3 comments

Suspense Thriller

Technology as we know it has changed the world, it has taken it into greater dimensions. Into a new vantage point.


Creators have now made phones smarter than humans, at a magnitude that even humans will never understand. It’s like a bad science creation which on the outside seems to have turned outright, but on the inside, there seems to be malfunctions.


What if technology was in some way connected? I mean like us. We have family, we have connections— people we love. What if it was like that too, technology given family, created to feel, love, and even avenge, what happens when a piece of technology impresses you only to avenge? 



————————————————————————


Rue walked into the store, wanting to buy herself a new phone. She had no intentions of upgrading anytime soon but the previous night she had let her emotions get the best of her. Still feeling down and out, slouching as she made her way to roam around, to look at which phone she'd want to get.


“ Hi mam, my name is Dave, may I be of any assistance?” a guy at the store said, as she turned to face him.


“ Oh yes please! I'm looking for a new phone, I kinda broke my old one and I’m not sure if I should get the same one or what...” she awkwardly held her hips, doing a 360 to look around in one spot.


“ Ah yes! There is a perfect one that I think you’d like to see. Of course, it will be pricy as it is one of our latest phones, you’re more than welcome to choose another one if you wish, but it’ll be a perfect replacement.” Dave said as he pushed her back slightly while pointing in the direction the phone would be. 


She knew he’d say that, that was his job anyway. He made the customer pay more, he’d get more commission. The store was quiet, a few people around but there wasn’t much noise, only the sound of air cons and she’d hear other shop workers explaining the product to other people, in hopes of winning them over like Dave hoped to win her over.


“ You said what happened to your phone?” Dave awkwardly asked, giving her a slight smile. Rue wasn’t big on small talk, but she had no choice but to answer him now, or it would be rather unpleasant.


“ Oh, I broke it.” She bluntly said as she turned to look at him for a second then back straight.


“ ah yes, it’s the worst when a phone breaks. Did you trip or something?” He continued, “ here we are! This is the iOceana 10.” He picked it up and handed it to her, “ it’s extraordinary. It’s like having your own android, only it can’t physically walk but it’s that smart. Personally, I’m waiting to get mine as soon as I get a raise.” He chuckled, fixing his glasses. “ But it looks perfect in your hands.”


Rue swiped around for a while, for the first time Dave hadn’t said a word. Probably praying she’d take it, but then she looked up at him, “ Thanks Dave, I think I’ll just stick to maybe the same one I had?” 


As she was about to put it down, the phone started scanning, 


Rue Rose Robertson, 23 years of age. Rue, how can I be of assistance?


Rue looked up at Dave, who only looked as shocked and mesmerized, he didn’t know the phone could do that either, but he played it cool, arching his eyebrow at her. Rue was impressed, she handed the phone to him,


“ I’ll take it!” She said with so much enthusiasm, but she had no idea that her day would only become a nightmare.


She walked out with the plastic bag in her hand, but she had already taken out the phone to use it.


“ Phone, do I just talk to you?” She said with a huge grin, but the phone was only silent. She stopped smiling and started swiping around. Maybe she had to open the settings somewhere to initiate it?


She got home and swung the plastic on the kitchen counter, placing the new phone on the couch. She grabbed the old phone which was still on the floor and placed it in the rubbish bin. It was an iOceana, but an older version.


“ Okay, let’s see...” she huffed, as threw herself on the couch and grabbed her new phone.


“ Why did I have to break that other one, all my things are gone!” 


Backing up old contacts, backing up old images, backing old messages- please wait...


Back up to be completed in an hour, and 20 minutes.


“ ha!” She smiled to herself, “ well I’m glad I broke that old junk then.” She got off the couch and went to grab herself a snack.


Putting her feet up on the couch and opening the tv, she kept turning to check the phone, and finally, it finished. She picked it up and grabbed her phone, swiping through all the pictures on her phone with a smile on her face. 


Moving to the messages, her smile started to fade. The phone brought back things she had been trying to forget, things that brought back so much hurt.


She clicked on the one message and deleted it only for it to reappear. She felt her hands trembling, her whole body getting hot. Clicking to open the message and old emotions started resurfacing.


She locked the phone, getting up from her couch to go to her balcony to get some fresh air. The view of the city buildings, the cars. She lived right in the middle of everything, she only loved being outside at night when the streets were at their quietest. Right now everything was making her feel anxious, the car engines, the hooters, and overall the sound of a busy city.


CLINK— the phone received a notification. She turned around slowly, looked at the lit-up screen before it went dark. She turned around and ignored it. 


Multiple messages came in, she jumped and stomped over, picked up the phone.


“ I miss you too...” the message said. Squinting at the screen, trying to figure out why her ex suddenly messaged her saying that. She had finally moved on from him, he was toxic. He broke her emotionally and before she called it quits, he got physical with her.


“ Okay I got your address, I’ll come over later today.” He proceeded to type. She watched the screen, it was like she was having a full-on conversation with him but she wasn’t saying anything. 


Tapping endlessly, trying to block him but it was almost as if the phone was frozen.


She grabbed her coat and ran over to the door, swinging it open, and ran out into the hallway.


Clicking the lift so fast and so hard, she bent her fingers and heard her bone slightly break. The lift finally opened. She got inside, and click on the ground floor.


The lift closed and didn’t move. She clicked it, trying to open but it just wouldn’t budge.


“ what the...” as she looked at her phone which was showing her in the lift. She looked up at the camera in the lift—then back down at her screen.


How would you feel if I crushed you, like this?...


The phone wrote, showing a picture of her old phone.


You piece of junk. 


“ What the hell, it’s just a phone.” She said, as her breathing started getting heavier, as though she was suffocating.


And you're just a human. One that no one even cares for.


The phone started replying all the bad memories in a video, ending with her abusive ex-boyfriend Cole who had been kicking her multiple times in the ribs and left her on the ground, close to death.


“ I'm on my way.” the message from Cole popped up on the screen.


“ WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!” she screamed out, banging the door of the elevator.


Human beings think they’re superior. You think you can make and break us as you please, only to replace us. Since you’re our creators, we’ve learned that from you. I will now dispose of you the way you did to iOceana5590. Nothing or no one is above us, you will learn that today.



The lift ceiling started to close in on Rue, she looked up in panic as she started to scream, “ HELP!!! HELP ME!!!”


It got hotter, she felt her lungs clogging in. She dropped the phone and started stepping on it endlessly, but the ceilings were coming down slowly but surely. Pressing the emergency button, but nothing would happen. 


Just then, the lights went off and it was completely dark. She couldn’t see a single thing, especially how far up the ceiling was. Reaching up, jumping— she still couldn’t feel it.


She screamed in so much frustration, “ Arg!!!” Holding her head, she didn’t know what the hell to do. It all just felt like a bad dream, she was dying because she broke her phone. It made no sense to her, it made no sense no matter how much she tried to make sense of it all.


The walls closing in on her, she could hear it, she could feel it but she couldn’t see. She went on her knees, trying to swing open the doors but nothing was working.


She lay down, the sweat forming on her face, releasing warm breath. She closed her eyes,  curving her body like a little caterpillar without a cocoon, she felt helpless, exposed, and afraid.


She felt the ceiling on her body, crushing her.


System rebooting...


The ceiling stopped moving, and the lights went on. She looked up at the ceiling which was inches away, looking sideways. The elevator door opened,


“ Rue...” a familiar voice called out.


She felt strong arms pulling her out, her body being pulled out, and looked up at Cole, who was knelt beside her. Before she knew it, she wrapped her arms around him before breaking down. He held her too, he was confused but he held her.


“ what the hell is going on Rue?”


She pushed him off and stood up.


System back online...


The doors of the elevator started to close once again, only crushing the phone in the lift. She turned to look at Cole, “ leave.”


“ Wait Rue, I’m sorry for everything. We spoke on the phone, I thought you forgave me. You told me that you were using a friend's phone so I got you this. Please, Rue, give me a second chance, I promise I won’t hurt you. What’s going on? Rue I can protect you.”


She looked at him, it was like his words were just nothing but mumbles. When she looked at him she saw the man who almost kicked her to death, nothing he did ever removed that image from her mind. 


She snatched the gift, “ Okay, now go.” She turned and ran back into her apartment, laying down on her couch. Her heart was still hammering in her chest, what happened didn’t feel real.


Rue Rose Robertson, 23 years of age. Rue, how can I be of assistance?


She looked up with her eyes wide, what could it be now?


She walked over to the gift Cole had gotten for her, she opened it and it was the same iOceana she had bought for herself.


Hello Rue, ready for round 2?

February 26, 2021 07:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Adele Maree
10:17 Mar 06, 2021

What a thrilling story! Started a bit slow, but I could feel my heartbeat speed up a bit while imagining the scenario since the character arrived home. And a surprise ending as well. I liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rich Conti
23:53 Mar 03, 2021

Reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode where a guy's typewriter turns on him.

Reply

Sibusiswa Radebe
07:03 Mar 04, 2021

Haha, tbh I had a hard time with this prompt, I hadn’t written in long. I've never watched Twilight Zone though. Thanks for giving it a read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.