0 comments

Adventure

 THE BIG HOUSE

It had been twenty four years since she’d last see it but the place looked exactly the same.

The Big House on the Northumberland coast line was originally built in 1862 by Robert Burton. He was a renowned brick maker by trade and had an extensive business. Sir Thomas Edwards the Conservative MP for Blyth commissioned Burton to build the Gothic looking facade in 1858. Georgian styled buildings were very popular at that time and Sir Thomas liked the style of the House of Parliament in London and churches of that period. The plans for the Big House were put forward to the parish council who passed them after a donation of one hundred guineas was given to the church. The Big House was to cost eight hundred and nighty guineas which was a small fortune in those days. It would be the equivalent of one million pounds by today’s standards. Sir Thomas had inherited a vast sum of money from his late father Sir Hugh Edwards MP as well as Estate. There was a one hundred and forty acre farm attached to the Estate which had been run by John Henry Mabbot who had worked for Sir Hugh Edwards as a young boy. There was two large barns for keeping the horses and animals over winter as well as four cottages that housed John Henry, his wife Emily and his two sons Arthur George and John James. The staff who ran both the Big House and the Red Rock Farm lived in the other cottages which Sir Thomas took from their wages in lieu of rent. There was a walled garden of four acres which grew all the fruit and vegetables for the table on the Estate and when Sir Hugh invited guests he liked to show off by having an array of exotic fruits and vegetables served during the winter months when they could not be purchased at the local Market. Sir Thomas liked the finer things in life, he wore elaborate clothing, drank fine whiskey from Scotland, cognac from France and fine wines made from his own vineyard. He was also a renowned gambler who played poker into the early hours of the morning. Sir Thomas rarely lost and if he did he made sure that his guests stayed until he’d won it all back and more. His Wife Elizabeth disliked his drinking and gambling because he became belligerent under the influence of alcohol. She would excuse herself and go to bed pretending to be asleep when her husband came to bed dreading that he would force himself on her. Sir Thomas desperately wanted a son but when Elizabeth gave birth to Fiona she was told that she would never be able to have children again. Sir Thomas resented the fact that his wife could bare him no heir and sort out the company of other women. They say he had a bastard son to one of the chamber maids. Walter Stephen’s never knew that his real father was Sir Thomas. His mother Frances (Fanny) Jenkin’s married Jack Stephen’s who worked on the farm as a blacksmith in the local church. Jack had always liked Fanny ever since she came to work at The Big House. It was shortly after they were married that Sir Thomas called for her in his study.

She wondered what she had done wrong and went up the stairs and knocked timidly on the big door made of oak.

“Come in.’ said a voice from within sternly and with some authority.

“You sent for me sir.’

Sir Thomas went to the door and turned the key in the door locking it from inside. His black leather riding boots reverberated off the highly polished wooden floorboards as he held a riding crop behind his back.

Fanny began to get nervous and she kept rubbing her hands together.

“Have I done something wrong said the young girl who was on the verge of tears.

“How long have you been in my employ? asked Sir Thomas inquisitively.

“Two years this Christmas Sir said Fanny.’

“How old are you?

“I’m twenty sir, I had my birthday last month.

“Really.’

Fanny looked down at the floor as the tall man walked slowly around her like a snake sizing up his prey. Sir Thomas wasn’t a handsome looking gentleman, he was now in his early forties. His sideburns were greying and the hair on his head was combed over to hide his balding pate. He was painfully thin and when she looked at him his eyes had lines under them with lack of sleep and his nose seemed large and bulbous. It was red with the amount of alcohol he’d consumed over the years.

“Close those curtains would you.’

Fanny quickly obeyed and went to the leaded window and drew the red velvet curtains. The room was lit by the large open fire and her shadow could be seen on the wall nearest the door where there was several decanters with whiskey and brandy on a large wooden sideboard. Sir Edward walked towards it and poured out two large glasses and then handed one to Fanny.

“No need to be nervous, here drink this.’

“I don’t drink sir.’

“You will do whatever I ask is that understood?

“Yes sir, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend.’

Sir Thomas stood close to Fanny and his hand came up and touched the softness of her face.

“You are a pretty young thing aren’t you?

“If you say so sir.’

“I do, I do, please drink up. It would be a shame to waste good brandy.’

Fanny raised the crystal glass to her lips and swallowed the gold coloured liquid. Surprisingly she liked the taste of it as it warmed her throat as it went down.

“Do you like working here Frances?

“It was the first time Sir Thomas had called her by name.’

“Yes sir I do very much.’

“Good, then if you want to keep your job you will do as I ask.’

“Anything sir, I do not wish to leave, Jack and I like it here.’

“Forget about Jack and come over here by the fire.’

Fanny walked slowly towards the fire then looked down again at the floor.

“look at me said Sir Thomas forcefully, so much so that it made her jump.

Frances lifted her head and looked up at her master who was now sitting in a large leather chair.

“Now listen very carefully to what I have to say, I want you to take off your clothes and then come over here.’

“But sir, I’m married.’

“You disobey me girl? Look, Just get out and pack your things and leave here immediately. I will pay you what you are due.’

Please sir don’t I’ll do it. The tears began to roll down Frances face then slowly she began to unbutton the dress she was wearing, her bosom was now rising and falling rapidly and she let it fall to the floor. She was wearing white camisole underneath. She drank the rest of the brandy before removing the rest of her clothes. Standing naked before Sir Thomas she tried to cover her modesty. He was breathing hard and he cleared his throat before getting to his feet. He removed her hands that were covering her nakedness and then stood behind her. His hand explored the intimate parts of her body and Frances gasped. She was both fearful and excited at the same time. Sir Thomas quickly unbuttoned his trousers and took her. When it was over Frances picked up her clothes she began to dress and straighten her hair.

“Will that be all sir?

“Yes,’ for now.’

Frances went to the door then unlocked it then left the room and made her way into the kitchen.

She never spoke about the incident to anyone. It was two months later when she started being sick in the mornings that she knew she was with child. She hoped that it was Jacks but deep down her instinct told her that it was Sir Thomas who was the father. Jack was delighted when Frances told him that she was pregnant. She couldn’t tell him that Sir Thomas had indeed raped her and that she was carrying his child because he would have killed him. Jack was immensely strong and could bend iron bars with his bare hands. When Walter was born Jack loved the boy as if he were his own.

As the years passed Walter began to help his father with the horses. He taught him all the skills needed to be a farrier. By the time he was thirteen he could go off and shoe horses for other people.

He looked nothing like Jack, Walter was tall and thin and had blond hair. Jack had jet black hair and was big and muscular. Frances had copper coloured hair. Walter had stunning blue eyes whereas Jacks were brown the same colour as Frances. At first Jack ignored it until he looked at Sir Thomas who was now starting to take an interest in the boy.

Sir Thomas sent for Frances and she feared that he would rape her again. She went into the study apprehensively and waited for Sir Thomas to speak.’

“I’ve been thinking and I think its time young Walter was given an education.’

“But sir, Walter likes working with the horses.’

“He will do as I ask or you can all leave this house. Is that understood?

“Yes sir.’

“I will make arrangements for Walter to go to Eton as a boarder.’ There he will learn law and will become a gentleman. I will make sure he gets an allowance and is properly attired. Frances asked when Walter would be leaving.

“A carriage will take us to London in the morning. I have a meeting in Parliament on Thursday. I will get Matthew’s my valet to go into town this afternoon and buy some new clothes for Walter to wear. We do not want to see him in rags do we.’

“What will I tell Jack?

“Tell him what you like, I care not what he thinks That will be all.’

Frances left the study in tears again. Sir Thomas Edwards was going to take her most precious possession away from her and there was nothing that she could do about it.

Frances waited until Lady Elizabeth and Sir Thomas were having lunch before running to the stables to tell Jack.

“I won’t let him take my son Fanny spat Jack vehemently. Get some gear together we’re leaving tonight when it gets dark.’

“Where are we going to go? We have no where to live.’

“We’ll meet that when the time comes. Look just do as I ask Frances.’

Throughout the rest of the day Frances worked away tirelessly in the kitchen. She managed to steal enough food from the evening meal to last them a few days. Packing it all into sheet she waited until Jack and Walter returned.

“Why are we leaving mother asked Walter inquisitively?

“I’ll tell you later just pack all your clothes.’

Jack took all of his tools from the stable that he’d made himself. He placed them into a canvas bag along with his leather apron. They left the oil lamp burning in the parlour as they made their way out into the darkness across the fields. Walter knew them like the back of his hand as they trudged through the boggy ground. Frances didn’t have a coat just a thick woollen scarf that covered her head and shoulders. The Autumn weather didn’t help. It was cold and damp and hard to keep one’s footing. Frances nearly fell and it was Jack who grabbed her by the arm with his free hand to stop her falling into a ditch. After walking for five miles they came to a hedgerow and a pathway that would take them to the fisherman’s cottages in Cullercoats. From there Jack hoped to gain passage on a fishing boat that would take them to France or Norway. Jack had saved quite a bit of money over the years. There was enough to pay their passage and to get them some digs until he found work.

They rested for a while in an old barn that they came across. They ate a piece of pork pie as the looked out of the open window. Aurora Borealis streaked across it in emerald green lighting the way for them. Jack was the first to rise after half an hour had elapsed. They set off again feeling refreshed. They were about ten miles away from Cullercoats now and Jack thought that it must be about two thirty in the morning because they had been walking for about four hours.

“If we get to Cullercoats before five then we will be able to catch a fishing boat going out.’

“Lets hope that we make it in time said Frances.’

Jack quickened his step and Walter fell in behind his mother as they walked along the gravel path. They could see the coast in the distance so they knew that it wouldn’t be long before they reached the beach where the horses pulled the coble's into the in coming tide. The coble’s were about thirty feet in length and had a sail the front of the boat. It rose high out of the water and had a canvas shelter that you could get under in bad weather. Most of the fishermen were long liner’s. They baited over a thousand hooks which was fed out slowly and left for three hours in the high tide before hauling it back in. The catch was a mixed bag of Cod, Plaice, Haddock, and Pollock. It was usually sold later that day at the market in North Shields.

“Look there it is said Walter as they drew ever nearer to the fisherman’s cottages. Jack ran on ahead scanning the beach. Walter saw his father talking to someone. He pointed up at them then waved for them to come down.

“This is my wife and son Michael said Jack enthusiastically.’

“Pleased to be making your acquaintance Madam.’ said Michael in a thick Geordie accent.

Michael Connolly has agreed to take us to Cherburg if we hurry.

Frances and Walter helped to place lobster and crab pots on board the boat called the Lazy Anne.

Then they all ran along the pier. climbing on board once the boat was far enough out along the pier. Climbing down a set of metal steps. Michael steered the boat and the little diesel engine began to make a put, put, sound. The boat glided over the waves as the dawn began to break. The sky turned from a light grey to azure blue. “Look at that dad said Walter the sun will be coming up soon.’

It’s going to be a nice day today said Michael. We should make good time.’

“How long before we hit the French Coast?

“The old fisherman took out a gold pocket watch before flipping the lid.

“I reckon we’ll be on the French coast in four hours. I’m going to set my pots first.

Turning the rudder Michael let out the first string of pots over the side with a long rope attached to a bobber float. Then he steered another half mile before repeating the process. When all twenty pots were out he headed south.

“Don’t you use a chart? said Walter excitingly. He’d never been on a fishing boat before but he liked it.

“No,’ I’ve been fishing these waters in the North Sea for over forty years bonny lad. I know them like the back of my hand.’ Why don’t you try and get your head down for a couple of hours hinny said Michael pointing at the front of the boat. There’s a thick blanket under that tarpaulin there. You can use it to keep you warm.’

“Thank you said Frances as she walked unsteadily to the front of the boat in wooden clogs. She lay on the small wooden bench wrapping the blanket around herself and was soon asleep with the motion of the boat that rocked her gently.

Walter and Jack looked out ahead of them, they spotted a pod of dolphins feeding upon shoals of herring. It was fascinating to watch as they blew bubbles underneath the shoal. The fish were forced to the surface with all the bubbles and the dolphins picked them off. Flocks of gannets and gulls dived in picking up morsels. Michael took out a cane fishing rod with twelve feathered hooks. He dipped them into the water and came up time after time with several fish. They flapped about in the bottom of the boat as he shook them off the hooks. Soon there was over a hundred fish in the boat. Michael took out a frying pan and lit a small stove with some chopped sticks. “You hungry he asked as he cut several fillets off the herring and discarded the guts and bones over the side. The smell of cooked fish permeated throughout the boat and it wasn’t long before Frances was awake. They all ate a hearty breakfast before reaching France. They had never eaten fried herrings before and they were different from the kippers that Sir Thomas Edwards liked to eat for breakfast.

Sir Thomas had woken to find Walter his son gone. he’d got on his horse and rode after them. He pushed the horse so hard that it fell into a ditch and Sir Thomas was thrown headlong and banged his head on a rock. He was killed instantly.

Elizabeth and her daughter both died of pneumonia in1883 and The Big house was left to Walter in Sir Thomas Edwards last will and testament. Frances, Walter and Jack returned to The Big house after twenty four years of living in France. They were still together and that’s all that mattered.

November 15, 2020 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.