1 comment

LGBTQ+ Romance Lesbian

Cora stares at herself in the mirror, taking a deep breath. In the past, it was her parents who did all the baking during the annual holiday festival in their little town, but this year they'd returned to Mexico to visit her Abuela. That meant she was left on cookie duty. And it was a lot. She had to make enough cookies for everyone who attended, which was usually anywhere between 100 or 200 people. And then, on top of that, her cookies have to be better than whatever the bakery next store makes.

Ever since that bakery popped up next to theirs, when Cora was only 7, there had been this stupid rivalry between the two, both fighting for more customers. It had always caused her parents an unnecessary amount of stress, but when she was young it was fun to watch her parents crush the neighbors every year. Now, her parent's expectations weighed her down a bit. Sure, it's a small thing to stress about, but the Holiday Fest was what their bakery was known for, and she doesn't want to ruin their reputation.

Cora finally works up the nerve to make her way downstairs after tying up her long black hair and takes inventory of all of the ingredients. An unruly amount of flour, check. Pounds and pounds of chocolate chips, check. Sugar, check.

For the next few hours, Cora bakes and bakes and bakes, using her Abuela's recipe. It's one of a kind, and guaranteed to rock someone's socks off, at least if made right. The first batch comes out burnt, the second overly chewy, and the third spread way too much. By now, Cora's tired and stressed, and just as she sits down at one of the tables, head in her arms, she hears someone knock on the glass door.

She bolts upright, staring at the glass doors, about to yell "go away, we're closed!", but she stops short. Outside is the neighboring baker's daughter, all long limbs and warm skin and kind eyes.

Cora stops short, able to do nothing but stare, until the girl - Theodora, she thinks her name is - gives her a weird look and hesitantly knocks again. Finally, Cora shoots up and walks over, unlocking the door.

"Um, hi. Theodora, is it?"

"Theo is fine. Sorry for barging in, but I was just passing by and you looked stressed," Theo says, and Cora notices her wringing her hands. She's in nice jeans and a chunky cropped sweater, curly hair tied back in an elegant bun. Suddenly, Cora feels very self-conscious, in her flour-covered apron and raggedy sweatpants.

"Yeah, heh," says Cora awkwardly. Her heart won't seem to calm down. "My parents have been super busy, so they're trusting me to make all the cookies. I'm trying to use my Abuela's recipe but none of them are coming out right, nothing like I remember from when I was a kid."

They both stand there awkwardly for a moment, then Theo says, "I mean, I could help if you want. I don't have anything better to do."

"Really? I feel like I should remind you that our parents probably hate each other."

"So," she says with a laugh, "It's stupid anyway. Do you want help or not."

"Fine," says Cora, like she's annoyed. She's not.


For the next few days, Theo comes over to the bakery to help, and Cora would be lying if she said she didn't enjoy the company. They don't have much in common, but they get along surprisingly well. Cora spends her time in her bedroom reading, or watching Netflix, or listening to music. Theo spends her time at parties and doing insane things, like cliff diving. Yeah, she actually did that. For fun. The more Cora get´'s to know of Theo, the more question she has.

Not only have they developed a tentative friendship, but they've perfected the cookies (after a dozen ruined batches).

"These are the best cookies I've ever had!" said Theo excitedly when they finally perfected the recipe. She'd smudged a little bit of chocolate on the corner of her mouth and, without thinking, Cora leaned in and wiped it away with the pad of her thumb. She leaned back, feeling all the blood rush to her face.

"God, sorry. There was chocolate on you- I was just-"

"Calm down, C. It's fine," Theo says with a giggle, though her cheeks were pink.

After some quiet conversation and large-cookie-consumptions, they had decided to make a new batch the day before the festival, Theo went back home.

That night, while tossing and turning in bed, Cora couldn't turn her brain off. The look in Theo's eyes when she touched her mouth was not something she could soon forget. Her brown eyes were wide, and there were a dozen emotions flashing rapidly behind them.


Finally, on December 24th, Cora got up early and got to work. She needed to make 300 cookies, ensuring there would be enough for everyone, plus some. To her disappointment, Theo's parents looped her into helping them prepare for the upcoming day, so she couldn't help. Really, Cora didn't need help, she just wanted to see her friend again. Alas, she'd survive.

After a long and successful day of baking, she was finished, and her cookies were good enough for her. The kitchen still smaller like butter and chocolate when she finished cleaning, and she returned to her bed to sleep. Her parents would be returning from their trip tomorrow, and she was thankful. The shop had been closed all week, so she at least didn't have to deal with that, but she was exhausted nonetheless. Her parents can take the lead tomorrow. She fell asleep, sprawled on top of her sheets, still fully clothed and covered in flour and sugar.

When she woke, it was to a familiar, warm voice in her doorway.

"Mamá!" She sprung out of bed, embracing her mother. It'd only been a week, but she'd never liked being separated from her mother for long.

"Hello, mi amor," says her mother, patting down her hair. Then she holds Cora at arm's length. "You're a mess! Come, open your presents and then take a shower."

She follows her mother to the bakery, then takes in the tree that hadn't been there yesterday. Underneath was a few boxes, and Cora grinned. She kissed her father on the cheek while passing him, then plants herself under the tree and opens her presents, yelling 'thank you' for every one of them. She may be 24, but presents never get old. The best was, by far, a new laptop, which made Cora fling herself across the room and embrace her parents.

That morning, Cora showed after her mother bugged her about it, and through the day she helped her parents to prepare different treats, like scones and little cakes, and when the time came they set out all of the cookies. Cora stood proudly, surveying the cookie trays lining the counters.

Before the festival started, Cora threw on some black leggings, a simple red tank top, and a thick cardigan, leaving her hair down. As soon as she was done, she heard a knock come from the bakery, and then her mother calling her name. Once downstairs, she saw Theo standing there.

"Oh, hey," she said grinning.

"Hey," replied Theo, sheepish smile on her face.

"Who's this?" asked her mother.

"Oh! Mamá, this is my friend, Theodora. She's the Miller's daughter."

"Like, the neighbors?"

"Yes, mother. This whole competition thing is stupid anyway. Can we just go to my room?"

She waits a moment, thinking, then says, "Fine, but remember, door open."

Theo shoots her a weird look, and Cora winces. "I know, mother."

They situate themselves on Cora's bed, and finally, Theo asks, "What's with you keeping your door open?"

"Oh, er. I'm bi, so I have to keep my door open, no matter whos over." What a way to come out to someone you've known for a week.

Her eyes widen, and Cora winces. "Look, if you don't wanna be friends anymore, I get it-"

"No! No, gosh, sorry. I don't have an issue with it, I'm just surprised. I honestly thought I was the only not-strait person in this town," she says with a giggle, and Cora's heart stops. In that moment, Cora's able to admit something to herself. She likes Theo. Like, like-likes. Goodness, she feels like a teenager again.

Her mouth seems to move faster than her brain, and she asks, "Can I kiss you?"

Theo looks shocked, but she just nods, and Cora leans in. Their lips are a breath apart, and Cora is about to close the distance when-

"Cora!" calls her father. "I need help."

"Shoot!" comes from Cora, and Theo just laughs.

"Continue this another day? I need to be back home soon anyway."

Cora nods solemnly, and Theo grins in return.


There are still a few cookies leftover, but Cora and her family are stuffed. Everyone who had one through the night has given great feedback, and she would be lying if she said she wasn't proud of herself for pulling it off.

In the end, the shops had everyone fill out forms, voting for their favorite cookie. Her parents counted votes, and they celebrated with a bit of sparkling grape juice (classy, right?) when Cora's cookies won by a milestone.

She's about to go change when she gets a notification on her phone and looks down

Theodora: meet me outside your shop in 10?

Cora: sure but why?

Theodora: you'll see

Cora's heart is racing. Maybe she will get a goodnight kiss. She out in five, after grabbing her wallet and explaining to her parents where she's going.

"I'll be back before midnight. Love you!"

Theo's already waiting for her, in a heavy winter coat, and she looks beautiful. The Christmas lights lining the streets reflect off her skin in interesting ways, and it makes her look angelic.

They start walking in no particular direction, a comfortable silence surrounding them, and then she feels Theo's hand brush hers. Getting the hint she holds hers out, and they clasp hands gently. Once they've walked for a while, Theo pauses and turns to Cora.

"I like you, Cora Cortez."

Cora's heart is going 100 miles per hour. "I like you too, Theodora Miller."

Then, gently, Theodora leans in, and their lips brush, and it's sweet and warm and tastes like vanilla chapstick. They pull back and continue on, hands still clasped, shooting each other triumphant little smiles, all the way back home.

December 05, 2020 01:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lia Nina
15:01 Jan 07, 2021

this was such a cute story! and I love cookies

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.