0 comments

Romance

"Hey Cath, are you going in your date after work?" The young woman said to me, while I was typing in my computer.

I nodded but I felt induced to say, "Yes".

"So what's your type? I know, it's the sports type. Since you are a baseball fanatic."

I closed the search tabs, filled with late baseball players, and continued the report I had to finish today.

"Just asking," she murmured and got back at work. "Is someone from work?"

"I didn't know my personal life was that interesting," I said. "But as adults those things shouldn't be remarkable."

I stared the screen for a while, hoping she could get the hint and leave me alone.

"Listen up everybody," a black-haired man boasted. "Don't forget tomorrow is an very important day since with are going to present our project the executives. Hopefully, our hard work will pay off. So have a good rest and tell youselves you did a good job, but don't get too relaxed.

"Everyone cheered up, "That's our Manager Manol."

"Don't you think, manager look handsome today?" My co-workers said.

"How is possible such a good man is still single?" Another woman told her.

Am I right, Ashley?"

From a survey we did among colleagues, everyone think he is someone with an admirable spirit of brotherhood. Before taking care of himself, he rendered generous assistance to the his colleagues afflicted by the tiresome work and did not allow himself to relax until after their effort had been payed off. In that list they didn't include me.

"That's right Margot. Always so supportive and his suit... is just in my way..."

I finished my report by the time I was leaving I heard them talk behind my back, making fun of me. And by who? Two unhappy wench who brag about their adultery.

I was surprised at the fact our thoughts on the same topic were different.

I reminded the time when we were both rookies. Also I remember that, when he was promoted as a project manager he started to avoid me.

My shift ended smoothly, aside from the printer.

"Blood-sucking machines!"

I was standing outside my house waiting for 8 o'clock to come.

The streets were busy as ever and it was getting dark too. I couldn't help, but to feel wary.

When I checked my watch again; it was past 20 and I was still waiting. The person I had to met wasn't showing himself around.

I was about to leave when I saw his car approching. A white BMW with a wide scratch on the back. The unbearable noise of the car's engine disturbed the silence of the evening.

I felt mad at that time, but relieved, too.

"So, you're ready. Let's go!" He made a hand gesture for me to get in the car.

"What's with that attitude?" I thought.

I couldn't help, but have a bad feeling.

The restaurant, Harry's, he took me was the one where I used to do part-time jobs. It is in the front of Capital Park. This restaurant is well-known that its clients are from all the status. The rich aromas hit my face and the happy faces made you envious.

When we sat down, my companion said, "I can buy whatever we want. See, I have a very decent job."

The waiter greeted us and asked for our orders.

"Nothing interesting," he scroffed after reviewing the menu

"Just like you," I thought.

"I guess we will order two specials," he ended. "Better to be more special than your service."

A while from our staying, he criticized the food, the cook and the service. He threated the waiter and demanded to call the manager, too.

"I had enough," I stood up and left the table.

There were plenty of people seeing us, observing, making fun of me. Some young girls looked me with sad eyes. Someone with pity. Without thinking it twice I left the restaurant.

My companion started following me and grab my hand.

"Where are you going," he screamed behind me. "You should be grateful that I offered you a luxurious ministration."

"Go choke on a rotten cookie," I said. He tightened his grib, when suddenly someone's hand grabbed his.

"How about you let the lady alone," the man, caring enough to stop by, was our Manager Manol in flesh amd bones.

"Mind your business," the man told him.

"That's what I am doing," Manol replied. "Mrs. Ehsan is very important for our group. If she left, I would miss her."

"Shit! Date me, when you already have a boyfriend! You little bit..." saying that, Manol punched him in the face. I realised my hand and kicked the rude man in the back of his knee. He fell into a pond, created by recent rainfall. Richard let a weak growling out and struggled to move.

Manol pushed us to leave, heading in the park's direction.

"I can't belive you did that," I said.

"Neither I," he answered and we went on until we reached a bench in Capital Park. The birds flew away from where we sat down. It's a shame since sparrows are my favourite kind of birds because they never leave their home in winter. Someone have to guard their home. Surprisingly, sparrows weren't the only ones. There were other people hanging around in the park, mostly young couples.

"Bad date?" He asked.

"The worst," I commented. "And I am not exaggerating. I am overacting. Am I overacting? I don't know."

"Deep breath and relax your muscles," he instructed.

"I won't date ever again. I will find my love in a retirement home. But I won't have kids to visit me. I will die alone."

"You're not going do live or die alone."

"Then, what?"

"Then, nothing. Let's sit here for a while."

Breif silence for a short time, before I asked, "Back there, did you mean it?"

"What?"

"When you said you would miss me if I left the project group."

"Well, yes!" He answered. "You're have a strong will power and you are diligent. You are honest about your flaws, which is not like me. I need to conceal mine!"

"Really," I asked. "What kind of flaws?"

"Can I trust you?"

"Yes, but if you don't want to risk, it's fine..."

"I am vulnerable whenever I am near you. Sometimes I cannot focus. Sometimes I remember the times, when we both were rookies..."

"I wanted us to be friends, but when you were titled as the project manager, you started to avoid me and I decided to give you space."

"I am sorry about that, but I didn't find the courage to face you at all."

"How is that so?"

He made to promise him that I won't laugh. Manol took a deep breath and said, "I thought Ernest was your love interest, but when I discovered he was a writer, I felt so embarrassed I could die."

"Haven't you read any of his books?" I was shoked. "Even my niece know him."

The grown man in front of me hid his face from me telling how embarrassed he was. I don't understand

"I feel better after talking with you," he said to me. "Catherine, shall we drink together sometimes?"

"Shhht," I put my index finger on his lips. "Don't say another word.

I closed my eyes and pictured us together. I couldn't.

"Sure."

"Really! I am grateful."

We stayed there for a while, in each other embrace. I swear that for a second I thought I was hearing bells tolling. No, it was to late.

September 03, 2019 17:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.