Tusks and Dagger Part Thirteen: Sir Acorn Has A Debt

Written in response to: Write a story about someone facing death for the first time in their life.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Sir Acorn sat in my pocket, Mina flying above us. Her large form blocked the sun every now and then, a village of black brick homes came into view. It seemed abandoned, all of my companions shifting uncomfortably behind me. Poking a building, the brick proved to be solid. A full figured apparition darted behind me, Mina rubbing her snout against. Smoke curled out of her nose, my boot knocking into a beveled gravestone. Kneeling down, my fingers read the name George Knotts. Looking around, dark energy swirled around like fog. What type of place was this?  The only one who hadn’t really faced death among us was Sir Acorn himself, the little creature always finding a way to duck out of the way. Even when we went back to his home, he was never in real danger. That was until now, a masked necromancer snatched his tiny body. His silky white hair cascaded down his back, the two lords faces’ twisted in confusion. The seven foot tall man was squeezing the poor demon squirrel, bony hands shooting up from the ground. Cold bony fingers wrapped around my ankle, everyone raising their weapons. 

“Come now brothers.” His deep voice thundered, his back robes dancing in the blustery wind. “Would you really prevent me from collecting my debt from our furry black friend?” The two brothers rushed forward, large white wolves running alongside Lord Kanama. Chains wrapped themselves  around Lord Karama’s hand, their brother tilting his head. Sir. Acorn bit down on his hand, a small gasp shooting from the older brother’s lips. Dropping him, my body charged towards him. Relief washed over me, his tiny soft body landing in my palm. His pocket watch hung in his paw, the cruel man smashing in before he could use it. Sir Acorn quivered in my palm, the poor thing really having no way out. Merlin spun his clock around,  Maryanna leapt off of his back a blue tunnel of time swirling around us. A dead demon snake exploded from the tunnel swallowing her whole, the two lords charging at him. The black chains whipped by his head, his hands grabbing his chains while swinging it around his wolves necks. Giving one firm yank, their heads rolled to my hands. Black blood splashed onto his black plague mask, Lord Karama rolling to his feet. Wrapping his fingers around his neck, gurgling sounds bubbled from his lips. Mary and Kara were seconds from launching themselves at him, my arms holding them back.  

“We need to approach this wisely.” I growled through gritted teeth, another hand trying to drag me down. “Why don’t you take care of the snake with Boran while I handle this?  What was his debt, you idiot!” Curiosity twinkled in his eyes, him dropping his brother on the ground. Sauntering up to me, my foot stomped on the hand trying to grab my ankle. His black gloved finger traced my cheek, his beak poking my forehead. 

“It doesn’t matter to you, now does it.” He crooned cruelly, my brows furrowing. “If you must know, he owes me his freedom for feeding him that one time. I, Lord Somata, doesn’t forgive a debt.” The twins leapt into the air with Boran, attacking the dead snake. Grabbing him by the collar, my hand knocked off his mask. His right black eye glared at me, his left red eye shimmering with tears. He wasn’t a total dick, I thought to myself. 

“How about we kill your master together?” I offered kindly, offering him my hand. “Then you can be free to do as you bloody well wish. Instead of his freedom, how about my assistance? I tend to help everyone.” Slapping my hand away, a black energy canceled the time tunnel. Blackness swallowed the blue, my face paling. Cold sweat dripped off of my brow, a black demon towered twenty feet above us. His black claw reached out for Lord Somata, his brother’s chain wrapping around its wrist. Their blades finally slid into their palms, determination on their faces. Blue energy swirled around my arms, blue flames devouring my scythe. One of her black hearts beat in his chest, a thick layer of scaly armor covered his body. Red eyes glared down at us, large black horns curling into the sky. Scanning him for a weakness, a soaking wet Maryanna popped up next to us. Sir Acorn paws were digging in his vest pocket. A red pocket watch sat in his paw, his little body scurrying up the body of this demon. Stopping on his chest, a large fist was swinging down towards him. Launching into the air, my scythe prevented him from getting hit. Blue ashes drifted aimlessly, him slamming his pocket watch into his chest. A bell tolled, the pocket watch sinking into his chest. Red flames filled cracks, molten lava decaying his armor. Pushing me off of him, his tiny body hopped into my pocket. 

“Force field, now!” He ordered sharply, my scythe spinning around. “That is the pocket watch called The End of Time. If you don’t protect anyone else, they will reach their end of time.” He didn’t have to say anymore, the two of us  landing gracefully in front of all my wheezing friends. The flames grew stronger, magma dripping onto the ground. The full bodied apparition stepped up next to me, his hand slamming the tip of my scythe into the loose dirt. His kind eyes met mine, my lips chanting a spell of protection. A final bell tolled, a sea of red flames enveloping my newly formed layer of protection. Blue vines curled over it, lava devouring the ground around us. One explosion after another danced down the twenty foot body, a wave of black blood crashed over us as chunks rained down into the lava. The lava hardened to black rock, all of us looking at Sir. Acorn in disbelief. The layer of protection faded out, another wave of black blood washing over us. All of us groaned irritably, storm clouds gathering above us. The black heart landed in my palms, my blue flames devouring the heart. Dropping the ash on the ground, my hand hovered in front of Lord Somata’s face. 

“Are you just going to lay there or are you going to join my party?” I queried tiredly, wiping some of the blood off of my face. “You deserve a second chance just like everyone else.” Lord Somata gazed up at me with childlike wonder, heavy raindrops dripping down his face. Steam hissed off of the newly formed black rock, a bit of the blood sliding off of us. Taking my hand cautiously, his head bowed in shame, my eyes falling on the dark mark on his neck. 

“Did she curse you?” I inquired urgently, shifting through my bag for the curse cleansing spell. “I get rid of it for you? How does that sound?” Confusion twisted his face, my fingers wrapped around the white chalk. Everyone watched as I drew out the circle, his eyes falling on my blue rose tattoo. Crushing the ingredients with a mortar and pestle, this would allow the spell to work faster and more efficiently. Sitting him in the circle, my trembling hands spread the powder around the circle. Taking off his palm, inky blackness dyed his arm. Cutting his palm, I filled a cup of his blood. Running my palm along my scythe, my blood mixed with his black blood.  Blue energy purified his blood, the liquid sinking into the symbols as I poured around the circle. 

“Mystic force of light, dark force of evil combine to permit me to rid myself of this curse.” I chanted desperately, blue light glowing around his arm.  The light died down, relief washing over me. A rose tattoo curled up his arm, his mark fading away from his neck. Tears of relief flooded from his eyes, his other eye still remaining black. 

“Why are you being so kind to me?” He asked numbly, rubbing his arm. “I was a dick, and one of my monsters ate your friends.” How could I forget? Maryanna was shooting daggers into the back of my head, Merlin attempting to calm her down. Chuckling to myself, the scent of a hot spring wasn’t too far away. My weapon faded away, the rain letting up.  

“Mina always told me that people always need a second chance.” I explained calmly, wrapping his hand up. “Besides, you probably want revenge on the evil spirit of the mirror. Don’t worry, revenge is a normal emotion.” Guiding him to the healing springs, I dropped a washcloth into the steaming body of water. Taking off his other glove, his skin was still black. Dabbing at his skin, the curse melted off. Teardrops crashed to the ground, branches snapping behind us. Lord Kanama and Karama sat down next to us with towels in their arms, warm smiles on their faces.

“Welcome back, big brother.” They chirped cheerfully, embracing him tightly. “We missed you so much. Thank you for sacrificing your mental health for us.” Tossing them the washcloth, looks of confusion flashed in their eyes as I turned to leave. Lord Somata grabbed my bloodied sleeve, a gentle nervous grin dimming his face, fright still ripe in his eyes. Pulling to the ground, his arms wrapped around my shoulders. His painful memories flooded my brain, our tattoos glowing brighter and brighter. The world melted around me, white marble walls shimmering around me.

“Run away!” Lord Somata ordered sharply, the ten year old version of Lord Kanama and Lord Karama scurrying out the window. Tears streamed down their cheeks, blood soaking Lord Somata’s black Victorian suit. A silver blade quivered in his side, the heavy wooden doors burst open. The dark version of him sauntering towards him, his hand ripping out his heart. His white heart turned black, his hand shoving it back in.  Howls of pain exploded from his lips, inky blackness climbing up his arm. Cupping his eye, black blood poured as it darkened to a black darker than the night. Standing straight up, evil laughter erupted from his lips. Memories of burning towns, and dead bodies scattered all around poisoned my mind. Tears poured from my eyes, Boran’s voice snapping me out of it. 

The two of us collapsed onto the ground, our chests rising up and down rapidly. His eyes met mine, teardrops soaking our hair. Holy crap! That was rough, my heart shattering. Voices faded above us, my head spinning around. A migraine throbbed violently, Boran helping me sit up. Resting my hands on my knees, steam curled off of him. Everyone else was clean except for the four of us, the blood beginning to dry on my skin. 

“I am so sorry that happened to you, but I really need to get cleaned up.” I uttered numbly, trying to forget his memories. “I am sorry if you saw mine.” Shaking his head, a wide grin told me that he was pleased with his freedom. Sitting up next to me, his head cocked to the right. Rubbing the back of his neck, a sense of sadness dimmed his eyes. 

“I am not sure how you got here but you are saving the land slowly. We appreciate it, the darkness poisoning my brain was so loud.” He explained in a depressed tone, burying his face into his palms. “I don’t know how anyone will forgive me for all the rotten things I did.” Rubbing his back, he looked back at me. Flashing me a weak smile, I took his trembling hand. 

“I promise to show you a world of light, and magic that will blow your mind. I guess I am not in the habit of keeping my enemies as enemies.” I promised warmly, his whole body relaxing into a puddle of sore muscles. “Just hang on. Time heals all wounds, or so I am told.” Leaping to my feet, I splashed into the warm water. The pure water dissolved the blood floating off of me, my green wool dress almost looking brand new. Boran jumped in, a wave of water crashing over me. Flashing him my real smile, he spun me around. Drops of water sparkled in the moonlight, his lips pressing onto mine sensually. How long have I been under that memory spell? Sliding his hand down to my slight bump, his lips kissed it gently. A stabbing pain flashed in the back of my head, his memories flashing in my mind all over again. Clutching the sides of my head, Boran clutched me close to his chest. A tortured scream escaped my lips, fresh tears flooding from my eyes. Clutching his wet shirt, electrical pain jolting my body. Her face flashed in my head, her cold fingers reaching for me. A burn mark sizzled on my wrists, her hand beginning to form. 

“Leave us alone!” I shouted viciously, my eyes shutting. “You have no domain over the two of us!” Blue energy danced around me, the water splashing over us in huge waves. Storm clouds gathered above us, her grip getting rougher. Black smoke curled off of my arm, Boran trying to figure out what to do. 

“Enough!” Lord Somata shouted over the chaos, a wall of dead white wolves standing behind him. “I command you with the power of the land to release my friend.” My breath hitched as her hand faded away, an unimpressed scowl darkening my face as all of the water crashed down on top of me. My hair clung to my face, the pink rays of the morning sun peeking out over the horizon. Turning back towards Lord Somata, the water splashed around as he walked up to me. 

“Let me look at that.” He offered softly, the blood dissolving off of him. “I am going to take care of you as if you are my little sister from now on. She burned you pretty bad, but at least she can’t curse you anymore. Drop your arm into the water.” Guiding my arm into the water, Boran’s flashed with a tinge of jealousy. All of us gasped in wonder, the burn fading away to a scar. Gazing back up at him, he ruffled the top of my hair. Turning to leave, he shoved his hands into his pockets. 

“Thank you.” Boran stammered awkwardly, scarlet burning his cheek. Chuckling to himself, he stuck out his tongue at us. My vision blurred, his final words were the last thing I heard before sweet slumber took me into her arms. Smiling warmly, he flipped his hair. 

“Okay, take care of my little sis for me.” He joked lightly, running over to his brothers. Boran caught me in his arms, a crooked grin dancing across his lips.

September 15, 2022 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.