2 comments

Fiction Science Fiction Thriller

Another gust of wind hit the side of the building, causing plumes of dust that had built up over the years to shake free from the ceiling and sprinkle down over Anna's head. She had lived here on her own for several years and had been sure she'd gotten every cobweb and dusty spot in the old lighthouse. It seemed whatever storm was causing the rush of wind outside was determined to prove her wrong. She glared up at the roof, beyond which were several flights of stairs and the light at the very peak. The reason she remained here even in these dreadful gale-force winds. Not that the old house hadn't seen worse than that over the years. 

As a child, Anna remembered surviving a hurricane in this old lighthouse, her father and mother refusing to leave the family home. They hadn't intended to keep their little girl with them but also had no time to take her anywhere safely. It was the double-edged blade of having an important job. There was much more to lighthouse keeping than just ensuring the lights stayed lit. Anna had worked hard to take over when her father passed away. Tonight was probably the first time she questioned this choice, though. 

As another burst of wind shook the building, Anna forced herself to focus on her task at hand, she pulled old boxes from shelves under her bed and tucked back into closets, she sought one thing only: an old trinket her father had left behind on his death. She had seen him clutch it tight in the lighthouse tower during storms. Anna had watched him bring it up the stairs to place it in the tower. Finding things in her small home in the dark was so much more complicated. The lights had gone out hours ago, all but the lighthouse lantern, which ran on its generator. 

She knew the item had to have some benefit for her. She was unclear whether that benefit was real or simply an emotional comfort. He had never been open about the item. She only saw it come out during particularly rough storms and then be tucked away once more. Anna asked her mother once, but the woman had no answers and had since passed away herself. 

Finally, her fingers locked around the stoney figure while digging around in a box. She pulled her arm from the box to glance down at the figurine in her palm. Why hadn't she kept it close to the rest of her late parent's belongings? There was no time to think about it. She turned and rushed towards the back of her living space, throwing open the back door. The stairs she had to climb were exposed to the wind, each blast of air rocking the very steps she climbed. 

Step by painful step, she made her way up the swaying steps. She stumbled forward, the small stone figure rolling out of her grasp as she hit the ground. Anna cursed and tried to reach for the item. Lightning struck, and she was suddenly reminded why she had buried the stone figure deep in boxes in her closet. She could not explain what it was, but something about the many carved eyes of the object sent a chill of fear down her spine. It caused an unnatural fear, a feeling as if all the stone eyes watched her every move. No, she was wrong. It was an entirely natural feeling, a feeling that built up in an animal that knew something predatory was looming just beyond their sight. 

Another gust of wind hit her—no time to think. No matter how frightened she was, this tower had to be kept lit. Too many lives depended on her doing her job. She pushed her fear down and grabbed the figurine. She rushed the rest of the stairs as hard as her feet would carry her. She grasped the rail with her left hand and clutched the figure to her chest. Anna knew all she had to do was make it to the top of the lighthouse. All she had to do was place the figure where it could be seen. How she knew this, she was unsure.

The feeling had just sunk into her. She knew all she had to do was keep going. Who could possibly see the figure all the way up here? 

Finally, the peak of the lighthouse was in sight. She gripped the rail and pulled herself onto the catwalk, wasting no time throwing herself into the lantern room. The light almost blinded her as it rotated slowly, still doing its job of flashing a warning to ships that there were rocks here. There was danger on this shore. Beware, traveler. Beside the lantern was a small box resting against a lens. She set the figurine inside of it, watching as each time the lighthouse lamp rotated, it shined over the back of the figure, casting a massive, monstrous shadow out over the water. 

Soon, the sounds of wind and thunder faded around her. She turned to look out at the sea. A blood-curdling scream was wrenched from her. The visage of the figure she had placed on the top of her family's lighthouse was now staring at her from the swirling darkness of the storm. She backed away, trying to shield her eyes from the horrible sight, slamming back against the lenses of the lantern behind her. Each rotation bringing more of the horrific creature to life.  

The creature watched her for an unknown time. She could do nothing but scream. It soon faded away with the storm. And Anna fainted as she watched the monster move away. In time, she would awaken and tuck the figurine as far back into her closet as possible. She would bring it out only when it was needed once again. It kept the winds at bay. The winds and whatever it was that made them. She prayed it would not be anytime soon. 

March 07, 2024 17:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emilie Ocean
14:14 Mar 12, 2024

I thoroughly enjoyed this short story, Tawny. I like suspense and backstory. The descriptions are great and made me feel like I was there too. :)

Reply

Tawny Molina
15:40 Mar 12, 2024

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.