2 comments

Fantasy Friendship

Silas and Valkyrie despised each other as far as the kingdom knows. Yes, they did team up to stop a mutual enemy, but other than that, Silas is an enemy to Xanthia, and to Valkyrie as their newly crowned queen.

Why would a demon lord like a mortal queen anyway?


Valkyrie scrolls through the multiple screens in her study, organizing meeting dates with other kingdoms, changes to Xanthia, and important occasions, as the morning sun illuminates the room, bathing it in a golden glow. She was used to leading armies, but now she has to lead an entire kingdom, and not in the military style that she's been trained to do.

The doors to her study creak open and one of the army cadets pops his head in, a young, acne covered brunette kid.

"Your Highness, you have a visitor," the cadet's voice trembles.

Valkyrie's head perks up, "What's wrong? Why is your voice shaky?"

The cadet opens the door and there he is. Silas Viacarth, in all his 6''8 glory, silvery white hair flowing freely, with his unique curtain bangs. His crimson eyes glowed and his smirk radiated the same pompousness Valkyrie familiarized herself with.

No wonder the cadet is petrified, Valkyrie thought.

"All right, run along. You wouldn't want to miss your training," Silas waves the cadet off.

The kid bolts out, leaving only him and Valkyrie.

"From commander to queen, and you're not even a part of the bloodline. Now that's an impressive feat," Silas says.

Valkyrie scoffs at him.

"You're not even going to thank me? After all, we overthrew Carmilla together."

"That was 3 years ago. I don't have any more business with you, Silas. Leave," Valkyrie replies bitterly.

Silas sighs, defeated, "Fine, if you really aren't the spunky warrior I used to know anymore.

"Is that a challenge?"

Silas grins, flashing the fangs that come with his demonic heritage, "Meet me on the training grounds half past 11. We'll see who triumphs."

Valkyrie mutters, "If it's a waste of my time, I swear..."

"Oh, it won't be."



---------

Valkyrie sits at the table along with the rulers from the other kingdoms Xanthia has relations with. They've all come to discuss matters regarding those specific relations. Even though she is listening to them, Valkyrie couldn't shake the looming prospect of meeting with Silas tonight, so it lingers in the back of her mind.

"Does that sound like a stable plan for the trade routes, Queen Valkyrie?" someone asks.

Valkyrie looks up at the person. Queen Calypso, the ruler of Corarei, the coastal kingdom closest to Xanthia.

"Yes, that sounds excellent," Valkyrie answers promptly, "I dismiss this meeting."

All the other rulers stand up to leave, but not before they socialize with each other.

Valkyrie stands up as well, exhaling in relief. Thank goodness the meeting is over.

"So, about that little meet-cute with Viacarth." The chieftess of Nuibola, Rijuka, approaches Valkyrie, curiosity in her emerald eyes. Her burgundy hair frames her chocolate-coloured face, her head adorned with an elegant gold diadem.

"You've heard?" Valkyrie asks.

"Please, it's all anyone's been talking about. There are rumours..."

Valkyrie glares at her, "Rumours?"

Rijuka chuckles, "Yes. The other rulers are speculating that there is some chemistry between you two. A relationship that stretches beyond camaraderie. "

"Up until now, I haven't contacted Silas, nor has he ever contacted me, let alone pop in for a visit," Valkyrie responds.

Rijuka smiles, "I lead a tribe composed of only women. You really think I don't know when one of them is involved with a man?"

"I'm not involved with him!" Valkyrie snaps.

"Alright, if you say so." Rijuka waves her goodbye, before turning around and exiting the room. She is the last one to go, leaving Valkyrie alone in the spacious, extravagant meeting room, with the midday sun shining through the windows.


---------

Valkyrie stands in the middle of the cadet training arena. The full moon bathes her in its light, and illuminates most of the area. The stars twinkle across the rich blue sky.

She contemplates what the chieftess had said. Does she have feelings for Silas? For the longest time, she thought her bond stemmed from respect and friendship. Now, she isn't so sure.

Maybe I do harbour romantic feelings for Silas. There were moments when we teamed up that were rather intimate. Not in a naughty manner, but in the sense that the world didn't exist, and it was just the two of us.

"It's half past 11," Valkyrie looks at her watch, "I dislike latecomers."

"I know that, darling," Silas whispers behind her.

Valkyrie whips around to face him. Sometimes, she wishes she wasn't so short in comparison, even though she's 5''8.

"Well," Valkyrie asks as she stretches, "What's the challenge?"

Silas smirks, "Nothing too complex. It's a weaponless duel. Whoever is pinned on the ground first loses."

Valkyrie grins back and punches him in the stomach, "Challenge accepted."

Silas steps back, but quickly moves forward, throwing a roundhouse kick at her head.

Valkyrie blocks and hits back with the same kick, driving her foot towards his shoulder.

Silas catches her foot and throws her onto the ground, Valkyrie face-planting into the concrete.

She springs up before he can pin her, and side kicks him in the gut, her foot feeling the amount of force she delivered.

Silas grunts and stumbles back, "Wow."

But he isn't finished yet.

Valkyrie front-kicks him in the chin, snapping his head back for a split second.

Silas resets his head and foot-sweeps her, sending Valkyrie to the ground. Silas pins her, signifying the end of the duel.

"Fine. You win," Valkyrie heaves, her chest rising up and down slowly. She takes a moment to regain her energy, her raven black hair spread across her face.

Should I tell him? she asks herself.

Meanwhile, Silas kneels down, moving the hair out of her face, revealing two sapphire eyes staring up at him.

"Valkyrie?" he asks.

"Yes?" she answers.

"I-" he hesitates. He's about to say something that may result in rejection.

"Spit it out," she replies venomously.

"I love you. I don't know why, but ever since we cut off contact with each other I realized that our bond transcends camaraderie."

Valkyrie gives him a disgusted and shocked look at the same time.

Great, she doesn't reciprocate, Silas thinks.

"Of course you have to confess first!" Valkyrie finally snaps, "I've been contemplating the whole time I was waiting for you whether I had feelings for you too, and I decided I would confess! But NOOO!! Men are always the ones to admit their feelings first!" Valkyrie stands up, shoving Silas away. She places her hands on her hips in a sassy manner, "As if defeating me in the duel wasn't enough!"

Silas stands there, bamboozled, flabbergasted and flattered at the same time. So she also realized her feelings for him? And she's angry that she didn't confess first?

Of course she is, Silas thought, It's not out of character.

Valkyrie smirks at him, "I got a little carried away, didn't I?"

Silas shakes his head and embraces her, lifting her off the ground. He can't believe he won the love of a queen. His crimson eyes glow with affection as he hugs her.

Valkyrie doesn't expect the sudden embrace, but she complies with him lifting her off the ground, wrapping her arms around him.

It's just like times in the past, Valkyrie thinks, We shared a few, yet endearing moments. The only difference between then and now is that we know what our bond is.

And it definitely stretches beyond camaraderie.







July 15, 2024 13:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

20:09 Jul 20, 2024

It's really good, the type of enemies-to-lovers that I would definitely read. Amazing. Can't wait to see this become a novel.

Reply

Xavier Lavoie
13:39 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you. I assure you, the novel won't disappoint.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.