Contest #252 shortlist ⭐️

43 comments

Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger warning: contains themes of alcoholism/addiction.


It’s following me again. I walk from the kitchen to the living room and hide. Jaded doesn’t even begin to describe it. I hate the world and the idea of the world. I loathe people and places and work and free time. I can’t stand Netflix bingeing or walking in the park. I don’t enjoy eating, not even Mexican food, which used to be the end of all things. As Rob Thomas would say, “My reason for reason.” No, I have one obsession. It’s with me when I wake up and carries my carcass through the day. It laughs at me in a cajoling way, sweet-talks me until I can’t feign resistance. It consumes my every thought, whim, desire, and impulse.

It wants me.

I throw the empty beer bottle across the room and watch it smash into fragmented pieces, akin to how I feel, broken and scattered. I have lost everything to this madness. My wife, our dogs, our beautiful house that perched on the hill, perfect in its sturdy position before the slant, the slide into nothingness. I rue how I lost that six-figure paying job, the one that ate up my soul but afforded me luxuries. The luxury of not having to cut my grass, wash my car, or even clean the inside of my toilets, that ability to slight some stranger into doing the filthy, tedious work. It’s okay to slight people if your aim is for their betterment.

You probably think I’m narcissistic and self-centered. Maybe I am. Spoiled, at the very minimum. I went to the best Ivy League school. I mean the very best, the one that you want your kids to attend. I had every advantage known to humankind, the crème de la crème of clothes, trips, cars, nannies, tutors, and personal trainers. You envy me when we pass each other, when you longingly follow me with your eyes into that fancy restaurant, the one that doesn’t fit into your meager budget. I give you a deferential look, the one that hollows you out with an unspoken sadness. What you don’t know is that I’ve already been hollowed out, worn, abused, stifled, emptied to the point that I rely on this false projection. The snobbery is a crutch.

I can laugh loudly with a hugeness that is commanding. I laughed at Sophie when she had endured her limit. I don’t know why she was surprised. I told her from the beginning that I would choose the beer over her. It might be a reflexive choice, but a choice nonetheless. How much more brutally honest could I have been, really? I hear she’s re-married with twins. Twins! Talk about wanting to suffer. She’s the hypocrite, shunning her maternal instincts when we were together only to do an about face and have multiples. I think that’s what they call twins. Heard she dived headfirst into that IVF game. What a farce, and she’s going to call me out when I was upfront and transparent.

“Be careful what you wish for, Sophie. Be very careful.”

I don’t drink that cheap lite beer. No, I go for the gusto, the dark, heavy stuff - the craft, specialty brews that are a balm to the hollowness. The first sip of the day, whether it comes at 9 am or 9 pm, has the soothing effect of entering heaven, a familiarity of lost love, the embrace of everything you have ever wanted. It’s a taste, but reminiscent of a scent, something that you want to get all up in with a revelry. I swish it around in my mouth and it takes its hold. Remember that saying, “First a man takes a drink; then the drink takes a drink; then the drink takes a man.” Brilliant. I could be friends with the guy clever enough to write that succinct phrase. Thanks, Hemingway, or was it Fitzgerald? Who knows? But I could drink with the best or worst of them.

So, you ask, “What is it that I want?”

I go to grab another beer out of my stainless-steel refrigerator, the one that set me back fifteen grand, the same one where every shelf holds a stock of nothing but rows of carefully lined beer bottles and a tomato. Now that I think about it, I don’t know that you’re supposed to refrigerate tomatoes. It’s probably gone bad like everything else in this twisted, sordid, messed-up version of a life. To answer your question, what I want is to feel whole. I can handle a squishy, mushy sense of wholeness like the rotting tomato. I just don’t want to bleed out everywhere, every day for the remainder of what is left.

Walking back to the living room, I try to sidestep and then hop over the glass shards, my anger that is resplendent on the floor. In doing so, I lose my balance, my foot catching the slippery pieces that send me into a sudden freefall. I land with a harsh thud, a searing pain that portends a bruised tailbone. My single thought is a gratefulness that I didn’t drop my beer, and I take a long, hard drink, feeling the liquid numb my existence. It’s dulling and life-giving. I sink into its stealthy grip.

I want to do the right thing. I want to be better than this moment and all the ones that preceded it. I wanted to choose Sophie, but I still don’t know how. I lose my balance because I can’t feel my feet. It’s not just my spirit that is voided; the nerve endings are dead. The alcohol has stripped me of dexterity. I step gingerly through hallways and memories because I have no sense of connection. I am gone.

It wants me.

It owns me.

Don’t do that pitiful gaze. I’ve brought myself to this state. I can manage the rest of the way. Not that you were thinking of helping me. I see you look away with disgust for all the things I wasted. I finish the beer in my hand, wondering if this will be my last drink, like the one that almost was the final toast, the one that precipitated the stroke I had three months ago. The more likely question is will this be the last drink for today?

I look inward by closing my eyes, on the verge of blackout, sorrowful and contrite. Darkness is my faulty reprieve. A tear slides to nowhere on my cheek. It is the only thing I feel.

May 26, 2024 15:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

43 comments

12:51 Jun 01, 2024

Recently had to cut ties with someone from high school for this exact reason so it definitely has the ring of authenticity for me. The part where you say, “you look at me with disgust for all the things I’ve wasted” I felt that but for me it’s more all the potential that person has wasted. Great read concerning a sensitive topic.

Reply

Harland Chambers
01:22 Jun 02, 2024

I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s struggles. I do think this is an addiction that is so mainstream that it goes unseen. It is rewarding as a writer to connect with people. Thank you, Stephanie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:48 Jun 01, 2024

Reminds me of a poem on the box which held a pewter beer mug. "Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink, for fellows whom it hurts to think. Stare into the pewter pot to see the world as the world is not." When escapism becomes an addiction. Very fitting story to this prompt. You have epitomized the descent of an alcoholic. Thanks for reading a story of mine.

Reply

Harland Chambers
01:19 Jun 02, 2024

Always appreciate your sentiments, Kaitlyn. Thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:56 May 28, 2024

Biting hopes on bitter hops. Congrats on the shortlist!🥳

Reply

Harland Chambers
14:09 May 28, 2024

You are funny with your quips! Thanks for reading, Mary!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:22 May 30, 2024

And thanks for liking my 'Not Another One'. And for 'Follow Me'. And 'Secrets That We Keep'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:42 May 26, 2024

I step gingerly through hallways and memories. Wow! Harland, you just went from very good to great. From better to best. Can't wait to read your next entry. This whole tirade of self-loathing flowed smoothly, like pouring beer from a pitcher.

Reply

Harland Chambers
01:24 May 27, 2024

That’s the nicest feedback I’ve received, Trudy. It’s a weighty topic, but enjoyed writing this piece. You’ve made my day – my week actually – with these very kind words. Thank you, thank you, and thank you!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
14:04 Jun 16, 2024

Congratulations. Very powerful, nightmarishly melancholy study — a reminder that alcoholism or really any addiction strikes across the socioeconomic spectrum. Had a friend, younger than me, who was brilliant, funny, acute, but who destroyed his existence through alcohol and the wreckless arrogance it generated in him. This, especially: “I go to grab another beer out of my stainless-steel refrigerator, the one that set me back fifteen grand, the same one where every shelf holds a stock of nothing but rows of carefully lined beer bottles and...

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:51 Jun 10, 2024

I went through a phase drinking large quantities of Guinness because for some reason at the time I thought it was "healthier so I totally relate to his fondness for dark cloudy brews and the pointlessness of addiction. I'd like to read more of this character's drinking stories and hear about his bad decisions and unique embarrassing moments. Nice writing and congrats on the shortlist!

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:51 Jun 10, 2024

I went through a phase drinking large quantities of Guinness because for some reason at the time I thought it was "healthier so I totally relate to his fondness for dark cloudy brews and the pointlessness of addiction. I'd like to read more of this character's drinking stories and hear about his bad decisions and unique embarrassing moments. Nice writing and congrats on the shortlist!

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Marx
01:53 Jun 08, 2024

Dang, this was like Dostoevsky's, Notes from Underground; pretty impressive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John McPhee
20:09 Jun 07, 2024

Wow Harland - a very well done, authentic piece of writing. I've known some who would think this story is about them. You created a literary photograph of an all too often seen portrait.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
19:01 Jun 07, 2024

Congrats for shortlisted. You deserved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
15:34 Jun 07, 2024

Congratulation, Harland.

Reply

Harland Chambers
16:04 Jun 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Trudy!! Completely excited and appreciative of everyone who read the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KC Tillman
14:36 Jun 07, 2024

I very much enjoyed your flow with this story!

Reply

Harland Chambers
17:29 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks, KC! Appreciate you reading and commenting!

Reply

KC Tillman
10:21 Jun 12, 2024

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sally Gee
22:08 Jun 06, 2024

I love this . The extended metaphor of alcohol/sadness that follows the character . The tomato in the fridge and his life . Fantastic read

Reply

Harland Chambers
17:34 Jun 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Sally! The tomato is probably my favorite part of the story -- It's nice that you noticed and appreciated the correlation!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Grace
14:01 Jun 05, 2024

I’m amazed that you’ve only posted two entries and have the skill to catch the attention of many readers (and writers!). I can relate to this story and the dysfunction alcohol can bring in someone’s life. Good work! I feel like I can learn a lot from your skill and would appreciate if you tore my entries apart so I could be just as good as you! :)

Reply

Harland Chambers
17:01 Jun 06, 2024

Thank you, Emily, for these very kind words. I must admit that I am humbled by the reception that my stories have received. It feels good, knowing that people are connecting with my storylines. I would be honored to take a look at your work and provide feedback -- give me to this weekend, and I'll provide my thoughts/suggestions. Thank you again! :)

Reply

Emily Grace
14:06 Jun 07, 2024

❤️❤️❤️ Ok, thank you, and, of course, no problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
13:26 Jun 05, 2024

Great writing and an apt description of the alcoholic's conundrum. It sums up the self-destructive behavior and internal conflict one would feel in the throes of that addiction. He doesn't want to drink, but he must. It is often a slow moving, gradual process that leads the uninformed to blame it on lifestyle, or circumstances, when it is really an internal predisposition. That does not make this story inaccurate. Quite the opposite, it makes this story very realistic.

Reply

Harland Chambers
17:03 Jun 06, 2024

Thank you, Ken, for your thoughtful feedback. Alcoholism is a true spiral. I've been witness to it many forms, and just wanted to highlight the despair and internal strife felt by those in its throes. Appreciate you taking the time to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kael Mans
22:14 Jun 03, 2024

Your descriptions are so poetic. Do you also write poetry?

Reply

Harland Chambers
01:51 Jun 04, 2024

That’s nice of you to say, Kael - thank you. I do write some poetry too. I especially enjoy reading T.S. Eliot’s work. You can’t beat The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
18:24 Jun 03, 2024

And now we are being told that any amount of alcohol is not good for us. We keep ratcheting up our expectations for everything, we're not healthy enough, not working hard enough, do this, do that. Until escape is the only option? A good read that touches on an important theme: alienation and escape. Thanks.

Reply

Harland Chambers
01:52 Jun 04, 2024

Thanks, Joe, for your insights and for reading my story. It is very much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Devon Cano
21:28 Jun 02, 2024

Stories about addiction are always so hard to read, but this one was very well done. After all the bitterness, the admission that he wants to do the right thing but feels like he can't is heartbreaking. Great job!

Reply

Harland Chambers
14:19 Jun 03, 2024

Thanks so much for reading and for the very kind words, Devon. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
17:05 Jun 02, 2024

Whew. You took me right there, stinking of alcohol, nerves jangling, facing the abyss. I loved the story, Harland!

Reply

Harland Chambers
14:20 Jun 03, 2024

Thanks, Daryl! Really appreciate your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:32 Jun 02, 2024

Pure excellence.

Reply

Harland Chambers
01:23 Jun 02, 2024

You leave me humbled, Carol. Truly…thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.