4 comments

Christmas

Three months until Christmas

"You may kiss the bride!" the sermon said smiling as an applaud erupted throughout the crowd. I had heard it twice now, the first time with Mom's marriage, and this time with Dad's new marriage The cheers could be heard for miles, I was sure of it. It used to be just Mom, Dad, and I, but now it is Mom, Josh, my step-dad, Andrew along with Dad, Emily, my step-mom, Sophie, and myself. Well of course it is in two different houses, but now my mom said that I would get two holidays and two birthdays. But I still wanted to be one family.

Two months until Christmas

"Happy Halloween!" Mom said to the three of us on our way out the door in our costumes. Josh and Andrew were in costumes that were of characters that were best friends from whatever show they were from, but I was wearing a costume I made with Dad when I was younger. Mom suggested that I get rid of but I would never. I know that they moved on way too quickly. I don't think that I could ever move on.

One month until Christmas

"Happy Thanksgiving! Start with smaller servings, okay kids!" Emily said as we finished our prayer and rushed to grab our plates and fill them with turkey and mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. Except there wasn't any green bean casserole, Emily said that it wasn't healthy and that she wouldn't serve it in "her" house. I was so angry, but I was able to contain my anger until Emily's parents and my grandparents left. when they were gone I screamed at Emily for not making Mom's classic dish, and when Dad sided with her I was furious. The mext days I hid myself away in my room only opening the door when Dad gave me some food. He didn't even try to comfort me.

One week until Christmas

"Okay. So, you are going to your Dad's place on Christmas day and the day after you'll be at mine. You'll get double the gifts sweethart. Don't worry," Mom said with a sad smile. I was helping to decorate Mom's tree before I packed my bag for the three day stay at my dad's house. It would be the longest time their since the first few weeks after the divorce. Just before Dad picked me up I put my gift for mom underneath the tree for her to open on Christmas day.

At Dad's house

I left reluctantly but when I arrived at Dad's house and got to make cookies with Dad, it felt just like old times except Mom wasn't there to take pictures, after the cookies were in the oven we wattched a christmas movie and drank hot chocolate. About half way through the movie we ordered to pizzas, one cheese for Dad and one hawaiian for me. We ate happily until Emily and Sophie just had to ruin the moment. They came downstairs laughing loudly in their stupid matching pajamas. I wanted to run away and scream at them, but I knew that Dad would just take their side. So when Dad asked them politely to leave and that we were watching a movie, I was so suprised. We finished the movie, and took the cookies out of the oven and frosted/sugared them. I laughed as I smeared the bright red frosting up Dad's face. We laughed until are stomaches ached. We finished decorating the cookies and made some craftes and cards for the meighbors, since I wasn't about to not give cookie plates out to the neighbors, but Emily said that they didn't do that and I asked Dad but he, once again, sided with her. So, I took a small plate of the cookies up to my room along with some hot chocolate, and I watched Christmas movies until the sun set. When it was dinner time I came down in a slightly better mood and we had chinese takeout, Mom would never allow that to happen, ecspeaccially on Christmas Eve. But I knew it was no use argueing, so i sat there eating it reluctantly but happily. And after the meal we read a unch of old Christmas tales around the fire, another thing we never would have done if it were just Mom, Dad, and I. But I still sat still for the entirity of the boring stories. And just after we put the plate of cookies and eggnog out for Santa and some carrots for the reigndeer, we opened a gift that was already underneath the tree. Another freaking thing that we would have never done previously, but it was nice, I guess. It was different but nice. When we woke up in the morning we didn't rush downstairs since Emily "had to" make her and Dad some coffee, unlike when it was just the three of us, me and Dad would rush downstairs faster than the wind and start sorting out the gifts. So I waited patiently for what felt like forever until, Dad said that we could start opening presents. He sat by the tree handing out presents to us one at a time so we wouldn't rush. I was infuriated at this remark. So I, once again, waited patiently for Sophie to open all of her gifts, since the youngest goes first, and then I practically tore all of my gifts pen I was so impatient, as Emily put it, but in reality I was just angry that Dad fotgot about all of our traditions. During the meal, we gathered in a circle held hands and prayed, it was us, Dad's parents, Emily's parents and all of our aunts and uncles. It was packed, but after we finished the prayer, Emily said that the elders went first not the children. Again I was infuriated, but knew that there was no point in arguing. Mom came and picked me, and all of my gifts, up later in the evening. We drove for quite a while before pulling up to the house.

At Mom's house

Mom told me that she told her family that we would celbrate tomorrow. And I was glad because I loved Mom's family. We sent a letter to Santa that he would need to come tomorow as well. He sent a letter back agreeing and saying that he would happily make the trip to our house after Christams. I was exstactic. When we went to bed that night I was full on homemade meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and so happy to be home, being with Dad and Emily was interestingand very different, but all-in-all okay. When we woke up the next morning me and Andrew rushed downstairs, and started sorting immediatly, once Mom and Josh got settled we opened gifts one at a time but we went in an order, like, I would open one gift, then Andrew would open one gift, then Mom would, and then Josh. After gifts we ate a breakfast casserole with orange juice, and when every one got here we got even more gifts from our grandparents, and aunts and uncles, and when it was time for dinner we said our prayer and then me and Andrew rushed in grabbed our plates and grabbed everything we could fit before grabbing seats with two others on each side since we both have our favorite relatives, and then stiffed oru faces with food while everyone laughed. Before I got my seconds, I looked around and saw tons of happy smiling faces, talking and laughing with eachother. It was an awesome thing to have so many loving faces in one room all getting along. I still don't think that I'll ever get over the divorce but at least it will be bearable for the coming years. Full of love, hapimness, and family, the things that we'll help me survive for at least a few years.

November 22, 2020 04:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Amélie Veva
17:54 Nov 28, 2020

Heyy, its an interesting read. Couldn't have been easy juggling between two households but you did an awesome job with both houses and families. Best of luck 😊

Reply

Magarette Daya
00:45 Jan 08, 2021

Thank you so much that means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi, Margarette! This is a great story! When reading it I only spotted a few spelling errors, though. ecspeaccially (especially) argueing (arguing) unch (bunch) exstactic (ecstatic) interestingand (interesting and) and oru (our). Otherwise this is perfect! I would really appreciate it if you could read my story "Baby Dolls Aren't Always Comparable" and tell me what you think. This is great, keep writing! -Carolina

Reply

Magarette Daya
00:21 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you so much! And I will defiantly read your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.