0 comments

Friendship

The cold stung my nose and cracked my skin, though I don't mind. I have come to enjoy the coldness that January brings. It adds a pleasant tingle and isn't as irritating as summer, especially the sweat and humidity. I dug my chin further into my scarf, reveling in its warmth, the cup of coffee's heat leaked into my hands. Smuggled into warmth on a cold morning is one of winter’s finest bliss. 

I walked down the street to my work, thankfully it was a walking mile away from my house. The world was drenched in gray tone with clouds camouflaging the sky. 

The coffee shop’s little bell announced my arrival with its little tinkling sound. “Good evening Mrs. Ichigo!”

A woman popped from behind the counter. Her benevolent smile had etched lines around her mouth and time had done it under her eyes.

“Aren’t you early?” her tone had a buoyant swing, as it always has.

“Well you know, had nothing to do so came early to help around the shop.”

“You can watch the counter and fill the shelves,” she gestured towards baked goods. “I’ve done half of it but the storage needs organizing so I’ll head there.”

“Aye aye captain!”

The shop was empty for it was a weekday and the rush hour had its due in the morning. Few folks came in a few minutes after I had arrived, the shop’s ambiance was tranquil with a homely tint. What was better than a warm and cozy shop in winter.

However , having hot cocoa milk spilled all over your apron without an argument is not blissful. As I was about to serve a customer their order, a man had run into me splashing that good all over my apron. The small crowd gave a small collective gasp at the commotion. The heat stung my skin.

“God, I am so sorry.” He gushed with a red face.

“No sir, no need to apologize. It’s okay,” I say as I pick up the order from the floor.

“No, I should’ve looked where I was going and shouldn’t be in such a rush in a  crowded area. Can I pay for the dry cleaning?"

“Oh you don’t need to, ” I returned as I got up and for once, took a look at the man. There was something familiar about him, as if I know him but can’t put my finger on it.

"No please, let me, It was terrible of me to ruin your clothes like that. Please let me pay for the damage."

Knew him or not, this man did not know how to take no for an answer. "Can we talk later about it? I have to work right now.’ I excused

“Then can I have your number to call you later? I don’t have money on me right now, I can pay you later= though.”

Jesus, there is no escaping this man. “I’ll give it in a minute.”

“Once again, so sorry.”

I was finally released to attend to other customers.

Well, that man ended up with my number when he came to order at the counter. He was in a rush to meet someone, that’s what he told me as I wrote my number down on a piece of paper. He expressed how glad he was that his guest did not arrive. It had to do with his job and he would’ve looked like a blundering fool.

“Can I have your name?” he asked.

“Nathan.”

‘Uh,’ he said it as if it ringed a faraway memory but he was unsure. “Nice name.”

"And yours?"

"Aslan."

I've heard that name before, was it from the Narnia movie? -no wait-it was somewhere else, but where?

Soon enough he was busy with the man he was supposed to meet and I was busy with my job. Though it still startled me how familiar he looked, I couldn’t remember the details of it. The crook in his nose, the light’s embrace on his cheekbones, even his perfect smile seemed like deja vu. I racked my memory storage to recall from where I knew him. I recalled every face I could from everywhere and he was there, In the depths of my goldfish memory, but blurry-very blurry.

He left along with his guest.  

“Goodbye Mrs.? Ichigo, see you tomorrow.” I waved her goodbye and trudged down the sidewalk toward my home, which rested a few blocks away. Snow sauntered and the wind danced lazily. Albeit the serene weather, the street itself was animated with activity and noise. People bustled in their world and the building’s bright light illuminated the street. The city was just as alive in the night as it was in the day. I reached my small apartment that consisted of a small living area, a small kitchen, and a small bedroom. 

I was having my dinner when an unknown number called me.

“Hey, it’s me, the guy that ruined your clothes.”

“Oh! Hello Aslan.”

“When do you have the time to meet up?” His tone jittered like a nervous cat. “I'll give the money then and perhaps treat you to a coffee.”

“You don’t have to go to such lengths.”

“I insist.”

“Well, umm…..how about this Saturday?”

“Works for me.”

“Meet up at Seong Cafe at……..five-umm-thirty?” I suggested

“...works for me.”

“See you then,”  I say.

“Yeah.” He says.

And the call ends with a click. Well, this ought to be interesting, first being that I seemed to know him from somewhere, I just don't know where that is. Second: he seems keen on inviting me to have a coffee with him. For what purpose? Well, I’ll procrastinate on that and sleep for now because I am exhausted. Good night fellas.

_____________________________________

Saturday came after two days with snowfall and cold whispering winds. I arrived 15 minutes early at the cafe. Seong Cafe was a few streets away from ours. It was a cozy and homely shop with modern and sleek steaks. The window showed a white and cold world inside from a warm shop. 

He soon arrived. His dark hair was hidden under a dirty green beanie and he wore a blue jacket. I waved him over.

“Did you get something?” He asked after our greeting

“Besides water, nothing.”

“What do you want?” He asked and his hand went for his wallet. “It’s my treat.”

I was about to protest when I remembered arguing with him is as good as arguing with a wall.

I got a Caramel  Macchiato and he got himself a cafe special mocha. We each ordered a slice of cheesecake and sat near the window. I still couldn’t figure out where I knew him from.

“Sorry to interrupt but do I know you?” I asked. 

His deep brown eyes widened as if I told him that Russian were aliens. Then his eyebrows dug in a frown in a pensive manner. “Well you look familiar too,” He said. “ but I can’t recall how.”

“Well, that’s fantastic. Two strangers that know each other but can’t tell how. Isn’t fate beautiful.” I remarked 

“Did we go to school together perhaps?” Said Aslan.

“That’s a possibility but I’m hoping it’s not true. My school wasn't my prime years.”

He gave a small laugh, “ well how about I treat you to dinner and we can figure this out then.”

Dinner caught me off. He did say that I looked familiar too.

“Nah, dinner will be on me this time. You already paid for coffee” I said.

He opened his mouth to protest. “I’m not taking a no.” I cut him short with a brick answer.

“Alright alright,” He raises his hand in surrender. “ So tomorrow at seven. If that’s alright with you.”

“Where to meet up?” I ask.

“This place serves fine.”

We continued to sip our coffee with small talk lingering between us. He seemed to talk about plants a lot. We also discovered we both lived on the same street.

He paid me for the dry cleaning and we bid each other goodbye.

I reached home around 7:48. ——————–———————————–

“Jesus Christ it’s cold.” Aslan rubbed his hands and blew into them.

“You should’ve worn more clothes then,” I said. “Or you could’ve allowed me to drive you to the restaurant.”

“Nah, walking is better. I like feeling the cold.” His lips turned a little at the end. “ Do you find that weird?” He asked suddenly, taking a nervous edge.

“Not at all. I quite enjoy it too.” I replied with a slight smile.

He took me to a small weather-beaten  Chinese shop.

“It doesn’t look pretty on the eyes but they sell the best dumplings ever.” 

“I’ll take your word on it.”

We sat in one corner and ordered two bowls of dumpling soup.

He was right about being great food. 

“It is great.” I exclaimed, savoring the spices and perfect texture of the food.

“Glad you like it.”

A minute or two might have passed when he suddenly made an “OH!” Sound with an extra exclamation mark. I was a bit startled.

“I almost forgot to tell, I figured how we might have known each other.”

He seemed ecstatic.

“So how do we know each other?”

“I was right, we went to high school together.”

I choked on my dumpling, “we-we did.” I dreaded this. 

He gave a soft chortle, “now I know why your school wasn’t your prime years. Who knew you keep long dyed hair with piercings.”

I buried my face in the cup of my hands, mortified. He continued to laugh at my reaction.

“No wonder I couldn’t recognize you. You look so different.”

Well, I did change my hair to its natural honey brown shade and cut it short. Lost the piercing and had to get a pair of glasses.

“So what about you?” I asked.

“I was on the football team.”

It didn’t ring a bell and I must’ve shown it on my face.

“Doesn’t ring a bell.” He says after studying me for a bit. I shook my head.

“Wow, your memory has some other level of damage.”

I shrugged and took another mouthful of that dumpling soup. 

“Well, we met an old friend and are having dinner with him. Who cares about the past.” I say with a free and lazy tone.

“You’re just saying that to cover up your terrible memory,” Aslan said with a raised eyebrow. I shrugged.

We ended up having two more bowls. He continued to talk about his school days and what he thought of me. He talked and I listened. 

Miraculously I remember him through the course of that meal though I did not say.

He is a stranger now and was before. I don’t consider him a friend.

I remember him being outgoing and friendly, the type to have a smile all the time. Easy going and an extrovert. I was the opposite.

Nothing about him intrigued me back then, we were two different people. 

“Did my stories bring anything back or is it not working.” Aslan sashes with a stuffed mouth. How is his food not cold with him talking all the time? 

“Your stories did unpack a lot of trauma. I also remember you. You were a real friend to everyone, weren’t you.”

He gave a small chuckle. 

We then brought ice cream and a little walk in a nearby park. We talked, we laughed, and had fun overall.

“I enjoyed today,” I said as we were about to part. “Oh, and the meal. The food was the best part.”

“Great, I had fun too.”

There was a pause before he continued. “Would you wanna do this some other time. I can make a wicked chicken roast If you are interested.”

“I’d like that.”

“I’ll give the details over the phone.”

“I’ll be waiting. Bye now.”

“Bye.”

July 02, 2021 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.