0 comments

Adventure Mystery Suspense

"The alarm. Why do I hear an alarm? What's going on?"

With eyes wide open, you wake up with a cold sweat going down your back as you look around. What was that dream? You look over at her clock. 7:45, it read. You stood up suddenly, "Dammit, I'm late." 

Grabbing your uniform from the closet, you quickly put it on. You grab your book bag and quickly leave your room. I hope I don't get caught.  

You open the door to your classroom. Quietly, you walk in.

 "Get out your textbooks and turn to page 369, we are going to do a quick review from yesterday." Said Professor Erwin. 

You sit down at your desk, Looks like I got away with it. 

With everyone now having their textbooks open on page 369, the teacher begins to review. As the professor is going over the textbook, he is terrible at summarizing. You got used to writing your own notes. You brush your hand over your notes, reading In the year 2058, the defestating  World War 4 started, with enemies nuking our lands, people had no choice but to live in the vault underground, after 100 years the land outside is still dangerous, home to animal and human mutants who got exposed to the radiation for to long. Life underground is steady; doctors and scientists have found new ways to cure people of unknown illness of living in the vault. Of course there are other vaults just like this one- 

“BLAIR!” shouted professor Erwin. “Can you please pay attention?” 

You scowl. You're not the most fond of him. 

“As I was saying,” Professor Erwin started. “We will have a weekly test on Thursday, as you know, those who get top scores will be rewarded.” 

You frown at the statement. Every week we have tests, and for what anyway? Everyone wants to become a researcher or doctor, there's no point in learning all this. 

The bell rings. You shove all your stuff in your book bag and leave the classroom. 

“Careful on your way out Blair!” Professor Erwin says. 

You wave your hand, showing you heard him. You make your way to your room, and sit on your desk, spilling your books on the desk, you lean back in your chair and sigh. You close your eyes. What a tiring day.

“Blair come here!” says a girl with blond hair and green eyes. She puts her hands up showing a book, an old book at that. A small child with black wavy hair and brown eyes makes her way toward the girl with the book. 

“Look at this book my grandpa gave me,” says the blond girl. The child remembered her name was Caroline. “It talks about what life was outside the vault! It shows pictures of plants and animals I never heard of before!”

“What? I thought those books were banned, how did your grandpa get one?” 

“My grandpa got hired as a researcher! He sneaked one out for me to read.” 

“Careful not to get caught with that,” said a man coming from behind.

“GRANDPA!” exclaimed Caroline.

“Hello Caroline, Good afternoon Blair-”

Your memory fogged. 

“GRANDPA!” Screams Caroline. 

“NO DON'T TOUCH HIM!” Screamed the child.

You wake up from your nap. What was that? Shaking it off, you decide to start studying for the test tomorrow. 

-

The alarm rings, signaling that you need to wake up. Ughh, today's test day. After arriving at the classroom, the immense pressure of test day kicked in. A couple of minutes later when you're done with the test, Professor Edwrin announces the results.

“Blair in first place, Ryan in second, and Emma in third! Congrats to those with top marks!” 

Thank god that's over. 

“Everyone is dismissed!” said Profesor Edwrin. You head to your room to relax. As you're resting in your room you hear a commotion outside. You get out of your room to peak around the corner. It was two men from the police force and caroline. The police force? You rarely see them around here, what’s going on?

“You need to come with us,” started the police officer. 

“Why are you here? What did I do?” said Caroline. 

Suddenly the police officers grab hold of Caroline and drag her with them. What!? Why are they taking her away?!  As you tried to follow them, someone grabbed your arm. It was Professor Edwrin. He is holding up his finger to his mouth signaling to be quiet. You nod.

Professor Edwrin whispers. “You shouldn't follow them.” 

“Why not?” You question. 

“You don’t want to see what's going to happen.” he says firmly. 

You give him a frightened look. “Is something going to happen to Caroline?”

 You suddenly break free from his grasp and quietly but quickly follow them, with Professor Edwrin behind you. You find them in a room far away from the main base. The police officers throw Caroline in there and walk out. You can't see in there due to the tinted windows. 

“That's the slaughter room.” says Professor Edwrin. 

“THE WHAT?!” You exclaimed.

“SHHH!” Edwrin reminded. “It’s where the police task men take the students with the lowest scores, caroline placed last in the test today thats why-”

Screaming can be heard in the room, you rush in looking for Caroline but all that you are met with are mountains of bodies of your classmates who you thought were taking into other vaults to strengthen their talents. “Why… why is this happening?” You gasp in disbelief. 

“Blair I need you to listen to me, I know you may not remember much about who I am but the truth is I’m your brother. You were only a few months old when I learned the secrets of the place.” He explained, “I became a teacher to help and protect you so you won't be met with the same fate as these unfortunate people.” 

“Edwrin what do we do? You said in between light sobs. “There's so many people here, how do we stop them from dying?” 

“Blair lets escape from here, everything they told you about radiation outside was all a lie,” he explained. “We can do it if it's the two of us.” 

You quickly agree. You didn't want to be here anymore, it made you sick. You head to Edwin's room in which he had already prepared all the supplies you both will need to survive. You sneakily head towards the vault door, Edwrin is messing with the controls while you stare at the vault door, this is it you thought. Memories that you once shared with Caroline are now flashing in your mind as you shed a single tear. 

“Blair hit the button in front of you.” Explained Edwrin. You raise your hand to hit the button. This is it. I’m leaving this place.

“HEY WAIT FOR ME!” Someone behind you called out, You and Edwrin looked behind you. It was Ryan. The guy in your class that places second in the tests. 

“Guys please take me with you, I saw the police take away caroline and I overheard your conversation.” He explained out of breath. “Please take me with you, I don't want to die here!” Edwrin hits the button opening the vault door and also sounding the alarms. 

“Warning the vault door is now opening.” stated the intercoms. 

“Sure kid whatever, as long as you listen to my words I can help you survive.” Said Edwrin.

“Thank you professor!” Exclaimed Ryan with a sigh of relief. Edwrin grabs both you and Ryan’s hands and starts running towards the vault. The sun bearing down onto your faces. 

“Stop right there!” Yelled the police guards. You can see one of the researchers run to the control panel in hopes of closing the door before you can get there. But it was too late. You run up the stairs. The sun smiling down onto you as the vault door closes behind you. You stand above ground for the first time with Edwrin and Ryan by your side.

“Lets go.” said Edwrin. And with that you all take your first steps into your freedom.

May 07, 2021 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.