Contest #202 shortlist ⭐️

Your Call Has Been Forwarded to a Place You Can Never Return

Submitted into Contest #202 in response to: Write about two friends who were once inseparable, but now find themselves growing apart — or even friends turned enemies.... view prompt

56 comments

American Friendship Coming of Age

This story contains sensitive content

cw: mild graphic material and brief mention of physical violence


If you were here right now, you’d tell me this is a bad idea. You’d take away my phone and remind me that you can’t make someone stay who doesn't want to. You’d have saved me from creating yet another shame-inducing memory I’d end up cringing at five years later—while I’m pumping gas into my car, slicing a tomato, skimming the dead leaves from the pool we used to swim in.


While I’ve tried to forget, the unfortunate fact of the matter is that I can recite your number by heart. I’ve memorized it unintentionally, of course, the same way someone memorizes timetables, the Pledge of Allegiance, or the lyrics to Hey Ya! It just happened, becoming a part of my long-term memory over time. It's an inevitable byproduct of growing up in a decade of address books and corded telephones, I guess, and it has placed our generation at the mercy of self-discipline to stop ourselves from reaching out to those who no longer care for us.


I keep track of the number of times the phone rings as I dissect a scab on my knee with tweezers. The left side of my face sweats against the glass phone screen, and I wait with tense shoulders for the rings to morph into your voice. When my scab bleeds, a voice breaks through. Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice messaging system. 



The first digit the prerecorded voice dictates is our lucky number. Her voice is clinical and distant, taking on the same tone you spoke in during our last few phone calls. But since seven is our lucky number, I convince myself by some far-fetched superstition that it's a sign you will call me back.


1


I have many friends, but only one whom I can tell the following secrets to: I once made out with myself in the mirror. My mom beat me with a hairbrush before our middle school graduation. Sometimes I touch doorknobs three times before opening the door because, if I don’t, my house will catch on fire, my family will die, and you, the one person in the universe I can tell these things to, won’t be my friend anymore. 


9


The automated voice overly annunciates each digit of your phone number, like our mean math teacher from ’09. The divorced one who’d slowly and aggressively dictate long sequences of numbers until I felt nervous and stupid, and you’d delude me into believing she’s just mad because I’m the smartest mathematician the world has ever known. 


2


It’s a fact of life—when two girls spend too much time together, people start to think they’re lesbians. According to the student body, we’re lesbian besties who can’t stand to be apart. At our core, we understand these people just haven't experienced that sacred of a friendship yet. They’ve simply never met a person who lets them speak their internal monologue out loud. 


We spend our summers together switching between my pool and the mall, talking about everything and nothing all at the same time. When the water wrinkles our fingertips, I can’t help but imagine we’ll still be friends when time wrinkles them too. We eat our ice cream sundaes while floating on translucent green inflatables. Our ice creams are those prepackaged ones that come with the wooden spoons you can tase more than the ice cream itself. 


Later at the mall, with our chlorine-drenched hair, we guard one another from the mall perverts who look a moment too long as we shove soft-baked pretzels dripping in hot cheese down our throats. We know how to spot the weird ones after spending our spring break on Omegle and seeing pixelated dicks from far-off continents we swore would scar us for life. 


The mall smells like Cinnabon and fresh-out-the-factory clothes, and that Education Connection commercial is stuck in our heads as we aimlessly walk through Sears. That Sears will eventually be boarded up, but, like the faded digits of your phone number on my old keypad, you’ll still be able to make out the shape where the letters used to be.


It's at this strange liminal space between childhood and adulthood that I realize we’re practically women but without the mortgages, babies, or credit scores. This moment feels like a moment I’ll long to revisit a an adult, a place I one day won’t be able to return, no matter how hard I try. This place will become vaulted, like our inside jokes that we've guarded to stop anyone else from entering. We mark our faces with the free blush samples on display before we leave, like war paint for the battles we didn't know we had ahead.


6


In November, the sun sets by six, and we spend our nights talking outside my house where no one will eavesdrop. We sit cross-legged on the cold cement, wearing those denim shorts that make our toxic mothers accuse us of asking for it. We swear that when we have daughters, they’ll wear whatever they want, and no matter how strappy or nonexistent their clothing is, we’ll tell them they look nice. 



6


Nice. 


That’s the extent of your responses these days. The longest text message I've seen lately spanned six words. 


When we met for dinner just a few weeks before, you feigned sympathy with a high-pitched oh no! when I told you that the left side of my chest has been hurting. You swirled your greasy plate of angel hair on your fork, bored, as I informed you that I planned to visit my doctor. I have an HMO plan with my new position at this new company that I don't think you caught the name of. Maybe it’s a vitamin deficiency or maybe it’s a fractured rib or maybe it’s because the only person who’s ever seen every facet of my personality, fears, and history is now pushing me away. 


2


Yes, I’ve put two and two together. I know what is happening.


8


I text you often, but your response time averages at eight hours these days.  


You were right. Maybe I am good at math. 


3


It’s been three months since I’ve heard from you. And now it’s been 


7 . . . 


. . . is not available. When you are finished recording, you may hang up or press one for more options.




***


Disclaimer: The phone number used in this story does not belong to a real person and has been used for fictional purposes only. If you do call this number, you will be directed to the Hall & Oates hotline—a free phone line that lets you press a number to hear your favorite Hall & Oates song. You will not be charged for calling or using this number. 

June 17, 2023 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Delbert Griffith
12:20 Jun 17, 2023

Clever, as always. Relatable, as per. Dragging us down (or up) into the yo-yoing emotions that you evoke in us readers so well, as ever. The astute observations and surprising confessions tell me everything I should know about a deep and abiding friendship that, tragically, has a shelf life. The tone, my friend, is pitch perfect. I often struggle with tone, but your masterful handling of it reflects true artistry and skill. The tale, if it had shape and texture, would alternate between smooth and comforting roundness, and then one is cut by...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:53 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you so much, Delbert! I love that description: "one snuggles down in the pillowy words and then is assaulted by a blow to the head." That is exactly what it feels like to lose a friendship. I appreciate your support as always (btw, I think your tone is great)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
22:05 Jun 18, 2023

Okay, I HAVE to know how you came up with the idea for this format. Never in a million years would I have thought to structure a story using single-digit numbers to transition into paragraphs and sections of backstory. So, so, so good. I think what I love the most about this story (besides the structure) is the specificity of the little details. Things like skimming pool leaves, the Hey Ya! reference, the mall imagery ESPECIALLY. All of it gives the story a fantastic sense of setting/time/place without ever explicitly having to state when t...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:49 Jun 19, 2023

Zack! I have a confession to make. And I'm swearing on my life and my cat's life when I say this. When I read your story "Love ain't Blind; Grief Is," I made note of your title. I noticed you'd put a fresh spin on an otherwise common saying. That note was in the back of my mind when choosing this title. Originally it was, "Your Call Has Been Forwarded to an Automatic Voice Messaging System," but then I said, that's too straightforward. Then I remembered your title technique and was inspired to change the last clause. I'm so happy seeing my...

Reply

Zack Powell
17:09 Jun 23, 2023

Can't tell you how glad I am to see this in the winners' circle. Guess your fresh-spin title trick worked out (oh, and also this story was absolutely incredible and kickass - that always helps too XD). Couldn't be happier for you. Please let me know immediately when your book comes out in the future. I will be the first in line to purchase it. Swearsies.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:43 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Zack! Once I overcome my 5-second attention span and write a book, I'll let you know. AND SAME GOES FOR YOU. I'll be camping out like Black Friday to be first in line for your book signing. And I forgot to answer your question on how I came up w the idea. Sorry, this is going to be kind of a long description: Once I decided to write about the feeling of drifting apart from a friend, I watched this video on people calling their long-lost friends for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNjqc1uhqc&t=212s The sound of t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:50 Jun 24, 2023

Just beautiful

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:45 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Derrick!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
04:45 Jun 24, 2023

While the conception and execution of this story are excellent, I was uncertain of the final import until I read some of the other reader's comments. '...friendship that, tragically, has a shelf life.' The details of what friends do and how you describe it is the magic element of this story.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:46 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Ken! And for taking the time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:43 Jun 24, 2023

Great writing as always. I've heard similar stories IRL often of friends drifting apart, especially after school, or when one has children and one doesn't. Looking back how much was actual friendship and how much was being in the same stage of life at the same time, one can never know. This was a great line, "It's at this strange liminal space between childhood and adulthood that I realize we’re practically women but without the mortgages, babies, or credit scores."

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:50 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Scott! Sometimes it can be just a matter of being in the same stage at life. It also feels so much easier to make friends at that age than as an adult

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard T
00:08 Jun 24, 2023

This was a beautiful tapestry of poignant images. My favourite of which: "When the water wrinkles our fingertips, I can’t help but imagine we’ll still be friends when time wrinkles them too." God, I loved that. What you did with the digits gave the story a unique structure too. This is a familiar theme, I am sure all of us have been - to a much lesser extent - on both sides of this. I found myself (wierdly) sympathising with the callee, because you painted the scenario masterfully. It starts off with keeping up appearances, trying to ma...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:02 Jun 24, 2023

Wow! Thanks, Richard! I haven't seen Banshees of Inisherin, but looks like it's on HBO Max. I'm very curious now And I agree. Those seem to be the stages to almost every friend breakup--keeping up appearances and then giving up entirely. Also, the polite nature of how most friendships end (as apposed to the fiery/angry way most romantic relationships end) is almost more painful. It happens so slowly and indirectly that the pain is dragged out. And there's almost never an official breakup conversation between friends. The dumper dumps the...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
17:25 Jun 23, 2023

Congratulations, Liv! Love it when life gets things right (for a change) and this is perfect! You deserve every accolade that comes your way. Enjoy this!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:02 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Susan!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:02 Jun 23, 2023

Congrats on cranking out the hits. Liv, you are a wonder. P.S. I've been looking to add more Hall & Oates into my life. Oh, yeah, well, well, you (Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh) You make my dreams come true You (You, you, you, ooh-ooh-ooh, you)

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:36 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Deidra! ❤️ Man-eater is my favorite

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:42 Jun 21, 2023

Eye-catching title, as others have pointed out, and a great, sad take on friendship. It's not actually about losing a friend. The title hints at that, and the opening makes it pretty clear. None of this is a surprise: "Yes, I’ve put two and two together. I know what is happening." Rather, it's about learning to accept the loss. A friendship ending leaves scars, just as the relationship doesn't just vanish. Like the memorized phone number, it can't just be forgotten even though it's no longer available. I particularly like the ending, t...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:08 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Michal!!!! You're completely right that friendship endings can be scarring. Between the ages of 18 and my early 20s (I'm on the cusp of 30 now), I used to think I was being trivial and dramatic feeling sad over drifting apart from childhood friends, but you're right--and research shows friendship endings can be more painful than romatnic endings. Who knew?! Interesting article if you wanna read more about it: https://time.com/5402304/friendship-breakups-worse-romantic/ Thank you for your comment as always. I think I speak for ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:00 Jun 27, 2023

That's an interesting article! It's true, probably not the kind of thing most of us think about on a daily basis, but it's absolutely an issue. Makes me wonder what other everyday things are invisible to us. Lots to explore with stories. I heard your interview :) Deidra and Russell run a fun show.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
15:06 Jun 21, 2023

Liv, a seemingly neurotic person at the beginning of the story becomes brutally aware of the loss of a friend looks and feels like. The story felt like a diary entry more than anything else rather than a fragmented story in my opinion. I loved the numbers beside the paragraph entries for changes in the story to depict a full number at the end (Hall and Oates are one of my favs D).) The tone is melodious in such that it takes us up on a high and then down to the low as we consistently fall from one end to the other on the friendship scale....

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:10 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Lily! I confess I'm a pretty neurotic person myself, and I think that comes through in my characters. I really wish it were more common to end friendships honestly and directly! Though I guess I'm a hypocrite when I say that; I'm sure I've ghosted one or two friends before Thank you very much for reading and commenting. Always good to see your name on here

Reply

Lily Finch
01:09 Jun 25, 2023

D) LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
11:49 Jun 20, 2023

Beautifully done. You've created real depth of character here structured around the numbers which count down to the disappointed me know is coming. The title is practically a short story in itself. Well done. Very well done.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:11 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you, Laurel! I sometimes struggle with titles, so that line alone is a huge compliment to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Patrick Samuel
10:32 Jun 19, 2023

Reading this stirred many conflicting, bittersweet emotions within. It really drove home the importance of lifelong friendship, and how it can be the crucial spine we need to help us through the thick and thin of growing up, of family and romantic relationships. I'm glad I gave up half-way through on that prompt and chose another, because I couldn't have done better than what you just did. This deserves a win, and I mean it. Congratulations and thank you for writing such a resonating piece.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:36 Jun 19, 2023

Wow, this is high praise from a winner themselves! Thank you so much, Patrick. Your words are super encouraging. And I completely agree. Friendships are a place to get new perspectives outside of perhaps a controlling household and express yourself in ways you may not be allowed to at home. Thank you for stopping by my page and taking the time to read and comment

Reply

Patrick Samuel
15:02 Jun 24, 2023

Congratulations on making the shortlist, Liv! Personally I would have picked your story as the winner had I been in the jury, but getting shortlisted is quite a distinction in itself - and a very deserved one in your case. Hope to read more great stories from you in the future!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:13 Jun 24, 2023

Hey Patrick! Thank you! I appreciate that. I'm really grateful for the shortlist. Plus, I had a blast writing this story either way. I've been stuck in a creative standstill, and writing this helped me get the engine warmed up again. Appreciate your comment 📖

Reply

Mary Lehnert
16:28 Jun 27, 2023

A creative standstill. Perfect and afflicts me too. Although I am comfortable writing humor your story resonated deeply. Would love to have your ability with the darker side . Beautiful piece, Liv. I’m motivated.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
09:15 Jan 26, 2024

Thank you Mary! I hope 2024 brings you many great things <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
09:55 Jun 19, 2023

I love stories broken up into short scenes anyway, but I especially love the way you did this using the digits of the phone number, and tying each one into the scene. Worked really well to give a sense of history in a short amount of words. - It's an inevitable byproduct of growing up in a decade of address books and corded telephones - yes, so true! Love how many little lines you have in this that perfectly capture a feeling, and sense of nostalgia. Also I like that we only get one side of this friendship, so we are as in the dark as the ...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:42 Jun 19, 2023

Thank you so much, Kelsey! I'm also a fan of fragmented stories. Thinking about it now, I want to say I was intentionally for "broken fragments" to mimic a "broken friendship," but I'd be lying. And you bring up an interesting point -- why is the friend pulling away? We're left in the dark with the narrator herself. To be honest, parts of this story were loosely based on a close friendship I lost many years ago (me being the rejectee). I'm still in the dark about it myself (was I annoying? too loud? too quiet? why don't you wanna hang out ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
18:00 Jun 18, 2023

This story is so visceral. " ...but imagine we’ll still be friends when time wrinkles them too..." I love that line! You took me there. Into each of those memories and to the present while the Protagonist is dialing the number. Fantastic!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:50 Jun 19, 2023

Thank you so much, Kay! 💜💜💜 I appreciate you stopping by and commenting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
15:55 Jun 18, 2023

Boy, have I missed you and your voice - Liv, this is superb. Each line had me in a tight hold. So smart, poignant, it's just as good as anything I've ever read. I had a few melancholy moments while immersed in it: I just recently rekindled a friendship with a grade school bestie after decades - it's sort of a familiar rediscovery expedition. This is smacked me between the eyes in the best way.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:53 Jun 19, 2023

I've missed you too, Susan! I'm catching up on your stories this week. You've seriously been owning the Reedsy world. How great that you've rekindled that friendship! Isn't it such a trip? I'm in the same boat right now with a middle-school friend. So odd now that we're full-grown adults now and can do all the things we weren't allowed to do back then! Thank you for your comment 💜💜💜

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:17 Jun 20, 2023

Always a pleasure to connect with you, Liv. You are a talent I not only admire, I just plain enjoy.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:45 Jun 24, 2023

I admire and enjoy your talent too, Susan! Thank you for your support ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
07:27 Jun 18, 2023

The hell of automated messages! I feel this MC is slowly spinning down a drain of sorrow and despair herself. There is no stronger attachment then same-sex friends exploring the world together. '....the wooden spoons you can tase more than the ice cream itself. ' So true! I liked this line: 'We mark our faces with the free blush samples on display before we leave, like war paint for the battles we didn't know we had ahead.'

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:55 Jun 19, 2023

Thank you, Marty!!! Same-sex friends really do offer something unique. I'm glad you liked that line. To be honest, those makeup displays were probably swarming with bacteria so I'm glad those days are behind us Thank you for taking the time to read and comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chrissy Winters
20:23 Jun 17, 2023

I too could really feel the melancholic tone in this story. It really worked! I like the format. It was very engaging to read, and made me think of lost friendships of the past.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:33 Jun 19, 2023

Thank you, Chrissy! 😃 SometimesI think lost friendships can be harder than lost romantic relationships.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Cooke
13:45 Jun 17, 2023

Liv, I throughly enjoyed the use of the phone number being used as a countdown device and a reminder of the past. On a personal level, Omegle haunts many of our youth memories and I sincerely got a kick out of reading this. It was wholly somber, and truly reinforced the idea of what it feels like to lose a Bestfriend. Thank you for writing such a provoking and relatable piece!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:57 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you for your comment, Cassandra! Oh geez, sneaking onto Omegle as a kid. We really all had the same childhood XD Losing a close friend can definitely be harder than losing a romantic partner. There's no clear closure or clearly defined "breakup." It's something that happens slowly until it hits you what's happening. Thank you for reading 📖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
05:47 Jun 17, 2023

This story depicts the sense of melancoly that the MC feels as she reflects on the fact that her forever friend is drifting away from her, with perhaps the realization that it is a permanent state, and not a temporary one. All of the details that marked their relationship and are so relatable. I do wonder if anyone in the history of the world has ever pressed one for more options, and if this might be a good time for your mc to consider doing that. Beautifully written Liv in your inimitable style.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:01 Jun 17, 2023

Wow, thanks Wally! This is high praise. This story was inspired by the idea of liminal spaces and that feeling of melancholy/uneasy nostalgia we get when looking at them and knowing we can never return. And also because automatic voice messaging systems can feel like such a punch in the gut. Thank you for taking the time to comment 🙏🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
04:56 Jun 17, 2023

Press 3 to hear my favorite Hall & Oates song

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.