0 comments

Bedtime Fiction Thriller

Do you want to die here or to die outside in nature? 

Wh..what ..what are you saying ?

I’m asking a simple question; do you prefer to die here or to die outside ? 

Anthony please these things aren’t funny at all and besides I am very busy right now.

So please tell me what you want rapidly 

“Dyna is dying “he said agonizedly.

The ruler closed the door of the room and sat down in a sigh with some fury.

“Who Did it?” He asked. 

“We still don’t know anything but I was checking it while the flowers were starting to wrinkle and also the device got received a radiation.”

We only have 10 masks and we are 50 , you are the ruler you decide so....

Do you want to die here or to die outside? 

“Anthony I know that we are in a critical situation right know at this station but as a ruler I am asking you not to tell anybody about this, I don’t want them to worry about the process of relocating them and I will take care of it ” 

..................................................................................................................................

The disaster started 5 years ago, when there was a great leak of nuclear radiation in the air as a result of an explosion in some nuclear power stations that was built by some countries to defend themselves against each other , there was a spark of a great war again. 

It ended up in a crisis. Earth was destroyed in fact most of it but there were some survivals, these survivals were even very far away from the nuclear stations or they were too near to (Dyna) the name that Anthony blank gave to these flowers, it was found that these flowers had a massive super power of absorbing the radiation and emitting oxygen instead of it , people who were around the area of Dyna were all safe but every thing instead of that was vanished. 

We are now only a few people on this big land, we decided to assign a ruler for every group of people and to build something like a shield for us to protect us from the radiation. We built 17 stations with the wreckage and put god’s gift (Dyna) in every station to protect us from any other leakage. Every station includes between 25 to 75 people according to the location of it.

How do we live ? ...simple, the river is near to us so we can get water, And our great scientists have come up with a way to make all the food that was affected by radiation edible and also the fish in the river. This time when you realise that only founding food and water is a great achievement for all of us, this time you think about your old life, your family who were destroyed by this leak as some countries were trying to show their powers. 

Dyna is a rare plant, and unfortunately it is endangered, but the good thing is we have it here and also we made some masks with its leaves , at our station there are 10 and in other stations there are 5,15,20 it’s all about the flower. We communicate with other stations by some radio devices we made. We are building a new world for us using the old technology. 

............................................................................................................................

“you know exactly what can cause the Dyna to die Alan , and you insisted on doing it, so now it’s your turn to rescue us, to rescue 50 of the people who survived from the environmental disaster and then you chose to kill them “ Anthony roared 

“you were my chancellor Antho and all of us know your powers, you could stop me “  

“Do not utter meaningless words because this will not help now , we must do something .”

“How much time do we have” until the radiation ...... Alan asked 

“only 2 hours before we are all dead” 

“ you know that the nearest station in the area is about 3 and a half hours of walking from here, and we only can risk ten lives to try to get some help for us, I know that station 4 has 2 extra dynas but it’s 5 hours from here, the masks can stand for only 7 hours” he continued. 

“That means they will die during returning here...., Useless” Alan said

It was necessary and obvious that now in this critical situation, someone must take the first step and sacrifice himself for the others , for the continuity of man kind on earth. You only need to summon your strength and courage to be the leader, the pioneer that the other 9 guys will see and tell themselves we must be like him. Anthony was that man, he is brave, strong and loves to help others. Another 6 men and 2 women joined him randomly . Alan was number 10 as it was a surprise for Anthony but no time for this. People were arguing about why are you going out and using the masks that we have for some more help as Alan the ruler said this in the station to prevent any unnecessary mess in the station as it will not help and also he wanted to keep his good reputation between people there. 

The destination is station 4, the duration: unknown. That was the information they have until now. 

Wearing the masks, and a protective suit, everything was ok. The maps is with them with a compass. Only them Anthony and Alan know about what happened but the other 8 have been told that they are on a mission to get some more stuff that was needed. 

.........................................................................................................

The only thing that can harm the Dyna and make it useless is when you try to cut a part of it’s leaves At a time other than the specified time for the flower to throw its leaves that we made the masks from, every year it throws 2 leaves so we have 10 masks, Dyna is long live plant, these thrown leaves are growing again the next year so it can throw 2 more and it also depends on the area as there are some flowers of Dyna that throw 4 leaves a year or 5 leaves a year but it depends. 

Alan tried to cut a part of it’s leaves to make some more masks, he intended to make only 2 , one for himself And another one for Anthony or Albert as they were the 2 scientists in the station. He wanted to go out, to discover the world and how it looks like after 5 years of isolation and to find a way out of this station or even a bigger place to stay In. The intentions were good but the execution wasn’t, he offered Anthony to do this with him and he refused without any thinking as he knew that this step will put many lives at risk, their researches on Dyna had a 60 percent risk of losing the flower so by the way losing our lives you will only gain a life or two of those who will wear these 2 masks. 

Albert timidly agreed not like Anthony, he was Tempted by what will be waiting for him outside as Alan said to him, they only know the river and the area beside it but he wanted to discover the life around him and he did not care about the dangers that hinder this experience.

“we will be free Albert, may be there are people who survived in this world, may be there is another life to live in, we are prisoned here and this will not help us, I am sure that there are people other than us believe me Albert it’s your chance” 

Alan was persuasive and Albert wanted this. 

.......................................................................................................

It’s 5 am the radiation out is at it’s lowest, it will be like this for another hour so they decided that this is the best time to move. They have the last 10 masks on the station if anything happened the station is dead..

Anthony and Alan moved in the front and the 8 were behind with some swords and knives they made at the station. Alan left Albert as a ruler instead of him until his return. 

“if anything bad happend you will be responsible for the death of 50 people, you are doing what you wanted to do now right” Anthony mocked 

“please stop being a kid and try to help us, try to help yourself or you want to meet your daughter” 

Anthony grapped him out of his suit putting his face in front of him “ don’t even say a word about my daughter or I will cut of your head” and he pointed with a knife to his neck. 

Some men ran rapidly to them to see what happened , “ no problem, we were just talking go back to your place” Alan said.

“don't forget that I am still the ruler, I’ll forgive you about this but once again you will be there” and he pointed to a place where there was a burnt trees and some dead bodies of the died men in stations. 

It’s 6:07 the radiation levels is increasing gradually according to the devices with them. They should hurry up as the radiation increase the ability of the Dyna masks is affected. They stetted their destination from the beginning and their path is clear so the first hour had passed safely. They decided also that the second hour will not be like the first, they will run, they need to save some time, the 10 men who are out knows to well that the risk of losing their lives are high and also they have no families waiting for them they are alone,and that what made them brave enough to do this mission, they were determined to return back to their station to help the people there.

It’s 6:08, one of the back men had fainted, he was Jerry, he is an engineer and he holds the maps, they ran quickly towards him, before they found out the bitter truth, Jerry has gone, it’s the radiation, it was a shock for all of them as he was wearing a mask like them all. The shock wasn’t clear on Alan’s face, it looks like he predicted it. Jerry’s face color has been changing at first it was only some red spots on his front then his face turned into red completely before some blood went out of his mouth, it was the effection of the radiation, Alan grabbed Anthony from his hand to move fast , they must move quickly there is no time for staying there in front of his body, they decided to bury him after the mission of there is enough time. The tension is starting to appear on the group.

Only half an hour later and another woman fainted and turned into red also just like Jerry. 

“No that’s not right, it must be something had happened to them” Anthony screamed 

Alan tried to grab him again to move but that time he refused and insisted on checking the mask.

“ Let me check that mask, dyna cannot do this” he continued 

Anthony took the mask up and he was right this is not Dyna, it’s a fake mask. He screamed in the face of Alan and the group, at this time there was a sword on his neck 

“just move or I will cut off your head” 

All of them was shocked to see Albert, with the real mask. He faked 2 masks with a fake flowers that looked like the Dyna, and he is wearing one of them . 

“good to see you Albert, always on time” said Alan 

“Yes sir, sticking to the plan”  

Anthony wasn’t understanding what is happening around him are Alan and Albert planning to betray us!! 

“you ignored my plan Antho, and he agreed, he is loyal to me, but you can show your apology right now, you have two options, the first one is to go with us to a new life, a new place after we take the Dyna with us orrr, you want to see little Dyna again, I think if she was between us now you would chose to be with us, make your choice you have only 30 seconds” 

“all of them agreed on that plan Antho, these 8 are with me, I hope you join us” he continued.

“ you killed 2 of your people just to explore a new place, you’re such a despicable animal, I will not let our station down, the people are waiting there for us, think of them” 

“ I made this because I think of them, I wanted to get them and us out of this station, to set us free, to explore another place to live in and you are able to help us, think about the kids there, if your daughter was one of them wouldn’t you think of a better place, they are like prisoners and I will save them no matter what, every progress in our live needs a sacrifice and the lives of these people who died for us are the sacrifice, they must be proud of themselves now” Alan explained.

Albert was still putting the sword on Anthony’s neck, he suddenly smiled without any reason and looked in Anthony’s eye when a noise sound came from the right from where they left the station.!!!! 

Albert’s followers, they were about 30, some were from his station and the other were from station 4, they believed in the idea, they believed the story of freedom, no matter how many lives will be destroyed.

He dropped the sword down and went to his followers, he also betrayed Alan, they had the flower itself with them, the stole it from their station, station 4. Now it’s done the people of the station will be died, Alan is betrayed and the 6 men who were alive with them has no chance to live but to go with Albert. 

Anthony was committed with his word, he will save the station, not to give up, to make his daughter Dyna proud of him, he named the flower which is the reason to keep them alive after her name, because she gave him life, but the Dyna is with them, they are 30, Alan is betrayed and may be he is going with Albert. 

It’s a hard choice you can live safely with a group of people looking for the freedom but you will be a traitor to your people or you can die trying to save the people who trusted you. Anthony is brave but he is a wise man. He will do what is best for himself.

Would you die trying !!!!!






April 24, 2021 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.