2 comments

Adventure Fiction

I always wonder what that blue dot in the night sky is. The blue dot shines brighter than all the stars. I look through my telescope every night seeing the blue dot and thinking why are you up there?

One night I asked my parents about the blue dot and they always dismiss me. Then late in the middle of the night I overheard my parents talking. They were talking about what I asked them. Is the blue dot that important that they have talk in secret?

I did research on my own and discovered that Salvation is the second home to humanity. I was shocked. Now I was even more curious because beyond the city is a ship. In my research I discover this ship was the first ship to land on this planet. I have to go there.

The history books always tells us Salvation is the first home to humanity, the books are wrong. They tell us only what they want to us to know.

Salvation is not a perfect place to live. Maybe it's because of how we were built. Salvation is separated by walls. On one side is the Elite class where I live. The middle class lives next door to us. Beyond the city is the working-class and in the boundary lives the lowest of lows. The people we don't associate with at all.

From my balcony, I look down on Salvation looking at ways I can leave the city. I know my way around the Elite class but getting out of here is tricky. The inner wall is guarded by the Elite patrol.

I studying my home because I have decided to go on a journey to the ship to learn more about where we came from. I want to know if our history is repeating itself. There's a lesson in stars I need to discover.

I pack my belongings that I will need. Money, water, food, medicine, blanket and my journal. I take my map of Salvation out and mark down the safe spots and the dangerous ones. There are a lot of dangerous spots. I will have to be strong to get through this. I need to dress not like a rich girl but somewhere in between middle class and lower class.

Attracting attention will only make my journey more dangerous. There's more to this journey then seeing the blue dot. The history of humanity is out there waiting to be discover.

My journey begins tonight. I wait until my parents are asleep. I open my bedroom window. I climb down the tree. I tip toe around my house. Shoot the lights are on. I look in the window and see my mother. I duck out of sight. I look back again and see the lights are off. I carefully walk to the gate and open it. I step out into the darkness that is Salvation.

I have to be extra careful not to make any noise. I watch every alley way, watching every home, looking both directions. I see no one. I pass my best friends house, only if she knew what I'm doing right now.

I almost at the gate and just as I feared, the gate is heavily guarded. The wall is manned day and night. Roving patrols are every where. I find to find a weak spot. I look at the wall and finally find a weak spot. It's at the end of the wall. I have to be careful crossing the wall. The Elite patrol know me because of who my father is.

Here I go. I put my sweater on, place the hood on my head and carefully walk along the side of the tower. I look up and see a guard above me. Please don't see me, I whisper. I step carefully over some rocks. The patrols are coming back. It's now or never.

I hasten my pace to the weak spot. I look back and see the guard is not in the tower. He's with the patrol. They are not looking my way. I duck behind a tree. I look out again and they are not looking my way. Okay here I go. I run to the weak spot and go through it.

I made it to the other side. The middle class is tricky. It's very narrow filled with so much pot holes. I don't want to waste too much time here. I walk fast avoiding the pot holes. Some I can't avoid. I trip over them. I get back up and keep walking.

I walk and walk not stopping for anything not even when I hear noises. Rumors have it that some people with in the middle class have become delusional with the Elite class. I understand why by looking at how the people live.

I come upon a house where I see people some of who I know and others that don't belong. I hear them airing their grievances towards the Elite class. This is not my problem so I don't really care.

I run to the wall. I see no guards. I easily walk to the other side. Wow, this place is so lively. The working class people are so alive. So many different kinds of people all out in the streets having fun. A stark differences form the Elite and middle class.

People are dancing in the street, cooking even selling beautiful items. I have never seen anything like this before. I'm so glad I get to experience this even if it's for a short time.

The people don't recognize me which is good. I stay in the working class for a while longer until I get the feeling someone is watching me. My time here is up. I make my way through a large crowd and disappear. I run to the outer wall and disappear.

I'm in the most dangerous part of Salvation, the boundary. The boundary is where no one crosses. This land is wild and untamed only the lowest of Lowes live here. These people are known for rebelling against Salvation. They don't taking kindly to intruders especially one from the Elite class.

What is that smell? Oh My God! It smells so bad here. It's coming from the settlement. Thank God the smell doesn't reach Salvation.

I walk on the outer side of the settlement but that smell is following me. I hope no one sees me. This nagging feeling someone is following me is giving me the chills. Now I'm hearing nosies. I run to a bush and hid.

I see people coming. They look like wild beast. Their clothes, their hair, their shoes is so disgusting. It's unlike anything I ever seen. These people don't care about their appearance. I wait for awhile until I know they are gone.

I get up and leave. my map tells me about to leave the boundary but before I do I have to pass another dangerous part of Salvation, the guards guarding a small down version of the wall. These guards are more ruthless then the Elite patrol.

Slowly, I make my way to the wall. Damn! look at those men. Long hair, long beards covering their face and those eyes. They give me the goosebumps. Now for the hard part. How do I get pass the guards?

I look up at the sky. The sun is about to rise. This is not good. If I'm going, it's now or never. With the sun out, I have to wait in this boundary until it's dark, It's dangerous for me to stay here longer than I have too.

I look back at the guards, they are no longer there. Where did they go? I move out from where I am and walk to the wall. I inch closer to the wall and to my astonishment the guards are sleeping. I caught a huge break.

I climb up the wall and down the wall and into the wilderness that is my home planet Nisalara Terra. Nobody in Salvation ventures into the wilderness. A vast unknown land that holds so many secrets.

I walk in to dark forest with noting but wild noises all around me. I turn my flash light on. I look all around me and see the most amazing plants, trees and flowers. So many different shapes and sizes. The forest is dense. I wonder how the plants, trees and flowers survive. Light probably takes a while to breach the forest.

I take out my map and see I'm a few miles from the ship. I put my map away and begin to walk. I hear so many strange nosies I never heard before. They are scary yet captivating.

The feeling of being followed is still bothering me. Ever since I left the working-class section, I had the nagging feeling someone is following me. I don't want to look back because that will make me more nervous than I already am.

I continue walking through the wilderness. The light is slowly shining in making the plants, trees and flowers even more beautiful. I wish I knew this existed. Little insects strange but cute are beginning to appear. I look at them in awe.

This place and is so calming an peaceful. I welcome the quietness. I continue on my way. I can't believe I'm almost at the ship.I hope I get the answers I'm looking for.

What's that noise? I stop when I hear a growl coming from the bushes. I stop and very carefully turn around. Dark, menacing eyes are glaring at me. I back away. I trip on rock and twist my ankle. The creature comes out of the bush and is slowly walking towards me.

I quickly get up and and run as fast as my legs can take me. My ankle is killing me but that doesn't stop me. I keep running and running. The creature is right on my tail. Come on Genesis you can do it. My legs re burning me. I fall. I cover my head and close my eyes waiting for the creature to pounce on me but it didn't.

"Are you okay?" I look up and see a strange man looking at me. He looks like the people from the boundary. "I'm okay." I tell him.The strange helps me up. I say thank you. I turn around and leave.

I hear footsteps behind me. he's following me. "Why are you following me?" I ask him. "Not many people like you come to these parts."

"I'm on a journey to the ship." I pay no further attention to the stranger. I take a drink from my water bottle. That feels good. I peek behind me. He's still following me. Anyways I'm making good timing. I pass a brush of trees and up ahead is the ship.

I can't believe I made it. "That's the first ship, the first landing spot." I look at the stranger and ask him "How do you know that?" he grabs my hand and leads me to the ship. "You know the truth about where we come from." He nods.

"The ship came from the first world and tells the story of the first home. Come I'll show you." To read about is one thing but to see in real time is something else.

I will finally get the answers I want. This is the ship our ancestors took from the first world to come here. The stranger opens the door. I follow him in. wow, I'm looking at a time capsule.

"Who are these people? I ask. All around me are pictures of people from the first world. "They are the builders of Salvation. They came from the first world.

This is incredible. "How come we don't know this? The stranger looks at me like I have three heads. "Because the first world was destroyed by our ancestors and they didn't want to repeat history."

I ask the stranger "We are repeating the same mistake they did." He nods. "By keeping the truth." The stranger tells me more about the first world.

He shows me a telescope. He tells me to look. I look through the telescope. I see a beautiful blue planet, the same planet I always see through my telescope. "It's the first world." Wow, I can't believe I'm looking at the first world. This is where we come from.

I stay at the ship awhile longer taking everything in. My journey to the ship was dangerous but it was worth it. I make many more dangerous trips to the ship to learn more about us.

June 30, 2023 01:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric E
10:41 Jul 07, 2023

Very intriguing premise with a lovely opening. Good sense of urgency and suspense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:40 Jul 06, 2023

Your story was captivating and very creative. You did a great job of painting the picture of her journey and pulling the reader into it. Nice job.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.