0 comments

Sad Drama

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives.

Do you ever get the feeling that something is wrong?

Something is off.

Maybe it's the sandwich you ate this morning, maybe the pickle you put in was expired.

Or maybe it's the old man staring at your sister from across the bar.

...

"Come on, Abby! We're going to be late!" Joleen laughed at her sister who was still upstairs getting ready. "Hello!"

"Oh, shut up! I'm coming!" Abby laughed, pulling up her winter boots and zipping them up, this time not getting the zipper caught in the white fuzz.

Abby came running down the stairs, all their suitcases were already packed in the car, filled to the brim with clothes, food for the road trip, and decorations. After years they were ready to decorate their cabin.

Abby ran down, grabbing her sister's hand and dragging her to the car at lightning speed, their matching brown hair and blue eyes shining as the snow fell, leaving specks of white in their hair.

When they got in the car, they slammed the doors shut, laughing and giggling as they rubbed their hands together and turned on the heater.

"Next stop," Abby said in a big voice, "Our special cabin! Drumroll, please!"

Joleen clapped for the drumroll and the two laughed.

The cabin was their "special cabin." They came up with the name when they were five, and have never changed it. On a vacation to Tennessee they found it, secluded in the middle of the woods.

At first they were scared, it was small and rusty, and who knows if there was someone inside. So slowly, they crept in, finding no one.

It was small, but big enough for the two of them, with three bedrooms, a working bathroom and small little kitchen.

They go to that same cabin every year, never changing the name, slowly adding decorations and fixing it up by hand.

They insist that they are the only people who know that that cabin is even a thing.

"Let's Go, Mario!" Joleen said in a high-pitched voice.

...

"Dude..." Abby said, sinking into her chair in the passenger seat.

"Yes?" Joleen said, adjusting the rear-view mirror.

"Dude. I'm hungry."

"Dude... I've been thinking exactly the same thing." Joleen says, letting out a big and dramatic sigh.

"Red Robin's?"

"No..."

"McDonalds?"

"Not in the mood..."

They share a look and smile.

"Buffalo Wild Wings?" They said in unison, as they did every year, and as they do every year, they laugh about it.

...

As they pulled into Buffalo Wild Wings, they jumped out of the car laughing and go in.

No one would suspect the old guy in the corner, minding his own business, to be watching them,

As they ate their wings, and cleaned their hands on their napkins.

No one would suspect the old guy in the corner to be watching Abby.

When Abby laughed and clapped her hands at something Joleen said.

No one would suspect the old man in the corner to be memorizing her features.

When Abby went to go to the bathroom.

No one would suspect the old man in the room to follow her.

Abby and Joleen's relationship as sisters was like a castle. Strong. And they were family. Happy.

But grief can come to any family.

No matter how happy.

...

"Abby?" Joleen said, smiling, walking into the bathroom. "You've been in here for half an hour."

No response.

"Abby?" Joleen said, walking through the stalls, finding no one. "Abby, this isn't funny."

No response.

"Abby?" Joleen said, her heart beat increasing.

...

Joleen sat back in her chair, trying her best to remain calm. Abby is probably...

But hard as she tried she found no excuse.

Abby isn't here.

Tears burned in her eyes and saliva clogged the back of her throat.

"Would that be all for tonight, Miss?" The waiter said, returning.

"C-can I um, speak to the manager?" Joleen said, not making eye contact and trying her best to keep her voice even.

The waiter looked startled but said nothing, and she left.

Abby what's going on?

...

Joleen was brought to the manager's office for questioning.

But time went by in a blur and the questions rang in her ears.

When did you last see her?

Please describe what she looks like in detail.

How do you know one another?

I'm sorry but our cameras don't go into the bathroom.

...

Joleen was told to go to a motel where she would spend the night.

The motel was nice and they paid for her stay.

But there she gagged and coughed, hot tears burning down her cheeks, as she cried for Abby to be okay.

But it doesn't take a detective to figure out what Abby must be going through right now.

...

It took two days for Joleen to be called into the police station.

Her heart beat slowly. As if without Abby she couldn't function.

Joleen walked into the room. There, police men were gathered around, none looking at her. She sat in the chair in the middle.

A man with a paper and bag came in, sitting in the chair across from her.

"We're going to need you to remain as calm as you can." He said.

He put the bag on the table between them and pulled something out.

Joleen whimpered and screamed.

It was Abby's boot.

Blood all over it.

And at that moment.

Time stopped.

She stood up, tears running down her face. Anger and sadness, a mixture of emotions piled up.

Anger towards whoever did this.

Sadness for her sister.

And while she knew she shouldn't.

Anger for the police.

Why haven't they found her?

Is it really that hard?

Why would someone do this?

Abby was the one who was supposed to have a good life.

...

They found Abby's body a week later.

She had been dead for five days.

They found her in a lake.

Her physical features were deformed.

Joleen whimpered noises as she went through the pictures.

They could have saved her if they had been quick enough.

But by then it was too late.

November 18, 2020 19:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.