Hearts Aflutter

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a love story without using the word “love.”... view prompt

35 comments

Romance Happy

Crumbs fall at my feet. I peck at them, searching for the softer bits. It doesn’t taste right and I briskly wipe my beak on the ground. I strut off in search of other offerings, but so far only stale crumbs and rancid seeds litter the stony ground.


Leaving the open area, I wander over the uneven grass, pecking at any potential spot. I only find seed shells and things that might have satisfied me, but are now covered in ants. I raise my beak at the uncivilized spectacle of the ants and take flight, landing on a cold, damp twig. I ruffle my feathers and preen a little.


It’s been a slow day. Most visitors to my home are staying away, though the rain ended late in the night. But this way I won’t have to worry about those furry four-legged monstrosities that seem to think I’m edible. My tail twitches at the memory of Crimson Beak’s near miss the other day. He disappeared in a puff of feathers and only later did I discover him, wide-eyed and motionless behind a bush; he barely acknowledged me when I cooed at him.


But now he perches in a neighboring tree, his mate Sandy just below him. They sing loudly and eagerly, and probably won’t stop for the rest of the day.


My gaze travels lower and there! I see everyone’s favorite visitor has entered the grounds, a familiar seed bag clutched in her giant…well, she’s not a bird, but it looks like she has two claws, no feathers, and strange flippers for feet. Shimmering golden threads cover her head. I swoop down and land by her feet as she rests on one of the low stone ledges.


I amble in lazy circles near her—Sunflower, as she’s known—and wait for her to dispense the usual food. Soon tasty sunflower seeds fall all around me and I race to gobble as many of the ready-to-eat treats as I can before anyone else arrives.


Sunflower’s covered in drab browns today and I wonder what kind of mate she hopes to attract. Some yellows might accompany her well, or perhaps a bold red like Crimson Beak. Many of the other visitors are in dizzying and confusing colors, and make their indescribable noises, but not Sunflower. She stays on the outer edges of my home in her strange plumage of subtle browns and grays, and she studies the other visitors. Crimson chirps at her the same way he does at Hawk the Ripper, but I don’t think she’s that dangerous.


I peck up another seed and scoot over to the water tree to take a deep drink. Looking back over my tail I see Sunflower…I coo angrily and waddle back to her feet. She’s eating the seeds, and several precious bits fall out of her beak-less maw and to the ground. I hurry to eat a few more seeds but quickly get too full and grudgingly cede ground to the other flocks now converging on her.


Sunflower remains until most of the birds are settled for the night and even then she only leaves when the small floating suns flicker into existence.


~ ~ ~


I don’t expect Sunflower for another few sleeps, but the next day she’s on her usual stone perch. She doesn’t have any seeds and I haughtily ignore her because of it. Until, that is, she starts screeching in that un-melodic way the visitors have, flapping her featherless wings and stomping in furious jerks.


All the other birds fly clear, but I nibble on a stash of seeds collected earlier that day, watching Sunflower rage at an invisible enemy.


Another visitor approaches Sunflower, his slick coat a lustrous blue, the kind I only see on the obnoxious Jays and Joes. He taps her on the shoulder and she whirls to face him. Her pale skin now resembles the color of Crimson’s feathers.


Sunflower squeaks out a greeting to this new popinjay and he rumbles a reply. She diminishes under his inspection and waves her flimsy wings in defeat, slumping back to her stone ledge. The newcomer, Big Jay, takes the empty perch beside her and hands over a lumpy bag similar to the one she normally carries.


I stroll closer to the pair.


Big Jay reaches into the bag and showers of sunflower and pumpkin seeds cascade around me. I race to fill my beak. Other seeds I don’t recognize scatter across the ground, and bits of berries and bugs too. What a feast! And so fresh!


Many other birds join me and I glance at Sunflower. She and Big Jay are now both throwing out food.


A flash of soft brown catches my attention and I turn to see a beautiful female dove picking at the outside edges of the feast. My berry falls from my beak and I charge toward her. I bow my head several times and coo loudly. She pecks delicately at her berry and pauses to look up at me. I puff out my chest and bob my tail.


~ ~ ~


My dove is impressed by my flying and spiral descents. She runs to me when I land and we go to the water and splash around together.


I watch every day for a visit from Big Jay or Sunflower. Several rests pass before either of them return. When they do, I immediately swoop down as they both throw out food. I swiftly gather the best pieces to share with my dove.


Sunflower is singing in short bursts and I glance at her. She and Big Jay seem…at ease. No fear or worry surrounds them and I walk a little nearer. No Hawk will attack them.


~ ~ ~


I am foraging for our nest. I search deliberately for the sturdiest twigs and return with them for my dove to begin building our home. I chose the spot because of the boughs above us: we will be dry no matter the storms.


Big Jay and Sunflower still visit. Many times Big Jay has scared off lesser jays for trying to impress Sunflower. He will be a good provider for Sunflower.


I go back to picking materials. I return to my dove, give her the perfect twig, and fly back down to resume my hunt.


~ ~ ~


Many rests go by without Big Jay and Sunflower. I wonder if they are busy building a nest together. It was a joyous time making the nest with my dove.


I hunch down deeper in our nest. We are waiting for our first clutch to hatch.


Crimson and Sandy have also made preparations for a hatching. It was't a contest, I told my dove, but Crimson and I were both sharply aware of what the other did. My dove cooed in disapproval but waited patiently as I raced across the forest in search of the best twigs while Crimson sang mockingly at me as he supervised the building of his nest.


Today I peek over the edge of the nest to coo a greeting at Sandy and spot Big Jay striding by us.


He stops at his and Sunflower’s spot. In one claw he carries a collection of wildflowers and I catch the scent of the wonderful edibles. Big Jay’s other claw preens the thick fluff on his head until it stands up like Crimson’s tuft. He flattens his crest and collapses on the ledge, the flowers dangling loosely.


I situate myself better on the eggs and search the area for Sunflower. She must not be far away and maybe she’ll bring seeds.


The sun begins to fall and still Sunflower does not appear. Big Jay ignores the other female visitors flocking closer to him and at last stands. He carefully sets the flowers on the stone ledge and slowly leaves. I perk up. Maybe I could have the flowers; something nice for my dove.


A loud call travels through the air and it alerts Big Jay. He stiffens and I spread my wings protectively over the eggs and search the air. More calls sound and I relax when I see Sunflower. She’s covered in pale blue today and the way it moves makes it look like she’s flying toward Big Jay. She tries to capture him with her stick-like wings and Big Jay’s longer ones easily surround her. He holds her close and the two sway back and forth. The flowers are forgotten.


The pair walk off together a short while later, claw in claw. Theirs was a strange courtship, but it seems to have concluded. I hope they bring seeds next time.


When my dove returns to our nest, I dive down to the flowers and pluck a few blooms. 

February 12, 2024 19:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Mike Panasitti
16:50 Feb 14, 2024

Romance from a bird's eye view--all without use of the word "love." Very creative response to the prompt.

Reply

Kailani B.
04:23 Feb 15, 2024

I thought this prompt was the most intriguing option. I wanted to write a cute and non-human story. Doves are cute and not human, so it seemed a great blend. Thank you for reading my story, Mike!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
10:48 Feb 13, 2024

This is such an interesting story. I love the MC, his description of human activities is really cool. I really felt as if I was sitting there in the tree with him. :)

Reply

Kailani B.
03:42 Feb 15, 2024

I didn't expect to be writing from a bird's perspective this week, but it sure was fun. Thanks for reading, Annie!

Reply

Annie Persson
09:46 Feb 15, 2024

You're welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
02:22 Feb 13, 2024

This is a take on the prompt that I never would have considered. Your descriptions are vivid and elegant. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Reply

Kailani B.
04:52 Feb 14, 2024

I don't have much experience writing romance, so it made sense to use that to my advantage by having the narrator not be human. Thanks for your compliments! I can't wait to write more stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:26 Feb 12, 2024

Birds of a feather flock together. Love is in the air. Thanks for liking my 'Sixties Teen '. Thanks for following. Thanks for liking my 'Alyce's Restaurant'. Maybe your doves could come on down and see if they find anything good to peck at. I wrote a story from bird's point of view called 'A Little Birdie Told Me...'

Reply

Kailani B.
20:48 Feb 13, 2024

"Love is in the air," what a perfect way to describe it! Thanks, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samara Minnow
09:33 Feb 26, 2024

I've never read a story from a bird's point of view. Very imaginative. Very cute.

Reply

Kailani B.
18:49 Feb 26, 2024

Birds are underused! Thanks for reading, Samara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nic P
16:57 Feb 22, 2024

I love the perspective of a dove and the way the story alludes to the thoughts and feelings love ignites, rather than the words one uses to convey it. I adored this take on the prompt!

Reply

Kailani B.
05:01 Feb 23, 2024

A lot of people have trouble expressing their love in words, and I'm pretty sure birds have the same problem too :) Thanks for reading, Nic!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
20:49 Feb 21, 2024

Fantastic, and so creative! Wonderful use of the prompt!

Reply

Kailani B.
01:58 Feb 22, 2024

So glad you liked it! I might have to do more animal POVs in the future. Thanks, Ty!

Reply

Ty Warmbrodt
02:00 Feb 22, 2024

Animal POVs are always fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristina Aziz
05:06 Feb 19, 2024

This is my favorite take on this prompt!

Reply

Kailani B.
03:00 Feb 20, 2024

Aww, that's so nice, Kristina! Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
08:46 Feb 18, 2024

This is really interesting concept. It forces you to use your imagination. I like it.

Reply

Kailani B.
21:40 Feb 18, 2024

That's one of my favorite things about writing short stories: it allows me to run wild in any direction. It's fun to explore various plots and settings without having to commit to a whole book. Thanks for reading, John!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
00:33 Feb 18, 2024

I guess all creatures fall in love - and all in their own ways. Beautifully done!

Reply

Kailani B.
04:03 Feb 18, 2024

Affection and love from and between animals is so sweet. Glad you liked my story, Karen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
00:31 Feb 18, 2024

Cute! I had a pair of doves visit and make a nest in my backyard for several years. I wonder about this myself sometimes! 'Sunflower’s covered in drab browns today and I wonder what kind of mate she hopes to attract.'

Reply

Kailani B.
03:56 Feb 18, 2024

I love seeing birds build their nests. They're so amazing. Thanks for reading, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
15:23 Feb 17, 2024

Loved this! A Bird’s Eye view of the world. The bird’s perspective was well conveyed. I liked the way the human and bird romances were woven together like a dual love story.

Reply

Kailani B.
03:51 Feb 18, 2024

It's a two-for-one special on Love Avenue! Thanks, Michelle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:55 Feb 15, 2024

Non-human was a great way to meet the prompt - and it pairs so nicely with the title - and the parallels and differences between the courtship dances are amusing too :) It seems feathered or otherwise, we're all pretty much doing the same things on this planet - a point that's also shown without explicitly being stated. Good voice on the narrator. Seeing humans from a bird's eye view is a neat POV, but the little moments when he's miffed or jealous make him feel real too. He's not merely a camera to view the humans with, but is instead an ...

Reply

Kailani B.
04:22 Feb 16, 2024

From a writer's perspective, I reckon there's a whole bunch of similarities between humanity and bird brain that are just waiting to be explored. And I'm sure birds get angry, though aggressive cooing probably doesn't carry as much weight as they think it does :) Thank you for commenting, Michał!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
16:00 Feb 15, 2024

Awe, I loved the selection of DOVES. How sweet. Many things spring to mind for Valentines day like roses, hearts, a bow and arrow, and doves! A creative out of the box take on this weeks prompts. Thank you for the story Kailani, Danie

Reply

Kailani B.
19:49 Feb 16, 2024

Thanks for commenting, Danie! For the first couple paragraphs I was imagining a pigeon but quickly changed my mind. Doves are my favorite park bird and they work so much better for this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
01:42 Feb 15, 2024

Kailani, Wonderful take on the prompt. I was in that place at ground level watching everything take place. That was the magic you wove in this piece. Every day, I feed the magpies, as I listen to their beautiful warbling and coded vocabulary, crested pigeons with their beady-red eyes, sparrows that brave gatherings of much larger birds, the occasional kookaburras with their unmistakeable laugh, and cockatoos of contrasting colours that seem to practice their own version of apartheid. So, you captured me in the first sentence and never let ...

Reply

Kailani B.
02:41 Feb 16, 2024

Your compliments are so gratifying to hear, Chris! Thank you! Living in the country has made me appreciate birds more than I used to; their behaviors are so fascinating. I also keep chickens, and they see me as the bringer of food, so that helped create the perspective in this story, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:00 Feb 14, 2024

How adorable ! Love in the perspective of a dove. I love how he finds human activities strange and relates human body parts to his own. Brilliant, fresh take!

Reply

Kailani B.
04:45 Feb 15, 2024

I've only ever seen mourning doves: they're super cute and happy looking, and they mate for life, which is perfect for the story. Describing humans in a way that is understandable for the readers and yet makes sense coming from a bird was an interesting and enjoyable path to explore. Thank you for the nice comment, Stella!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:18 Feb 15, 2024

What I like is the fact that you didn't choose the usual love bird for the story but a dove. Very fresh take!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.