ROADS OF REFLECTION.

Written in response to: Set your entire story in a car.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Drama

The engine roared to life as Alex settled into the driver's seat of his weathered sedan. The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm, orange glow over the landscape. He adjusted the rearview mirror, catching a glimpse of his own tired eyes. It had been a long day, but the driver ahead promised a chance to escape, if only momentarily.

As the miles stretched out before him, memories of better days flooded Alex's mind. The car became a vessel of nostalgia, carrying him back to the moments of joy and laughter. The radio played a song that once meant a world to him, and he found himself lost in thought, relieving past conversations and stolen glances.

He recalled all his memories he had had. All the "souvenir d'enfance." All the doubts of life and how everything had made life difficult for him. The Death of his father was what hit him the most and led her to be admitted to a hospital. It was also the same thing that made him to become strong. To face all the life difficulties without giving up. Always ready to face his day ahead.

But the past was a double-edged sword. Alongside the joy, it carried the weight of regrets and heartaches. The miles blurred together as Alex navigated the winding road, each turn a reflection of the choices he had made. He recalled the missed opportunities, the words left unsaid, and the parts not taken.

He remembered the incident where her girlfriend denied her proposal due to his personal status. He had been depressed to the extent that he began to use drugs as a brain washing stimulant. In order to relieve his stress, he chose to use strong drugs. And with time he could no longer do without them and thus he became a drug addict. All his wages went on the drugs, and he couldn't live the normal life.

A sudden rainstorm began to pour, its rhythm echoing the turmoil within Alex's mind. The windshield wipers struggled to keep up, mirroring his attempts to clear his thoughts. He found himself pulling over at a roadside diner, seeking shelter from the downpour.

Inside the air was a thick with the aroma of coffee and the low hum of conversations. Alex took a seat at the counter; the worn leather of the stool reminded him of the countless travelers who had passed through. The waitress Maggie, approached with a kind smile that seemed to understand more than words ever could.

"Long drive?" she asked, pouring him a cup of tea.

AAlex nodded, his gaze fixed on the rain streaming down the window.

"Yeah, just needed some time to think."

Maggie leaned in slightly her eyes filled with empathy.

"You know sometimes the road gives us the space we need to make peace with our thoughts."

He looked at her struck by the wisdom of her words. As the rain continued to pour outside, Alex found himself opening up to a stranger in the way he hadn't expected. He shared his regrets, his hopes and the constant battle between his heart and mind.

Maggie listened intently, her Prescence a comforting anchor in the storm. She shared stories of her own journey, her words a reminder that no one was without struggles. The hours slipped away as they talked, the dinner a sanctuary where the souls found solace in each other's company.

He discovered that Magie was her girlfriend. She had changed in appearance that he couldn't discover it was her at first sight. Till she narrated her life story that he discovered she was once her girlfriend that had denied his proposal. He discovered that she had already moved on with life and she had kids of her own.

"Do we know each other from somewhere," Alex asked Maggie looking straight at his face. He thought he was confusing her with someone else. He could not accept the fact that she had already moved on with her life. He could not figure it out ....He thought that one day she could wait for her and return back to him. But that was it time does not stay still so did she.

She looked up and then down. She could not imagine he was Alex. He thought he had already moved on with life or maybe he had already left this world to be in another world where she could never reach him. Only her imagination could bring them together. But she was wrong. They were nothing else they could do so they embraced each other for all that happened was all done and could not be erased.

When they finally eased, Alex realized that his heart felt lighter than it had in years. He thanked Maggie for her kindness and paid his bill, leaving the dinner with a newfound sense of clarity. The sedans engine purred as he merged into the highway once again, the road ahead now an open book.

As down broke on the horizon, Alex's tired eyes caught a glimpse of a breathtaking sunrise. The color's painted the sky in hues of pink and gold, a stunning reminder that even in the darkest of nights, there was always a promise of a new day. He smiled as he drove, the weight of the past finally lifting from his shoulders.

The miles continued to stretch out before him, each one a symbol of his journey-both physically and emotional. The car became more than just a mode of transportation, it became a cocoon of self-discovery and healing. With each passing mile, Alex felt more than connected to himself and the world around him.

As the sun reached its zenith, Alex knew that his time on the road was coming to an end. The sedan pulled into the rest area overlooking a tranquil lake. He turned off the engine and stepped out of the car, taking a deep breath of the crisp air. The water shimmered before him, a mirror reflecting the journey he had undertaken.

With a sense of closure, Alex whispered a silent goodbye to the past, releasing the regrets that he had held him captive for so long. The wind carried his, and in that moment, he felt truly free. He felt as if the burden he had been carried for a long time can been offloaded from his back. He could smile again like everybody else.

As he got back in the car and started the engine, a new song began to play in the radio. The lyrics spoke of second chances and the beauty of starting a new. With a smile on his lips and a heart full of hope, Alex merged onto the highway once more, ready to embrace whatever lay ahead of the open road of life.


August 03, 2023 14:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Corey Melin
21:18 Aug 06, 2023

Very nice story. A couple of critiques. The pronouns you use with Alex and Maggie there looks like spots you use ‘she’ when it should be ‘he’. Also not sure if you have heard of pro writing. The basic is free to use. I use it since I’m using my imagination and little when it comes to pronunciation so many errors to correct. Nice read

Reply

Euodia Albright
10:10 Aug 12, 2023

Thanks Corey....I think il look at it though I hadn't heard of it. Thanks once more for the comment and information.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.