Contest #111 winner 🏆

73 comments

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Contemporary

CW: alcoholism, domestic violence


Flour is highly flammable, but maybe you know that. 


I remember once, when I was a teenager, someone at tailgate party tossed a cup of flour into the air over the fire we'd built. It went "WHOOSH" and lit the sky for miles up, or so it seemed. 


Thank God there was no wind. It was epic. I had had a few tokes and I was trying to articulate to my friend Clarisse how my mother worked with flour every day, making it into things, and yet, watching it become NOTHING was so much more spectacular. 


Clarisse was busy watching a moth on her sleeve, so I'm not sure she was even listening. 


It's funny how you remember things. Even stoned, I remember that so clearly, how impressive that quick flour fire was, and how it overshadowed my mother's pedestrian use of flour and fire.


***


I was raised on doughnuts. Mom got up at 4 am almost every day - she said she couldn't sleep any longer than that. She got up and made batches of doughnuts. I was well into my twenties before I calculated that a 'batch' was a dozen dozen, and therefore my mother made doughnuts in multiples of 144. 


When I would get up for school at 7:30, there would be hot doughnuts ready, although I usually had toast. Some of my uncles used to stop in for doughnuts and coffee. I would wake up and wonder what grown-ups did so early in the morning that by 7:30 they needed a coffee break. 


One day, years before I was born, one of my uncles was goofing around and teasing my mom. She was notorious for her temper. She got mad and poured hot coffee in his lap. I like to imagine her that way. Fiery. A big flare of temper. 


I was born the last child in our family by far. Mom thought she was getting menopause, but she got me. By that time her temper had cooled some. Maybe 25 years of living with an alcoholic had vented it off. 


I made my first dozen doughnuts when I was 27. Mom had been dead for four years. My boyfriend complained about the smell of frying. It took me two hours from the time I started. I wondered if it was faster when you started before dawn. 


***


I was a reader as a kid. I went from room to room with my book hovering inches from my face. I could manage stairs, eating, toothbrushing, without missing a word. I think it annoyed my mother. She read some, but mainly before bed. During the day she was too busy baking, cleaning, buying groceries, checking in with my aunts, trying to keep tabs on dad so he didn't get too out of hand. 


Housework was not my forte. I was oblivious and messy. My cousins would visit and tidy things up, pitch in on dishes while I read. Mom called me lazy. 


It's true. I was lazy. 


***


Mom sold her baked goods, especially the doughnuts, at a local grocery store. That's why she baked so many. It helped her make enough to supplement dad's disability pension, to cover when most of his cheque went to the Legion. 


I did not have her entrepreneurial drive. I did what I knew how to do: I read, and learned. I was an honours student. I figured the best thing I could do for mom was to finish school, go to university, get a good job, and then... maybe rescue her? I wasn't clear on what the "and then" was. Mom was never much interested in leaving dad, as much as he drove her crazy. 


***


On the very rare occasion when dad drank black rum instead of white, he would get fighty. Usually he fought with my brother, and mom would throw herself in the middle to protect him. 


I hid. 


Once dad was so bad that mom and I and my brother drove to my sister's house in the middle of the night. Mom was clear eyed and glowed in the light from the dashboard. It was weird and exciting. I didn't even read in the back seat the whole way there.


Two days later we went home. Dad had sold most of mom's dishes for drinking money. 


***


When mom died, it happened suddenly. It seemed like forever that we had been expecting dad's liver to explode. And then, mom's heart stopped. I was living at university. I didn't know anything was wrong until she was gone.


For a year after, I felt like all the stars had burned out in the sky. Everything was dark. 


***


Mom never wanted to teach me to cook, probably because I was lazy and bad at other housewifely things. Maybe also because she had no patience. 


But I would watch her, absorbing information unwittingly. How many apples to slice in a pie, how to use the paring knife, stopping it with my thumb, not getting cut. How to spread out the filling for cinnamon buns -- buttering the dough with a butter knife, sprinkling on the cinnamon and sugar, rolling it up with finger tips and holding it with the heel of your hand so it doesn't unroll. 


How to take the doughnuts carefully on your hand and set them into the hot fat so that they didn't stretch out.


All of this information soaked into me the way that turmeric absorbs into your hands, staining them. My memory was stained with secret knowledge. 


***


A year after mom died, I found out my thyroid had stopped working. I thought it was depression, but eventually my mood lifted. My sleep got strange as my body adjusted. One night I woke at 3 am. I was restless, pacing the kitchen, feeling the need for dusty flour on my hands. 


It was too soon to make doughnuts.


I decided to make biscuits. I found the index card with my recipe, written quickly by me as my mother had recited it from memory. It was written in code. Flour: 2 c, plus some for kneading, but not too much. Butter - enough to make it flaky. Baking powder. Salt. Milk. Sugar if you want. 


I took a deep breath, pulled out the bowl. Let my body take over. Cut in the butter, not letting it melt. Quickly stirred in the milk. Knead, 10 times, quarter turns. The movement felt like breathing. Cut them out with the crinkled cutter, pat the tops with a finger of milk, lightly score with the fork tines. Bake. 


Out the window, the stars faintly glowed. I turned on the gas to make coffee. A "whoosh!" sounded. Flour had fallen on the stove top and ignited, flaring quickly. 


An offering. 

A benediction. 

A mother's approval at last.


September 16, 2021 01:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Zannie Rose
09:27 Sep 25, 2021

glad you won- so I got to read this great story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Denise Bayes
06:16 Sep 25, 2021

I enjoyed the fragments that drew together in this. How she tries to be mum, to make donuts but finds herself in biscuits, her own related but separate creation. Loved this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mandy Yates
05:40 Sep 25, 2021

Touching story! Congratulations on the win! I'm sorry you lost your mom. I'm sure you have more than her approval. Im sure she is very proud of you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elaine Eleri
03:49 Sep 25, 2021

Love the metaphors hidden in the story, the simplicity in style and the impact left behind at the end. A winning piece indeed! Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:32 Sep 24, 2021

ooh, girl, this pulled at the 'strings! deserved win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
M. J. Riv
18:23 Sep 24, 2021

The story moves effortlessly and conveys feeling without being melodramatic . I enjoyed the cathartic ritual that the narrator is instinctively drawn to and how it connects her to her mother. Beautiful

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trish Beauchemin
17:39 Sep 24, 2021

This is so good! It made me teary, thinking about all the times I watched my mom bake and cook before she died. Congrats on the well deserved win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michele Duess
17:36 Sep 24, 2021

Great story. It reminds me of how I feel when I bake bread like my father did. He's still alive but it's like carrying on a tradition from father to daughter. And I like the word "fighty."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paige Ishii
17:34 Sep 24, 2021

Very nice story. Loved the line about the stars burning out. Congrats on your win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rodrigo Juatco
17:32 Sep 24, 2021

Nice story. Enjoyed it very much. Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Teresa Renton
17:04 Sep 24, 2021

Brilliant well done! I loved the pacing and how you used simplicity to convey such depth. Just wonderful. I also loved the line about the stars burning out 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amy Pate
17:00 Sep 24, 2021

This was a lovely and engaging story. Quite marvelous. Congratulations on the win!!

Reply

19:48 Sep 24, 2021

Thank you Amy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
16:49 Sep 24, 2021

this was a very touching story, i enjoy your writing style! the starting line had me set the second i read it. one of my favourite lines must be: "For a year after, I felt like all the stars had burned out in the sky. Everything was dark." well deserved win, good job. :)

Reply

19:48 Sep 24, 2021

Thank you, Dorsa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Kreiger
16:10 Sep 24, 2021

A great and simple story. Makes you appreciate the moments you have with your mom because you never know when it will be the last one. Thank you for the great read!

Reply

16:41 Sep 24, 2021

For sure, appreciate them! <3 Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Faisal Safi
02:18 Feb 22, 2022

oh wow I usually don't read books or story's but I have to say this is one of the best short story's out there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jill Ostaszewski
18:39 Dec 19, 2021

A beautiful tribute to a hardworking mother. I enjoyed the use of the flour as a means of connecting to the mother.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elvenia Fayetea
22:14 Nov 25, 2021

Wow, this is a great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
03:17 Nov 25, 2021

Congratulations. A well deserved win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:36 Oct 22, 2021

That was great. I was hooked until the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
M. M.
23:27 Oct 12, 2021

Aww, took me back to the 70s, my mom baked a lot too, nice story for young teens. congrats on the win

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.