The Great Transformation

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

2 comments

General

I never thought I would see the day. Really, I never did. And yet here I am, and everything has changed. I can’t believe it.

One thing that both my mother and father emphasized to my sisters and I is that, it is important that we be proud of who we are. Always keep your history, always keep your memories. History can be repeated if we forget about it and memories are things we can learn from. It was always inspiring to remember the great accomplishments of my relatives; that is until now.

My transformation has just occurred, and confusion reigns. Seriously, I can’t even look in the mirror and avoid one question: who am I?

Up until now I had trusted you and I am going to continue to trust you yet, I am confused. No, I’m disillusioned, crushed, lost, defeated, what am I to do?! What is the answer?!

But, you are my leader. You have never steered me wrong before, so why would you do that now? I am anxiously awaiting the day when you will reveal to me and my people, who we are. 

Some might say that we are not to follow your advice, they have labeled you as oblivious, old-fashioned, and out of touch. Don’t listen to them! You would not be who you are without knowing everything about my people. It is impossible to be where you are, without knowing us well. You are someone who was just like us once, after all.

In spite of the confusion, the haze that is my transformation, I must continue on with my life. Yes, I would love to wallow and rest in depression. I don’t want to have carry on, at least not right now. But I know I have to. That is how an adult goes about their life. Sure, children, teens can relax, can “check out” of reality for a while. But not me, I have to continue. I yearn for your guidance.

If I cannot turn to my family history to inspire me in these difficult times, I would love to turn my music and literature to inspire me but alas, as per your guidance, I now have to give these things up. What am I to do?! Music motivates me. Reading about those who have overcome in the past inspires me yet, now I must move away from these things. What is a man to do?

I am going into work today, trying to continue on like I used to. Will things be different since the transformation has occurred? Will I be treated the same way, or will society go the way of progress?

There is no doubt that I will see others who are still holding onto the old ways and identities. Why they are doing this, I have no idea. Do they not see your guidance and its beauty? Do they not know of you? How this can be, I cannot fathom.

It’s time to go into work. Hear my prayer and let this be a good day.


My shift is over, and I can relax yet, for some reason, everyone carried on like it was just another day. Those who are normally rude and condescending to me, did just that. Those who treat me with contempt, treated me with contempt. And those who are kind to me, stayed kind to me. For a time, I doubted that the transformation had truly occurred, that you meant what you said. But I thought about it and realized that, of course you meant what you said. The doubt has left my mind.

Some of my co-workers and customers had the audacity to insult you and your words regarding the transformation of my people and me! They do not understand who you are! How can they do this?! How?!!!

Are they truly that blind, that ignorant? You’ve got to do something, show them your ways! Get out there, in their faces, leave no doubt in their minds! You mean what you say, and you always have, since the time that America was founded! Let them see this, clearly, as only you can do!

I now have returned home and must rest, in order to get ready for a new day of work tomorrow. The negative comments of the great transformation still ring in my ears. I’m so offended by their comments that, I don’t even want to turn on the TV or use the internet. Solitude and silence are the only things that can calm my emotions. I must have those, in order to carry on. In order to stay sane.

No one said the great transformation would be easy yet because you have initiated it, I must accept it. As a matter of fact, you never said it would be easy as I could tell by your tone. You took a serious matter and tried to make light of it, to joke, in order to inspire us in the great transformation. Yet, here I am discouraged…In spite of my emotional state, thank you for trying.

I’ve got to do my part and tell others of the great transformation. Yes, maybe it’s not as obvious as I had thought. I will do whatever I can, to get the word out. Do not worry, I will help you, starting tomorrow!

There are some who might doubt that the great transformation has really occurred so, I will have to explain it to them plainly. How will I do that? By not holding anything back.

It all started when I began doubting our politicians, I wanted a new political party. I looked into the libertarian party and soon realized that, they were not entirely wrong. While I do not agree with everything that they do, there is also a lot that I do agree with. These people want the Constitution maintained after all, they want to preserve our rights and our freedoms; that is something that I agree with. This is when the great transformation began.

While I never became a libertarian, I still remained a loyal democrat. I may lean libertarian yet, I would never vote for one. 

My family and I, naturally, began talking about politics. Some of them joined my side while others, either politely disagreed with me or strongly disagreed and maintained their previous standings. I am glad that I had the chance to talk with them about this, however. 

And then, just like that, the great transformation occurred. I, a loyal democrat who was hesitating to vote democrat due to the influences of the libertarians, was informed by the democrats’ prophet Joe Biden that I am in fact, not black. Or more accurately, “you ain’t black!” Just because I have been hesitating to vote for Mr. Biden.

Oh great Democratic party, I am unsure as to why you declared me, a man who was born black, to no longer be black. Please guide me and those like me who have just transitioned. Please show us who we are, what we are, and what we are to do. And give us a new hope for our future, seeing as this could be anything from here on! In the name of party loyalty, I pray, amen.


May 24, 2020 09:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Vivek Sehgal
04:58 Jun 04, 2020

Brave attempt😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
L. M.
02:18 Jun 06, 2020

Wow, what thought-provoking words. Nice read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.