23 comments

Contemporary Crime Urban Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Bogart was sure this was the Sherwood Crime Family. They were known for making these sorts of statements. Then again, the Sherwoods now had an honest thing going with their frozen yogurt stands, and nobody had attached a felony to them in over nine years. Ah, but old habits die hard. Bogart’s mother, Tibbity (may she rest in peace), always told him that a wronged skunk never forgets. A raccoon, maybe, because eventually they’d want to get back to their trash, but a skunk? Nah, you ticked off a skunk and you were going to smell that odor around every corner for the rest of your life knowing that one day--

“Mr. Poppson,” a doctor called, looking around the room, “Is there a Mr. Poppson, here?”

She was young--maybe three or four. All the doctors were young these days, and if you got a squirrel as a doctor, it was even worse. The squirrels sent their kids to med school as soon as their tails were bushy enough. The last time he was at this hospital, a squirrel young enough to be his daughter was looking after him. That was when he nicked his ear in an arranged fight with a badger that went off script. That was small potatoes. This? This was--

“You want to tell me who did this to you,” the doctor asked as soon as they were in the examining room. It had that smell of bad medicine and good advice. No matter how many times Bogart wound up in a place like this, he never got used to that smell. Somehow, he managed to prop himself up on the table as the doctor sat down in a chair across from him. Her name tag read “Dr. Elizabeth Twigs” and he wondered whether or not she could be related to Barnaby Twigs, the bookie that wound up floating facedown in the pond a few months back.

“Barnaby was my uncle,” she said, reading his mind or catching his field of vision, “We hadn’t talked in awhile. The Twigs are not what you’d call a, uh, close family. Partly because I refuse to associate with known criminals.”

She scooted her little seat on its wheels so that she was only a few inches away from him and his soiled bandages. “And what about you, Mr. Poppson? Do you associate with known criminals?”

“What makes you so sure I’m not one?”

“Because according to your chart,” she gave it a quick scan even though it was clear she didn’t need to, “You’ve been in here over a dozen times in the past year. The criminals come in once and we never see them again. Either because they’re dead or because they took care of the person who put them here. What’s your story?”

“Do you need to know my story to help me?”

“No, but I’d like to--”

“I’d like you to stitch me up, Doc, so I can go find out who did this to me.”

She took a deep breath and rolled away from him. Blood was starting to pool at the tips of his bandages again. She pulled a few rolls from a drawer near her desk. Q-Tips and lollipops lined the top of the desk even though he’d never been given either.

“You new here,” he asked her, “I’ve never seen you until today.”

Dr. Twigs rolled back over to him and began undoing one of the bandages. He’d done his best, but he didn’t have much first aid at his apartment, so when he woke up in his bathtub covered in his own plasma, he’d had to make the best of a gory situation. That meant pulling himself out of the tub, slithering along the floor like a cobra until he could get to the hamper in his bedroom, pulling out a few already tattered garments ripping them up (rest in peace signed Eddie Bunny t-shirt), and cinching himself up as best he could.

As for the pain, well, he was used to pain. You’d think having somebody sneak into your place in the middle of the night, knock you out, and cut off your four feet would create an excruciating experience for any small mammal, but Bogart had seen and done things that made him virtually immune to feeling. Nowadays he cried at sad songs and enjoyed the taste of a well-done carrot cake, but other than that? Bupkis.

“Did they have to take all four,” Dr. Twigs asked, probably breaching some protocol of medical ethics, “Did they really hate you that much?”

Bogart shakes his head.

“This wasn’t hate, Doc,” he says, “This was opportunity. You know how much a rabbit’s foot goes for these days? I’m a walking target.”

Dr. Twigs removes the first bandage. Whoever cut off his back left paw did a bad job of it. Bogart is guessing they didn’t bring their own equipment. Chances are, when he gets back to his sad little apartment over near the babbling brook, he’ll find one of his kitchen knives lying around covered in his own fluids. That’ll be a nice little Easter Egg hunt for later.

“I hate seeing what’s happening to this forest,” Dr. Twigs says as she applies some new gauze to his wounds, “This used to be a nice place to live. A nice place to raise a family. The other day a duck came in here quacking up a storm, because her duckling got into some bad bread that somebody threw down by the clearing. The kid ended up being okay, but it was touch and go for awhile there. Why would somebody do something like that? Bad bread? That takes a sick mind. Don’t you think?”

She was more honest than most doctors. A lot of them acted like they were members of some kind of jury. Blank faces and unreadable demeanors as they prescribed you pills or ran a little string through you to hold you together. Pretty soon, he’d be so beaten up, there’d be no point. You couldn’t suggest that somebody off themselves, but a rabbit with no feet wasn’t getting very far in the world anyway.

“I think the forest has always been this way,” he said, his phantom limb starting to throb now that it was being tended to, “It just gets worse until the past seems better. If you talked to my mother, she would tell you that it was all sunshine and rainbows when she was growing up, and then it all went downriver. Me? I never thought my childhood was that bad, but now it feels like each day is worse than the last. I bet if you ask that duckling, he won’t say it’s too bad, but then again, I never chowed down on any rotten Wonder bread.”

Paw by paw she worked. When she was finished, she arranged for him to have some crutches, but she tried to talk him out of the painkillers. His tolerance meant he didn’t really need them, but she didn’t have to know that. Those would be worth more in the forest than his feet. He wasn’t going to turn down a few free meals provided by the good physician.

The expression on her face as she wrote out the script told him all he needed to know regarding how much she bought that he was going to use the two-week supply on himself. When she ripped it out of her pad and tucked it in his pocket, she commented that he should be dead already based on how much blood he lost.

“You’re lucky,” she said, her mind probably already coasting over to the next patient.

“Nah, Doc,” he said, “Not anymore.”

January 07, 2023 01:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Susan Catucci
18:36 Jan 19, 2023

So, this is what it'd be like living in a dark forest. Gangsters and thieves. I love it. I can picture in my mind what the illustrations would be like if this were a Grimm fairy tale, which is what it reminded me of; even though this is probably too grim even for Grimm. Time to call PETA. Great job, Kevin. A rabbit without feet is plumb out of luck - period.

Reply

Story Time
18:59 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you for reading, Susan.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
20:07 Jan 16, 2023

Urban Fantasy is my favorite genre on here to read, but if it weren't, this story would've converted me. Really creative stuff, Kevin. (I'm dying to know how you came up with this idea!) What I love about this piece is that it's able to weave in the worldbuilding so seamlessly while sacrificing none of the pacing. It's no secret that Fantasy short stories are a tough sell in the 3,000-word format because there's not much space to get an entire world/society/etc. across. But to do it in less than 1,500 words, and do it well, is amazing. Real...

Reply

Story Time
22:38 Jan 16, 2023

Thank you so much, Zack. As someone who grew up on Roger Rabbit and "Cool World," I think my brain was permanently wired to love noir but want to mess around with it. I didn't intend for it to have that tone when I started writing, but I knew I wanted a rabbit to lose all four of its feet, and because I'm animal lover, I had to go to fantasy to keep the rabbit alive. It was a brutal enough maneuver that I knew we had to go with crime, and once I figured that out, it gave me a reason to work within the genre.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R W Mack
17:08 Jan 14, 2023

Delightfully dark, yet whimsical. Welcome to being shortlisted this week, because it's worth it compared to a lot of safer stuff I've read.

Reply

Story Time
16:51 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 09, 2023

It's like Wind in the Willows, but noir :) Brutal what happened to the protagonist, but the math checks out. Four rabbit's feet are more profitable than one. A great, grim take on the prompt.

Reply

Story Time
07:59 Jan 10, 2023

Thank you, Michal! I went a little out there this time, but noir is still my favorite genre, so it was a lot of fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
R W Mack
17:10 Jan 14, 2023

That's probably the best description I could imagine. Upon reflection, I'd get behind a Secrets of Nimh meets No Country For Old Men themed mash-up. Like Zootopia, but less cute and more brutal natural concrete jungle realism. Whuch is basically Skid Row as is, just fluffier.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Jan 14, 2023

Ha, that's also a great mashup :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
20:36 Jan 09, 2023

Weird and more than a little depressing - just my kind of thing! Poor bunny.

Reply

Story Time
07:59 Jan 10, 2023

Thank you, Katharine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
07:00 Jan 09, 2023

Hey Kevin, I liked this story. I thought it was a unique twist on the prompt while addressing some much larger social issues. I’d be intrigued to see a story about the drum family referenced in the beginning. I think my favorite theme was about how easy nostalgia takes over when we think of the world. I thought it was sad to read your portion on the pain killers. I think my favorite line, though, was: It had that smell of bad medicine and good advice. Nice job on this one.

Reply

Story Time
17:27 Jan 16, 2023

Thank you so much, Amanda. It was interesting to live in this world for a bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
00:02 Jan 09, 2023

This story was very creative and original. I liked the associations made with references to the different animals. I got a vibe of Bugs Bunny for a bit of it. I could picture Bugs in that wood too. Then you brought in, "You're lucky." Well done! Thanks for the great read. LF6

Reply

Story Time
05:47 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you, Lily! I always appreciate you reading my work and I'm a Bugs fan myself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:09 Jan 07, 2023

Avenue Q meets Watership Down? I can see the animated version of this on [Adult Swim]. Then, the "Lucky" Theme Park rides at Universal Studios. You're going to make a killing on the merch -- you'll corner the market plush toys sales!

Reply

Story Time
05:50 Jan 09, 2023

The rabbit dolls are ready to go, Maestro!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
15:12 Jan 19, 2023

I've never been one for rabbit's feet and this story confirms I was correct never to indulge in that superstition. Very clever take on the prompt. I wonder if anyone else has done what the black cat really thinks! Best bit of this ( beyond the writing, which goes without saying) the cross over to our human world. The doctors: bad meds, good advice and misuse of prescriptions is the same for woodland folk as well as the two leggers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michael Keller
00:21 Jan 15, 2023

This is a superb story, and I will definitely be back to read more like this. That said, I will never again enter a contest with names attached. They are purely popularity contests.

Reply

Story Time
16:50 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you for reading the story, Michael. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:55 Jan 07, 2023

Very original, I was wondering where this would go when I saw the urban fantasy tag. The metaphor with squirrels and rabbits works, and it was clever using the "you're lucky" tv doctor phrase for the ending.

Reply

Story Time
18:23 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks Scott, I appreciate you giving it a read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.