2 comments

Drama Mystery Thriller

I was standing there, blood all over my hands. I was sobbing and crying. I don’t remember what happened, but it sure hurt so much, I was scared to death. I don’t know what is up with me, I’m being delusional. It is not the first time that this occurred, I’ve being locked down to a mental center more than once.

I don’t know how my husband does this, how he can stay calm in situations that are completely out of my control. I just stay here in this gigantic house all day, alone, I don’t talk to anyone, I don’t go out, he takes care of everything. I’m somehow dangerous for other people. He just sticks with me in every situation. I can’t recall what it’s true and what is not, and that’s messed up.

I just remember that my marriage is or was a fairytale, we were happy at that time. So many smiles, so many joys and incredible memories. Sometimes, I get flashbacks of that period, it just makes me sad, how we got here with all the hospitals and the doctors, I regret this period so much. It’s not lack of trying but every time we attempt to do any activity, I just get a flash back, go out of my mind and start yelling and throwing things around me. I don’t know how to act around him anymore. I’m afraid I might hurt him but of course I don’t want to tell him that. So I decided to leave, this is not fair for him or for me, we have to go our separate ways.

-I have something important to tell you

-Well, what is it?

-I think I should move; I’m making you unhappy and you don’t deserve this situation

-You don’t know what you’re saying, that’s not true, I like taking care of you, we are a family and one day this is going to be behind us and things will be back the way they were.

-But..

-Please, finish your dinner, and here is your medicine, we’re almost out, I’ll go tomorrow to the drug store.

-Thank you.

Even though, I wasn’t happy with what he said, what could I do or reply? The medicines I’m taking, are altering my judgment, my way of thinking and acting or I am delusional again?

I had a crisis that night, I couldn’t sleep, and neither could he. He had to tie me to the bed, so I wouldn’t hurt myself or him.

-Good morning Jade! Says Emma when answering the door

-Good morning Emma, Are you ready for your monthly analysis?

-Yes, thank you for coming

30 minutes later

-It’s done, the doctor will call for the results, I hope it’s good news.

-Thank you, have a nice day. Says Emma closing the door.

-Would you want to go out for a walk Emma?

-I’d rather not to

-Come on, it will be beneficial claims Michael, her hsuband

-Okay

Everything seems fine and calming so far, until Michael tries and grabs my hand, I had a brutal flash back of a fighting scene with someone and again all the blood on my hands. So I went back home immediately.

-I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have taken you out, I really thought it would be good for you after all this time. I don’t know what happened, are you okay?

-I’m fine, don’t worry, I think it’s just something I have to get used to. I just need some sleep

-Okay, here is your medicine, and good night.

-Thank you, good night!

I decided to stop taking my medicine, so I just hid them under my tongue and flushed them down the toilet when he left. I don’t know when and why I started breaking down, but I was determined to know what’s going on with me. How come I have no friends and family that would call or visit me, that’s odds, especially considering my actual mental health.

It’s been a week now without taking any of those devil pills, and I feel great, I started to notice things…

-Hello, yes it’s Micheal Morgan… yes you can communicate me the results and I’ll let Emma know.

I overheard Micheal on the phone with the doctor, I assume, I sure didn’t mean to eardrop but…

-Yes of course I’ll take her at the end of the week to the hospital for some more exams. Thanks for your call.

I waited all day for him to tell me this news, that something was wrong with me and that the doctor wanted to run more tests, but he didn’t. I thought maybe that’s suspicious, or maybe he forgot.

Over dinner, I decided to make an effort and sure had a lot to ask

-Michael, how did this happen, I mean how did it all started?

-You don’t remember? Because you asked this three days ago and I … look, don’t worry honey he said touching my hand, I’ll start from the beginning.

I sure found this really weird, because I haven’t asked this at all, well that day when I decided to not take my medicine anymore I started to journal, and document every single day, not that I had much to tell, but to not forget anything and I would read everything I write down the day after and I’m pretty sure I didn’t ask him that question before, so why is he lying to me?

-When your parents died, you started having panic attacks, and you sure didn’t accept their deaths, so you started hallucinating. And things got more complicated because you didn’t want help.

I sure didn’t believe a word he was saying, but just acted sad and cried a little so he wouldn’t be doubtful.

The next day, I planned something, now that I’m sure my husband is a liar. I’ve been faking some of my panic attacks and crisis that I didn’t got since I stopped taking those pills. I took a cab and went straight to the hospital. I knew which one it was, it was written on Jade’s blouse, my home health nurse.

-Hi I’m Emma Morgan and I need to see my doctor right now it’s urgent.

I sure was a little freaked out, and paranoid that Micheal would follow me, or discover where I went.

When I got to see my doctor, he explained that there is no trace of the treatment they’ve given me, as they have told Micheal. So I showed him the pills I’ve been having, and after running some tests, he told me that these were the reason of my blackouts, my hallucinations and attacks. I can’t explain to you how I felt at that moment, every single memory that I have of my happy wedding just crumbled in one second. And the only question that popped into my head was “why?”  I didn’t know the response to this question obviously, but, one thing I was sure about "I had to stay the hell out of this house, and far away from Micheal".

-She’s still breathing, Emma stay with us, stay with us !

-Two holes in her belly, she’s bleeding into her abdomen, we need to get her surgery now!

I overheard these voices, I was unconscious but oversaw in a blur a lot of doctors around me, all the blood on my hands, and before I go into the emergency room, I saw him he was standing there, watching me.

September 29, 2020 19:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Matthew Gregory
04:49 Oct 11, 2020

I loved this story. Well paced with a good sense of building tension. The only (small) criticism was that I wasn't quite sure exactly what happened at the end. It is very difficult to balance saying too much verses saying too little. Just an extra word or two might make it clearer that he shot her (which is what I assume happened). What a great read though. You help the reader get into the protagonists mind so well with the little details and the ending, although 'predictable' was still well handled and satisfying. Well done.

Reply

Dorra Bohli
18:17 Oct 15, 2020

Thank you so much! Actually it was done on purpose so it will be open to different interpretations. But I'll try to do better next time !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.