The Green Earth Society

Submitted into Contest #90 in response to: Write about a community that worships Mother Nature.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Happy Inspirational

They call themselves the Green-Earth Society, a true branch of the Eco-Warrior movement. But, they are a peaceful tribe. They don’t own guns or bombs or any type of weapons.  Some have classified them as a cult; their religion would be the environment. Their devotion and worship to Mother Nature is second to none.

It all started when Joshua Reynolds returned to the old camping ground that his parents took him to when he was just a young lad. His siblings cherished that place; it was magical fun. The place was called Camp Sutherland after the man who owned it, John Sutherland and his family.

There was a lake full of fish and turtles and snakes. There was a trail through the forest with birds singing and deer and other creatures. There was a Savanah and a marsh connected to the main waterway.

As an adult with a fiancé, Joshua looked forward to taking his children to the same spot and rekindle that spirit of natural fun that he so enjoyed as a kid.  He had fond memories of barbecues, sitting around campfires telling ghost stories or singing songs, canoe excursions, games of tag and hide and go seek and a hundred other activities. It was an essential element of his normal childhood. 

But, when he returned the owner had let the place go. It was ravaged by inconsideration and negligence. There was garbage everywhere, the water was a mirky brown, polluted, the lake dying. This was the same body of water where he had learnt how to swim and caught his first fish.

The marsh, the lungs of the water foundation was marred with garbage. He was disgusted and disappointed. He returned home to his fiancé Harmonia and poured his heart out.

“I can’t believe it. This place was an environmental jewel. My childhood has survived a major assault.”

“Things change and perceptions change,” she said with a softness and sweetness that was soothing and comforting.

“I understand that, but I can’t believe anyone would desecrate nature like that.”

“Not everyone has their heart tied to nature like you do.”

“I need to do something about it.”

“Whatever you do, I am one hundred percent behind you.”

The days passed and Joshua was torn in two. He decided that he was going to reclaim the area and clean it up. He contacted some of the kids he had grown up with on those lazy, hazy summer days when the water was pristine and the ground was green and coloured with the wonderful plants and flowers that the mothers took care of with such tenderness.

His best friend Blake responded and thought it was a great idea. Ramona and Ethel also gave him positive encouragement.  Soon, there was a small group of a dozen long lost friends that threw their lot in. They were going to return there in the summer once they had purchased the land to clean it up.

The days were marked off on the calendar and soon it was time. Everyone arrived on the Friday night from all points around the country.  There was much laughter and joy and tears. Some of them hadn’t seen each other for a long, long time. It was a heartfelt reunion.

Joshua gathered everyone together and smiled.

“This is my fiancé Harmonia. How about if we go around and introduce our respective families?”

And they all did and there was much enthusiasm and cheering. The feeling of belonging and harmony of family was strong and vibrant.

So they had planned things out and created strategy to clean the area. Joshua had purchased the land and everyone had contributed some money towards the goal. They owned that special parcel of nature that was attached to their childhood hearts.

On Saturday morning, they were up bright and early.  The big, friendly summer sun greeted the group who were charged up. They were divided into sections with each one attacking a different area. They were incredibly organized.

By Saturday night, much of the area was much cleaner. The water wasn’t so dark anymore; the earth was not an eyesore of garbage and sloth.  They had removed a tremendous amount of garbage from the lake, forest, camp grounds and marsh.

On Sunday, much of the work had been done. They had planned to have a great barbecue before everyone went back to their lives. The dozen friends were scattered around the country. One of them was even in Europe.

“Tonight, I have a surprise for everyone. Harmonia and I have decided to get married right now. Ethel is an ordained minister and we couldn’t think of any better time to do so.”

Everyone clapped and cheered. 

So they got married and it was a beautiful ceremony. They exchanged their vows as the sun was setting. It was absolutely perfect.

Harmonia cried and looked at Joshua.

“I don’t want to go back. I want to stay here forever.”

He was taken aback initially and then started to think.

“You want to make this our permanent home?”

“Yes, what better place to raise a family?”

There was much talk amongst the others and an electric current of enthusiasm spread through like a giant volt.  

“I am willing to quit my job and move my family out here.  What do you say, dear?” Blake looked at his wife Helen. She smiled and kissed him.

“That would be a wonderful thing to do.”

They had to leave that day and everyone went their separate way.  All promised to return.

Ted and Carol went home and immediately made plans to change careers, sell their homes and return to the campground that was now called Green Paradise. Blake and Helen did the same. Joshua and Harmonia were also lining up their ducks to turn a dream into reality.

Those that were capable returned every weekend sprucing the place up. There was more cleaning to conduct and improvements to make. The trails in the forest had to be staked out amongst the bugs and weeds.  

Joshua and Harmonia were the first to move in. They lived in a camper, while they built a cabin. On the weekend, friends that could lend a helping hand arrived and soon the structure was complete. It was followed by another and another.

Within a year, the entire group had moved in. There was a harmonious, communal feeling and the place blossomed. The water was pristine again and the fish were splashing about, while the turtles and birds navigated happily now that their home had been returned to them.

On the night that they all gathered together again, they cheered.

“We need a name,” said Joshua.

There were a few names thrown out there and they finally settled on the Green-Earth Society.

They grew their own vegetables and planted more fruit trees. The ones that were already there were pruned and given a new life. They raised all kinds of animals like geese, pigs, chickens, cows, emus and bison.  Only Merle was a farmer and they leaned on him for guidance and he didn’t disappoint.

The group decided to build a dome over their community in order to keep out the airborne pollution.  They had developed their own little community and worshipped mother nature. The estimates on the dome were very expensive.

At a meeting, Joshua looked troubled.  

“We have contacted the proper authorities and they have rejected our attempt to put a dome on our little slice of paradise. However, the fight is not over.”

One of their friends from childhood had become involved in politics. Although, Jerry never moved into the area, he remembered the place fondly.  With his connections and ability to coerce and strong arm politicians at the top, they were granted the right to build a dome.  The federal government even agreed to pay for some of it.

It was a massive undertaking, but after much toil and trouble, the dome was complete.  The group made the news and were described as an environmental cult. They policed themselves and although Joshua had lit the match, they were all caretakers of the fire.

In order to get out of the ‘religious cult’ tag, the group made a documentary on who they were and why they were there. It became a very popular film and soon the world saw them from a very different perspective.

Joshua and Harmonia had three children and they played with the kids from the other families. The group lived, laughed and cried together.  Although, they had been criticized, in the end the small, exclusive tribe had weathered the storm.

Their morning began with a special prayer dedicated to the power of mother nature and their day ended with a different chant, but the theme was the same.  The Green-Earth Society was special and they remained on their path of nature worship.

April 24, 2021 01:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.