0 comments

General

Willa looked at her watch. Five-thirty. There wasn't going to be enough time. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and she jumped a little, grabbing for it. Her co-workers all looked at her and she sank into her seat a little sending it to voicemail.

"Guess that's the end of the meeting, everyone." Marshall, the general manager, clapped his hands once and everyone filed out the door one by one.

Marshall waved her over. "I was wondering if you didn't have any plans tonight…."

"I do," Willa cut in. "Sorry. A friend of mine is having a birthday party and I still haven't found a gift yet." She tapped her watch. "I actually have to run."

"Oh yeah, understandable."

He looked so let down Willa couldn't help herself. "Maybe another time?"

Marshall perked up, "That would be great."

Willa got in her car and checked her phone. "Yes!" Fist pump. She missed a call but also a very important text. The local bookstore had a leather-bound copy of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn on sale. Sam was collecting all of Mark Twain's novels in leather-bound. Not first editions or anything fancy, just nice and old copies and this book would finish his Mark Twain collection.

She typed in HOLD PLEASE, started her engine and got a reply. That was fast. Just Sold L

Willa hung her head. "You've got to be kidding me." She opened a search engine app and Googled leather copy of Huck Finn near me. Not much but she clicked on a link to a bookstore in the mall. It looked like they had a copy but she wasn't sure if they still would.

Her phone buzzed.

"Hey Sam." It was the birthday boy himself.

"Willa, you're still coming tonight, right?" He was clearly excited. She could tell he was smiling from the way he formed his words, like he just ate the most delicious thing. "You won't get lost on your way to the restaurant?"

"One time, it was only one time I got lost meeting up with you." She was smiling, too.

He laughed. "Yeah, and with your GPS. That's talent."

"I'll be there, okay. I just have a few errands."

A long pause. "You don't have to get me anything, you know. Just be there at 7."

Sam knew her too well. "I'll be there. Save me a seat. I know how crazy your buddies are but they don't get to sit next to you." Not if she could help it. Tonight Samuel Shaara was going to fall for her. He'll unwrap a pristine copy of his favorite book and know, she's the girl for him.

"Are you there? Can you hear me now? Hello?"

"Sorry, I spaced out. I'll see you tonight, okay."

Now to get to the other bookstore and pray the copy was still there.

It wasn't. 

Willa was overwhelmed by the small of so many used and dusty books crammed into the small bookstore; it was heady in a good way. She loved the small of sun-bleached pages and old paper.

The store owner did a search on her computer.

"It looks like we sold it two days ago. Sorry. Maybe you would like something else?" She asked helpfully.

Will shook her head. "No, I wanted to give that book to my friend. It's his birthday and it's the only one he doesn't have still." She couldn't believe she was going to show up empty handed to the party. What if she was the only one who didn't come with a gift? And she was prepared to give him something random. She wanted to give him something that was as special to him as he was to her.

"Maybe I can check a few other stores in the area."

Willa perked up. "That would be fantastic! Thank you!" Maybe there was hope.

She waited as the clock ticked and tocked.

"I found one. It's a little far, though."

"I don't care. I'll go anywhere."

The owner sighed. "Are you sure? It's in a bookstore downtown."

"That's not too bad."

"In Salt Lake."

"Oh." She had to think about it. Was it really that important?

In the end she decided Sam was that important. She got the address of the bookstore and hopped in her car.

It was about an hour away which meant she would be late to the party. But Sam should be okay with his other friends until she showed up.

Traffic was getting heavy by the time she made it to the bookstore. It was an eclectic sort of place. When she walked it a bell of the door chimed and she was blasted by the smell of musty old books. She loved it. The book shelves were everywhere in various angles and sizes. Shelves were filled with paperbacks and hardcover books, sometimes two deep and three high. Among all of the books were odd knickknacks. Balls and bottles, just as old as the books they decorated. No space was left open. 

Something rubbed against her leg and she jumped back into one of the shelves. It didn't topple over but it looked it wanted nothing more than to dump it treasures at her feet. She caught a book that was shaken loose. Willa looked down to see what touched her leg and found a slightly chubby tabby cat.

She bent over and picked up the friendly cat, filling her arms with fluffy love. "Hello buddy," she said. "Do you know where Mark Twain is hiding?"

"He doesn't, but I do."

Willa turned around to find the sweetest looking old man.

"Are you an employee?"

He chuckled and shook his head. "Just a book lover but I know where all of the good ones are kept."

He led her to the back of the store where glass cabinets held all of the really old and very expensive looking books.

"Oh my. They're beautiful," she breathed.

Her eyes scanned the different titles. In front of those that were too faded or didn't say right on the front or spine what they were, little cards with the title and author were scribbled. There. Just to the right of Robert Louis Stevenson was Mark Twain. Her eyes caught a very beautiful leather-bound copy of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, just as they had advertised.

"It's not a first addition," the old man said coming to stand next to her. "But it's a very fine edition, don't you think so?"

"Yes," she sighed. "But it will probably be too expensive. I was hoping to get it for my friend. His birthday is today and I know he'll just love it."

The man's eyes twinkled in knowing. "He must be a very special friend." He slipped on a soft glove from his pocket and opened the cabinet. "I'll tell you what. You tell them I helped you find it and they'll give you a deal."

He handed her an extra glove and then the book.

Her phone buzzed. Sam asking where she was.

"Oh my, I've got to go." She turned to thank the nice man but he was gone.

She rushed to the counter and handed them the book. I wanted to know how much this was, please. A nice old man said to tell you he helped me find it."

The girl at the checkout desk smiled at her. "That's Norman. He's the owner."

"Really? No wonder he seemed to know his way around."

The girl smiled again, "That comes to three-hundred dollars."

Willa's jaw dropped to the floor. "There's no way. I couldn't find any under a thousand."

"This one is." She winked at her. "Norman helped you find it."

Willa paid still in a daze and amazed by her good fortune. "Thank you," she said. "And thank you Norman."

Maybe next time she would bring Sam here.

She hoped he was okay waiting for her as she rushed back, fighting traffic the whole way.


Willa walked in restaurant and lifted the bag in triumph. "I made it!"

She was expecting a full and boisterous party to already be in swing but Sam sat alone. Ripping his napkin and sipping a glass of water. "You're late."

"I'm not that late." Willa looked at her watch and grimaced. "Okay, I'm really late." She looked around the restaurant. It wasn't that full that she would miss anyone she knew. "Where is everybody?" She asked walking over and placing the bag in front of Sam.

He shrugged, not even looking at her. "No one else was invited."

Willa plopped down in the chair next to him and tried to catch his eye. "What do you mean, 'No one else was invited'? You told me we were having a party to celebrate your birthday together…." She trailed off as dawning hit. "Together," she gestured between the two of them. "As in you and just me?"

Sam nodded. "What took you so long?"

She had to remember to breathe, to swallow, to think. He wanted to be alone with her? Did that mean that he felt the same way about her? Sam wasn't happy with her now, though. Did she mess it up already?

"I wanted to find something special for you but it was harder than I thought."

He scoffed. "You didn't have to bring anything. I didn't want anything."

"How was I supposed to know that?" Willa slumped in her chair and it squeaked a little like it was backing her up. "I didn't think I would be missed. I thought your other friends would be here, too."

"I know. But I didn't want to spend my birthday with any buy you." He finally looked at her and she felt like melting under his soft brown eyes. "The best gift you could have given me tonight was your time." He took her hand and held it gently between his calloused hands.

"I can do that," she said feeling a little lightheaded. He was holding her hand. Her brain was trying to process what was happening but it kept screaming incoherently which made it difficult.

He smiled and said, "I'm glad. But I'll keep this gift, too.

August 09, 2019 23:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.