3 comments

Sad African American Friendship

 I heard a thundering knock at my door that jolted me awake. I noticed the doctor wearing a blue scrub walking in a brisk movement inside my cramped space. His eyes filled with grieve and horror. As I perceived him, my mind overflowed with thoughts of panic and anxiety. I acknowledged that whatever I was about to hear was about to mortify me. The doctor calmly said, "Hello Emily, we have found some critical data, your cancer has spread to your lungs and chest, and we have found that you only have a year or so to continue your life." and at that instant, I grasped my life as I recognized it was over.


“B- but what do you mean a year? Is there an antidote to this?” I said nervously; he replied, “I am afraid there is no remedy to this, I wish circumstances were different, and I can discern that you are unhappy, but there is nothing we can do.'' I praised the doctor and proceeded to my husband to notify him. I could not stop trembling, and my heart kept pounding faster and faster the more I recalled it. I kept imagining how my relatives would react if I succumbed to death, I was about to stand up, but my husband shuffled into the room, and I disclosed the news to my partner; he embraced me and told me graciously: "Do not sweat, everything will be alright at the end".


When my husband left, I felt like each part of my skin and bones fused into plashes of gooey viscous liquid. I couldn't manage the devastating revelation. I wept and screamed all my sadness and depression away until I was dehydrated. I knew I needed a diversion, an entertainment of sorts from my pity-self, just something to monetary transfer my consciousness from my soul and deliver me to a fairyland of delight and sweetness, then a plan leaped into my mind, what if I just imagined that place? I closed my eyes and imagined anything that could produce me to be comfortable or deliver me a humongous smile.


I look around and observe as I descend to the ground. Oh, how entertaining and exciting it is to be approaching the campground. I crash the floor feeling no pain, as I know this is my creativity, but I might also be insane. I observe the kids swinging and frolicking on the toys, all appear to make a bunch of noise. I ran toward the slide, where I slide with pride and stride. I finally felt happy for once, I could live here for months! I heard my husband calling my name, everything started disappearing like some sort of game.


I uncovered my eyes and noticed my husband gazing at me and patting me. He possessed an expression of worrisome, with a perplexed stare. I released "What do you want?" from my lips; then he questioned me, "What were you doing? Did something occur? Do you want to go out?" I answer his questions calmly, "I was imagining? Nothing happened, do not worry. No, I do not want to get out. I want to stay in this room.", then he hugged me with affection. I inhaled each second of it, then As I saw him leave. I remembered when I first met him. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with the words "Thursday". He had blue eyes, brunette hair. I snickered to myself and ran to him to strike a small conversation. I said, "Hello, sorry to disturb you, but I found you wearing a t-shirt with the words, Thursday? Do you know by chance that today is Friday?". He chuckled to himself, "Do you think I am just that idiotic? I did this to attract girls, and I guess it worked. My buddy will be paying me ten dollars today WOOOOO! by the way, do you want my number?". I said, trying not to smile, "Sure, I would love to!" and then time passed on, and we kept texting, calling, meeting with each other until he proposed to me, and here we are, watching him leave the room where I rest because of cancer, I shut my eyes and continued my fantasy.


I open my eyes again not knowing what to expect, I see a bright light my eyes want to reject. I had no other choice but to walk towards it, and see a guy asking me "may I have your permit?". I stutter nervously checking my pockets "I- I don't have a-" I feel a paper in my bag, I drag it out like a flag, and hand it to him confidently like I'm giving him a mag, he opens the gate and I see a big sign saying "welcome to Imagiland!" my jaw dropped, I walked around, the floor was made of cotton candy, I noticed my friend in the distance and shouted "BRANDY?". "what are you doing here?" said brandy, "well a bit of explanation from you would come in handy", "I always come here when I'm feeling down", "what even is this town?", "it's a-" everything started to dissolve around-


I reopened my eyes and noticed my husband's eyes filled with fury. He was approximately going to weep. He said, "THANK GOD YOU ARE AWAKE! I THOUGHT SOMETHING HAPPENED TO YOU. ARE YOU OKAY!" I gawked at him in bewilderment and said softly, "I was asleep, calm down?" he replied, "YOU WERE ASLEEP FOR FIVE MONTHS? NO, YOU WERE IN A GODDAMN COMA. I DON'T KNOW HOW THE DOCTOR DOESN'T KNOW HOW!", I said "Oh! I recalled I slept for one 7 hours?", he responded attempting to maintain his composure, "thank god, when the doctor admits you to leave, we will go outside, take a walk or something. You haven't left your room since we got here." I responded, pouting, "I don't want to leave the comfort of my room. I love it here." he answered, aghast, "You... love it in your room?" I said, "Yes, I just rest." he replied, "No, you're leaving with me." I replied, "No, what are you going to do? Drag a woman with cancer outside", he sighed and left my room in a huff.


When he disappeared, I began to ponder about Brady, Brady Harlistion. I witnessed him in "Imagiland". He was similar to how I viewed him last time we spoke. He had coffee-colored eyes, brownish hair, and average height. I yearn for him so extremely. We were inseparable in high school. We would regularly hang out together, and at the weekend, we would go to our neighborhood marketplace. He was the jackpot of friends, dependable, truthful, unusual, and astonishing. I still reminisce about him every day, but now he is gone from that frightful car crash from an intoxicated driver, and if I ever discover that drunk driver. I wish to assassinate him and his family, as he took my friend away. I wanted to meet him again, at least to say goodbye, even if it was in my imagination. It was better than nothing. I closed my eyes, expecting to be exported to a wondrous land, but when I opened my eyes, I was still in the real world.


Suddenly, I see brandy walk in with a tall face, looking at me with grace. He said, "Did you want to say goodbye before I reside?", I thought "Is this true, because if it's not, I will be blue. Why is everything rhyming, is it not weird timing?" I said, "Goodbye, I will miss your eyes. You will always be one of my allies. Wait but are you real?" he said calmly "Well, believe it, it's the real deal." he added, "Do you wanna come with me?" I said, "Where is it that you will be?" he said, "To the land of the heavens above, follow me to where we can fly above our worries, to a beautiful sea." he held his hand out, I caught it with no doubt. We started to fly. I closed my eyes for the last time we arrived here, a year ago.




March 12, 2021 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Elle Orthan
15:57 Mar 18, 2021

really like it good job faisal, keep writing

Reply

Faisal Altaher
19:08 Mar 18, 2021

Thank you!!!

Reply

Elle Orthan
20:01 Mar 18, 2021

of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.