy took his backpack from the stairs and walked into the air-conditioned building. Billy sat down and waited while Erik went into one of the rooms in the office. Then another man came and knocked on the office door. Erik was not in sight, so Billy went to open the door. As soon as he opened the door the man outside the door, rushed inside the office, slamming the door on Billy Henriques.

Β Β "Ouch!", cried Billy.

"Oh! I am so sorry. I didn't do it on purpose. My name is Billy Hall and I am here because the great author Hearth William had called me", Billy Hall said in a very fast and excited mood. He was a thin and a medium sized man. He had an oval face with his nose pointed out.Β Β 

"Slow down, I am not the manager. He will be here shortly. Calm down and sit down there", Billy Henriques said pointing to another chair near the water cooler.

"Sure, I will", Billy Hall replied and sat down on the chair next to Billy Henriques. After a while, Erik came with a paper in his hand. When he saw a new visitor in the office, he immediately recognised that it was Billy Hall.Β 

"Welcome, Mr. Billy Hall. Gentlemen, author Hearth William has got a bit late and he will be delayed by an hour. I request both of you to wait here for an hour till he comes", Erik announced.

"No problem, Erik. We can wait", said Billy Henriques. He was a humble and patient man.

Β "Okay, Erik", mourned Billy Hall. He was disappointed and lacked patience.Β 

"Hey, did you notice we have the same first name?", Billy Henriques said. He appreciates the small things in life.Β 

"Yes, so it will be a little confusing", Billy Hall said.

"But we can use our last names", suggested Billy Henriques.Β 

"What's your last name?", asked Billy Hall.Β 

"Henriques", answered Billy Henriques.

" Are you here for the same reason as I am?", asked Hall.

"Yes. I was called by author Hearth William for my story about my imaginary character "Luthor" ", said Henriques. Even he was excited about meeting the great author.

"I wrote a poem about Nature as I very much love nature and it's also my long time dream to meet the great author", Hall said.

"Yes, I knew it when you rushed through the door and slammed it on me", Henriques said, laughing.

Β "Yes, I was over excited at the thought of meeting him", Hall exclaimed.Β 

"Where do you live?", asked Hall. He is a man of curiosity and his mind is always bubbling with questions.Β 

Β "Just two streets away", answered Henriques.

"I live in the next city. It took me two hours to come here. So I woke up very early in the morning", said Hall.

"What! You came so long for an unknown prize", exclaimed Henriques.Β 

"To meet my favourite author, I can go even to the next country", Hall replied grinning.

"Yes. No wonder if you even go to the next galaxy to meet Sir Hearth William", Henriques said.Β 

"Okay. Leave that topic. Say about your imaginary character in the story", Hall said.

"That is a long story. I can't say it in an hour, Hall", Billy Henriques replied.

"What do you do for a living, Henriques?", asked Billy Hall.

Β "I am an architect. I actually built my house! What do you do?", exclaimed Henriques.

"I am trying to write a worldwide bestselling book. Basically, I am trying to become an author like Sir Hearth William ", Hall replied.Β 

"Then let's write a book. I am good at writing fiction and fantasy stories", Henriques suggested.

"And I am good at writing poems and nonfiction", Hall said excitedly.Β 

"Let's blend our imagination and create a story", Henriques said.

"Then we should meet up every weekend to discuss our story", Hall suggested.

"Yes, we will definitely meet, Hall. I have no contracts for buildings for three months", Henriques agreed.

"Thank you for accompanying me in my story. Do you have a clue about the prize for the contest, Hen?", asked Hall.

"I have no idea about the prize and don't ever call me with nicknames", shouted Henriques.Β 

"Calm down. You seriously have anger management issues", Hall said slowly.

"Sorry, Hall. I should not have behaved like that", apologized Henriques.

"It's okay, Henriques. I take all comments from friends positively", Hall replied with a smile.

"That's so nice of you. Do you play any sports, Hall?", asked Henriques.

"Yes. I love playing sports and I also want to know all the rules of every game in the world", Hall said. He was also very active.Β Β 

"Great, Hall. What's your favourite sport?", Henriques asked.

"My all time favourite sport is cricket. I had even dreamt of playing for my country when I was young", replied Hall.

"My favourite sport is basketball. Everyone says I am tall because of playing basketball", said Henriques giggling.

"I see that both the Billys have become friends", said Erik, who was standing beside the door of an office in which he had entered before.Β 

"You can frame it like that, Erik", said Henriques.

"Continue your chatting. I am going to call Sir Hearth William", said Erik.

"Can I talk to him?", asked Hall. He was so excited when he heard that name again.

"Sorry, Hall. It's his private number. I can only talk to him in that number", said Erik and walked into the office. While Hall and Henriques were talking about how they could blend their knowledge and write a story, a car suddenly swooped into the street. It was a huge car. Hall and Henriques stood up to see the fantastic sight of the huge car. They had never seen such a big car in their lives. Erik ran towards the car and opened the door of the car. Out of the car stepped out an old man with a suitcase in his hand. He was bright white and had silky brown hair. It was him, Sir Hearth William. Hall was engrossed in the sight of seeing his favourite author. The author clung on to his walking stick and slowly climbed the stairs along with Erik. The author headed straight to the winners of the writing competition.

"Sorry for making you wait for me", said the author.Β 

"It's a privilege to meet you, Sir", said Henriques shaking the author's hand.

Hall had turned into a statue. He didn't even take his eyes off the author.Β  "Actually, my recent book didn't go very well as I expected. So I couldn't give the planned prize for the contest. I am out of money. Please understand", the author said, stuttering.

"Sir, "The Bluewing", the recent book you wrote is the best book I have ever read", Hall said. He finally came to life.

"Yes. I also thought it would go well. But these people are so unpredictable. I have just ten thousand euros which was the prize of one contest. I don't know what to do now, gentlemen", the author said with a sigh.Β Β Β 

"It's okay, Sir. I and Hall can share the contest prize", said Henriques. He had understood the author's position now.Β 

"If you need any other help, approach me. Not money, about writing stories, poems. I can help you whatever I can", the author said.

"Sir, we are writing a story. Could you please help us out in the plot of the story?", asked Henriques.

"Sure. Every weekend I am free. You may come here and write your story along with me", said author Hearth William. He was so happy that he could at least help them out.

The author handed the money to both of them and thanked them for their cooperation. Billy Henriques took half of the money and started walking towards the exit of the office.

"Hey, wait. Both of you. You guys are very lucky. No author can be good at writing fiction and nonfiction as well. So both Billys are going to be successful", said the author happily.Β 

"Thank you, Sir", shouted Billy Hall as he took the money and ran over to Henriques.

"Let's meet up every weekend, Henriques", Hall suggested.

"Good idea I would have forgotten it. Contact me in this number", Henriques said, handing over his card to Hall. Billy Henriques waved a goodbye to Erik and Hall and started approaching his house.

"What are you waiting for, Hall?", asked Erik.

"I came from the next city. I have to wait for my taxi which I have booked", replied Hall.

"Okay, sit on that chair and wait", said Erik.

"Sure", said Hall.

Billy Henriques was running to his house as it was very near to the writer's office.Β 

He thought,"I have a strong belief that this book will go very well. Billy Hall would also feel the same”.

He never thought that an unanticipated meeting will open up a great opportunity for him. He was waiting for the weekends cheerfully.

July 10, 2020 17:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

118 comments

Nivetha Manian
16:16 Jul 21, 2020

Very well written, Keerththan. Could visualise the entire story. Beautiful narration. The flow was good. Great job!! ( One small thought - I feel usage of Indian names could make it more relatable).

Reply

16:17 Jul 21, 2020

This competition is based on uk writing. So I thought it would be relevant to use english names. Thank you for commenting.

Reply

Nivetha Manian
17:42 Jul 21, 2020

OkπŸ‘

Reply

17:53 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you for your suggestions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anu Puthanveetil
15:49 Jul 21, 2020

Nice one, Keerththan. You kept me guessing till the end what was going to happen. All the best for writing more stories!

Reply

15:50 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lakshmi Priya
15:35 Jul 21, 2020

Very good story πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘

Reply

15:35 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:33 Jul 21, 2020

Keerthan..I am amazed at your talent.i liked your story very much. I am much impressed with your clear smooth flowing plot. Could have tried to end it with a twist to add a punch. Good luck ...keepgoing!!!πŸ‘Œ

Reply

15:34 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you very much. I will give a twist in my next story. Thank you for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:08 Jul 18, 2020

I will definitely continue the story for youπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vidhya Venugopal
02:14 Jul 27, 2020

A well written structured story. The characterisation of the Billys was good with distinct differentiation was impressive. You tell a moral in the story.. which is timely for this era... people hardly talk to strangers and each other in public.. its a good message that new connections open up new opportunities..... great work... keeping going good.

Reply

02:15 Jul 27, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karthi Keyan
22:14 Jul 23, 2020

Congrats keerthu.awesome story.The way you described the mannerisms of those two Billys were extraordinary.The narrative style was nice.loved the story overall..keep writing..we are are waiting for more.,πŸ₯°πŸ˜

Reply

01:51 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chetan Dabhi
15:34 Jul 23, 2020

Nicely narrated story !! You get more and more dipper as you read conversation between two Billy s Shows how things change And that changes their world and opens up new opportunities πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Reply

15:38 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:21 Jul 23, 2020

WOW! Amazing Poem...Keep it up n God bless u more ideas to write many more Lovely Poems....πŸ‘

Reply

09:26 Jul 23, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:05 Jul 23, 2020

Nicely written. It was tempting to read till the end. I think you have the passion for writing. Keep it upDr. Shafi πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ‘

Reply

06:14 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shruti Gupta
05:12 Jul 23, 2020

Great story, interesting keep going.

Reply

05:33 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Priya Gupta
17:44 Jul 22, 2020

Impressive writing at such age.. Great job kid..way to go ahead..

Reply

18:39 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rekha Pothiraja
16:49 Jul 22, 2020

Hi keerthan,excellent way of bringing up these imaginary characters at this age,nice story,good work ,keep it up,continue it ,congrats keerthan πŸ’πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Reply

18:39 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:27 Jul 22, 2020

Hi keerthan, I would say that your maiden venture had been successful. Good command of language, and smooth flow in the story telling. Bright future awaits you, keep writing. All the best for all your future endeavors

Reply

18:38 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arun D
15:37 Jul 22, 2020

I like the characters names... infact I love it. Great work Keerththan.

Reply

18:37 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Prateek Gupta
15:12 Jul 22, 2020

Commendable , way ahead of age !

Reply

15:16 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:53 Jul 22, 2020

Mature writing at this age...God bless... All the best keerththanπŸ‘

Reply

13:59 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chithu Lenin
13:23 Jul 22, 2020

Excellent writing keerthan. I could conjure up the characters of this story from your writing. Only a few are blessed with this exceptional skill at this age. Keep honing it. It is my conviction that you would reach the pinnacle of your career at a very young age. Wish you all the best....

Reply

13:59 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:12 Jul 21, 2020

Parexcellent narration... really mature English disproportionate to yo young age... could visualise the chair near the water cooler 😊πŸ’ͺ🏻

Reply

16:13 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dr. Ramesh Babu
15:54 Jul 21, 2020

Very Interesting. I am already hooked up to find out what the Billys are gonna write. (Actually what Keerththan is gonna)

Reply

15:55 Jul 21, 2020

I am glad you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.