1 comment

Fantasy Fiction

Peace Offering


The two were fighting once again. Phenius of the Zweihander and Garv of the Scimitar. Two legendary warriors of the kingdoms of Logozoros and Hemla. So powerful, and unorthodox, were these two that they would end up separated from their enemies every time they faced each other in battle. Their kingdoms had been at war with each other for 300 no signs of stopping. As such, today was another such fight between these two… and it now took them five miles away from where their actual armies were fighting...


A man in bright, loose, flowing fabric could be seen running through a forest of pines. Scimitar in hand. Despite the size and weight of his weapon Phenius was actually able to retreat into the forest before him. That said, such a feat was bound to wear the two-handed swordsman out… and Garv knew it. Soon enough, Garv ran up a hill and found Phenius’ Zweihander behind a tree. Swaying up and down.


“He must be behind that tree,” Garv thought to himself as he darted glances to the ground. Looking for a soundless path that would lead him to his opponent. Considering there was no change in the sword’s swaying Garv felt confident Phenius hadn’t noticed him yet. Soon enough, Garv spotted various gopher mounds leading to Phenius’ location Garv… and made his advance. From mound to mound Garv moved closer and closer. Luckily the mounds were in a relatively straight line. Fifteen feet… Ten feet… he closed in. Circling around to the left side. Wrapping his right arm around his neck as he prepared to strike with his signature scimitar. Right as he circled around the tree.


But found no Phenius… just the sword… stuck in a branch that was swaying with the wind. Sensing danger, Garv jumped back with a backflip. Good thing, too, for in the next instant the sound of crashing metal filled the forest as a man in gauntlets, grieves, and cuirass fell from above punching the earth. Leaving a small crater under his fist… Right where Garv was just seconds prior.


“Ha! So you learned how to set a trap! You’re learning!” Garv exclaimed, seemingly pleased save for the bead of sweat that went down his face.


“Of course,” admitted the hunched figure in a deep voice as he straightened himself up.


“Were I to not learn from our previous encounters then I would bring embarrassment to all of Logozoros,” he added as he went for his Zweihander. His pace slow but deliberate. With such being the case, Garv did not dare attempt to attack him. Unarmed as his opponent seemed to be. In the end, Phenius reclaimed his weapon. Wielding it in one hand as though its weight meant nothing.


“Well then,” Phenius said, satisfied to have his weapon back in his hand. Swinging it in a brutal flourish as he sank his body low. Facing Garv as though he were ready to charge him.


“Shall we continue?” he said with glee as the tree behind him, the one that held his sword earlier, began to fall. His swing before actually cutting it in one go. Seeing this, Garv ran immediately in the opposite direction. He needed time to think… to strategize. All this time he knew his opponent was strong… but not THAT strong. So he ran, thinking Phenius was far behind. But the sound of scraping metal he heard close behind him betrayed such a notion.



Turning around, Garv saw the monster of a man hunched low as he gave chase some twenty feet away. His sword dragging behind him with seeming reckless abandon.


“Is that any way to treat your sword?!” Garv yelled back at Phenius as he ran.


“Ha! Amateur!” he heard Phenius call back to him, “How do you think it got this sharp?!” Garv then dared to glance back as he ran. Regardless of how sporadically the sword swung behind the massive figure, sparks were being made in controlled spurts. Seeing such a sight Garv just had to take his opponent at his word. With the odds seemingly against him, Garv hesitantly brought his hand to his scarf… and began to slow down.


“Ha! I’ve got you!” declared Phenius as he increased his pace and rushed at Garv. Pulling back his sword behind his head. Ready to bring it down...


As he did so, he could see the terrified look of Garv looking back at him. Fixated, on this very look he was hoping to see in his opponent… no… his prey. In this moment he was certain he would enjoy this victory. His anticipation palpable as time seemed to slow as his sword bore down on him. However, it was right in this moment that something caught Phenius’ eye.


A scarf was wrapped around a tree next to Garv. For what purpose he did not know… but it would not be long until he did. For in the next moment, Garv hopped out of the way of the sword. Holding the other end of the scarf in his left hand. Causing it to become taut. As the sword came down on it, instead of being cut in half, the scarf merely gave in. Resulting in Garv rebounding over Phenius’ sword… still holding the other end of the scarf. His landing successful, Garv then ran under the massive sword. Effectively ensnaring it with his scarf as he did so. Continuing on, Garv dashed dashed around and behind Phenius. His weapon poised to thrust at his enemy’s back. To the left where his heart would be. However, just as his strike was to land… he heard a familiar sound in the distance.


“That horn!” he said as he relinquished his scarf and retreated several paces back. Listening to the blares of the horn. One was a call for help. Two was for retreat. Three for victory. And four…


“A TRUCE?!” Garv said, seemingly outraged. Seemingly unperturbed by the horn’s declaration Phenius went about unwrapping his Zweihander and bore down on Garv once again. However he, too, heard a familiar horn as well. A high-pitched one. Almost a falsetto of horn calls… and it was then that he knew the truce was real. With the horn blown Phenius’ desire to fight all but evaporated… though if one asked if he enjoyed battle the answer would be an immediate “yes.” The chances that anyone would find out he murdered Garv in cold blood would admittedly be slim but honor, and battle, was all that mattered to him. As such, he dare not besmirch either, so he sheathed his sword on his back. Walking away without saying a word. However, after walking a few paces, Phenius heard a rumble.


“Sorry, looks like all that running made me hungry,” Garv confessed. His hand to his stomach as if trying to calm it down. He then started to look around for anything edible when he chanced upon a castle just up a hill from where they were fighting.


“Wanna go see if they wanna share?” he asked casually.


“Just moments ago we were at each other’s throats… we were in a war,” Phenius retorted. Taken aback by the very question.


“But Phenius… there is always a war… WITH HUNGER! Now come, let us raid the pantry!” Garv countered with his arms pointed in the castle’s direction. Utterly unconvinced, Phenius turned on his heel and walked away. However, a few steps later, his stomach let out a grumble that would make a bear jealous. With a sigh and a shrug Phenius turned on his heel again. Saying nothing more than:


“Lead the way.”


To their good fortune the castle was abandoned in the wake of their two clashing armies… and the pantry was still intact. As such, the two dined on bread and soup… all while trying to make peace like their kingdoms did.

July 02, 2021 22:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Hector TORRES
19:16 Jul 12, 2021

I loved the story, those characters had great personalities

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.