0 comments

Western Fiction Thriller

I heard the Thunder Chopper roaring down the road. The motor's guttural scream made Caleb sit up and start barking. "Quiet," I tell him. He whimpered but barked no more. I knew I had a few minutes before Greg would be here. You always heard the Chopper before you saw it. I put down my book and grabbed my gun. 


Across the sun-beaten plain I saw the black flash of machine and rider carving up the road, snaking around turns and rocketing down straightaways. All the while the motor's sound got louder as it got closer. I built that bike. I told him, "A loud engine lets your enemies know you're coming." I'm sure he still remembered that. I reckoned he didn’t remember me telling him that I never wanted to see him again. I held my gun beneath my poncho where we wouldn’t see it. He would expect that I was holding it, but it's better not to show it anyway.


As the Thunder Chopper pulled up to my home, Greg had that look that he always put on when he was about to pick a fight. I would know it, because I've seen him make that face many times, back when we rode together. The bike came to a full stop and the motor echoed across the dusty plain, rattling the walls of my home. When he killed the engine the sudden silence was as deafening as the motor's roar.


"Hey, big man," he said, breaking the bubble of silence.


"What are you doing here?"


"I know you told me you didn't want to see me again-"


"So you do remember?"


"Heh," he laughed without a smile, "Yeah, I remember. I also remember that you once said you would die on the road before you turned 50. How old are you now? 46? There's still time left." 


"I told you I don't want that anymore."


"Yeah, I know. But I thought I could change your mind." He started walking towards me. "You see-"


"That's far enough," I said while pulling the gun from under my poncho in a quick dash that made him flinch. For half a second I thought he would reach for his gun and I nearly pulled the trigger, but he held still and so did I. 


"Woah, now. David, come on, now, we don't need that." He stared down the barrel and I could see in his face that he was scared. He believed I would kill him.


"Get back on that bike and don't come back. If I see you again I'll kill you."


He backed away slowly, staring down my gun barrel. Now on the bike, he said, "I was just trying to help you."


"I don't-" the Thunder Chopper cut me off with a devil's laugh.


He said something to me but I couldn't hear him over the engine. But I read his eyes and I know this isn't the last time I'll see him. The bike peeled out and the tires kicked up a cloud of dust that engulfed me like a sand storm. The cloud of sand passed through me, scraping my skin and filling my lungs, and when it passed I saw the Chopper headed back the way it came. 


Nights are a long time coming out here. That's part of why I moved out here, so I can see anyone coming. When night finally does come it falls like a blanket over a bed of coals. The sun leaves but the heat stays and the air can be seen shimmering in the dim moonlight. Miles from anywhere, it's only me, my dog Caleb, and the native creatures cursed to stay here forever. Hard things, clinging to what little life can be afforded to them out here. The only difference between me and them is that I came here for a getaway. I used to roam the roads up and down and all around. Not anymore.


A bad man always has the chance to redeem himself. That's what I tell myself on those long hot nights when sleep won't come. I can't undo what I did, but I can stop myself from ever doing it again. Greg was right, he and I were two terrible bastards. I reveled in it. But then I didn’t want it anymore. He did and we split. It wasn’t pretty. 


I guess he’s spent the last few years still riding these roads, traveling, taking what he can, killing those who try to stop him. If he’s coming to see me, that means he’s desperate. Stole from the wrong people. Talked too much. Or maybe the universe just decided he’s finally gonna get what he deserves. I guess in the end everyone gets what they deserve and you can’t outrun your fate. I just don’t want to be the one to give it to him. After all the things said and done, I still love him. 


I watched the sun go down over that bleak horizon. The night makes more noise than the day, as all the animals come out and trek across the plain. Their howls and death rattles are carried on the wind like grains of sand, passing over me, and then lost forever. Just another grain in the desert. A coyote made the nightly call to the moon and Caleb joined him. When their cries died out I could hear that familiar engine once again.


I looked back and I saw four headlights. The Chopper’s engine is loud enough to cover up the sound of the other bikes. Four white dots in the distant dark are coming closer. Caleb starts barking. I haven’t got much time.


The one thing I loved most about Greg was his tenacity. He would never quit. I knew when we went our separate ways that one day I’d see him again. I told him I was done running the roads and he didn’t take it well. It ended with my gun pressed against his head, the same gun I pointed at him earlier this morning. Nearly pulled the trigger, then but I swore I wouldn’t kill again. I gave him the keys to the Chopper and hoped that one day he would give up the life, but I knew he wouldn’t.


The four bikes pulled up and killed the engines. The sudden silence was broken by that coyote howl, which Caleb picked up in harmony. Four riders. Greg only had two friends when I knew him, me and someone who had died before I met Greg. 


“David. Let’s talk.”


“I’m done talking.”


“I want you to meet these guys. I told them all about you. I told them you could shoot 6 men with only 5 bullets.”


“I’d only need 3 tonight.”


That made the other riders shift their feet and put their hands at their sides, ready to draw and fire.


“Ah, come on now. Hear us out.”


“Leave, Greg.”


Greg kicked a rock at his feet, bouncing towards me.


“You always were a stubborn SOB. That’s why I brought these guys.”


“I’m not going anywhere with you. I told you I gave that up.”


“Don’t you miss it? The open road? The speed? You used to be the baddest man around. Then you just changed. It’s a shame. A man like you belongs out there. You can’t tell me you don’t miss it. I know you.”


He started walking towards me and I pulled my gun. The other three riders pulled theirs but Greg put his hands up and told them to hold fire. He continued to walk towards me, only slowly. 


“Come on, now. David, if you were gonna shoot me, you would have done it by now. Let’s just talk. That’s all we’re here for. Just to talk. Let’s go inside.”


Caleb was at the window, clawing at the glass and barking. 


“You can put that dog up, and we’ll talk, ok?”


He put his hand on my gun and pushed it down. 


“See? It’s ok.”


He put his hand on my shoulder and the other three riders moved in around us, their guns still drawn and aimed squarely at me.


“Take us inside. You can keep the gun.”


Outgunned, I didn’t have a choice. I holstered my weapon and led the group into my home. I wrestled with Caleb who was snapping and snarling, just how I trained him to be around strangers. I put him in my bedroom and closed the door. Greg had taken a seat at my table while his new friends stood beside him. 


“Take a seat,” he said, so comfortable and in charge he sounded.


“What’s this all about,” I asked.


“We want you to join us. Come back to the open road. You can even bring the dog if you like. We can build a sidecar for him.”


“I won’t do it.”


“We need you. I didn’t come out here twice just to be told no. What’s it gonna take for you to change your mind? I’ll even give you the Chopper back. I know how much you must’ve missed it over these years. I’ve kept it in great shape. Can’t you tell? She’s as loud and as fast as she’s ever been, faster even.” 


He dangled the key in front of me like I was a child. 


“What do you say? Take her for a spin, for old times sake. I saw that thing you’re driving out there. Doesn’t look like much. See, that’s your problem. If you’re not in it, you forget what it’s like.”


“No, I remember exactly what it was like. That’s my problem. I don’t want your bike.”


“My bike? It’s your bike. You gave it to me, but I never felt like it was really mine. I’ve just been saving it for you.”


“After all this time, you come back to me. You need help.”


“Help? No. We just want your guidance. You always had the big brain for ideas, just thought that if we could get out there you’d fall right back into it. Like riding a bike. Like old times.”


“I said no.”


He sighed. “Yeah, I figured you would.” He waved his hand at me and two of the riders he brought with him picked me up out of my seat and held me by the shoulders. The third rider came around the table and punched me in the gut. I doubled over, out of breath, and coughed and gasped for air.


“I figured we would have to rough you up a bit. You never went down without a fight.”


I picked my head up but the rider punched me on the jaw, knocking my head to the side.


“I’m sorry, David, but you’re coming with us. Don’t feel bad. Once you get back on that machine out there you’ll forget all about this. We’re bringing you home.” 


He got up from the table and led the way outside, and the three riders pushed and shoved me out the door. Greg held the key up to my face and I snatched it from his hand. Walking over to the black and chrome horse was like stepping into a dream. It’s been years since I’ve ridden it. The key felt as light as a feather in my hand. I inserted it into the ignition and before I turned it, the coyote howled again. 


I turned the key and felt the machine shudder beneath me. The handlebars felt like a lover’s hands taking in my own. The other three riders got onto their bikes and joined the motor harmony. 


Greg pulled the gun out of my holster.


“I’ll take this,” he yelled, just barely audible over the motor.


Sitting on the seat of the Chopper, I felt safe even without my gun. Greg was right. I did miss it. The world is at the mercy of my acceleration. I revved the engine and the sound rattled the windows of my house. 


Greg leaned in close and said in my ear, “I’ll be here when you get back. Enjoy the ride.”


I hit the accelerator and left everything behind. The wind that blew in my ears was louder than the motor. The road welcomed me in a warm embrace. The stars above lit the way. Three riders behind me, I left them in the dust. The machine and I were one, carving out a path of absolute freedom. 


I thought of nothing but the road and the bike, deftly turning and expertly controlling the speed. I was lightning made flesh, striking the road with vengeance. But I gave all this up and I can’t go back to it. I brought the motorcycle to a complete stop and the three riders behind me caught up. Their weaker engines purred behind me, and they anxiously waited for some sort of signal. 


I turned the bike towards home and stared each of the riders down. Not a word spoken. Not that anyone of us could have heard each other anyway. I hit the accelerator but this time kept it at a slower speed. The riders kept pace for a while, but the call of the road was answered and they sped off to meet Greg before I got there. I cruised along the road, taking in the night. Even at this pace the Chopper felt like a raging bull, ready to be set loose. But it won’t be by me. 


Finally, after what must have felt like an eternity to Greg, I made it back home. I killed the engine and left the key in the ignition. 


“It’s a nice place you have here,” said Greg. “Homey.” 


“Get out of here,” I said. “Give me back my gun.”


He pulled out my gun and pointed it at me. The other riders stood still, almost invisible.


“Is this what you want?” His hand was shaking, voice cracking.


Clouds passed over the moon and the night was pitch black. I couldn’t see the shine off the gun, but I could see his eyes staring into mine. Everything else disappeared. The coyote cried for the lost moon and Caleb whined as well. A sharp gust blew sand over both me and him and it made Greg lower the gun and rub his eyes. 


He threw the gun on the ground and walked over to the bike without a word. He turned the key in the ignition and the Thunder Chopper moaned for its lost rider. The clouds passed and the moon was seen again, lighting him on the bike I gave him, deep blacks and shining chrome. He looked at me and said something, but over the engine he must have known I couldn’t hear him. He bolted off and the riders followed suit, unable to match his speed. 


I watched him tear apart the night like a hot knife through flesh. One lonely rider. When the four riders had gone over the horizon, the night became much quieter. The sounds of the night animals filled in the void; insects humming, birds cawing, and wild dogs crying. I went inside and into my bedroom, where Caleb sat on my bed. I lied down next to him and together we let the night song take us to sleep. 


June 04, 2024 15:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2024-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.