0 comments

Holiday

Rebecca's Resolution

By: Roman G. Howell


Twenty-two more minutes.

Only twenty-two more minutes left in the year and his father couldn’t be there for them. Jacob slumped in his chair, rolling his empty champagne flute glass between his fingers. The still unopened champagne bottle waited on the coffee table. The night had started with such promise. His father had made an extra effort to have all of his year-end responsibilities for the company tied up so the two could do the countdown together. However, like every other holiday, something came out of nowhere. Some big emergency that absolutely required the attention of the always working Mr. Harper and could not wait twenty-two more minutes.

It was at times like these that Jacob often donned his jacket and took to the city. A freeing trek across Times Square always made him feel better. Unfortunately, this time, his father had ordered his personal assistant Rebecca to stay by his side until he returned. The woman sat professionally in the armchair next to him. She was a perfect statue with an almost bored stare pointed at the live broadcast of the huge celebration being held under the giant glass ball. The voice of whoever was hosting the New Year’s Rockin’ Eve party this year echoed across the gigantic living room, reminding Jacob just how empty this penthouse was.

“You don’t have to watch me, Rebecca.”

Her half-lidded gaze remained on the screen as she said, “Your father asked me to stay.”

He crossed his arms, “Why? I’m not a little kid.”

“It may have something to do with you running away last week only to be brought home by a complete stranger,” she said in a tone that suggested her theory was more of a fact than a guess.

“Hey, that Santa was a very kind man.” That Christmas adventure had cost Jacob a lot of his already restricted freedom. His father had made him sit in his office every day so he could ‘keep him safe’ while he worked. Jacob couldn’t stand to be in there for more than five minutes. “Besides, it’s not like I’m planning to jump into the elevator as soon as your back is turned.”

Rebecca didn’t respond. She only shifted ever so slightly to face him. 

“Okay, maybe I was.”

She muted the TV. “I understand you want to spend time with your father, Jacob, but this is not the way to get his attention. He tried his best to be here tonight. He’s just a very important man.”

“And I’m not important?”

“He loves you.”

Jacob bit back his next words. He knew what Rebecca said was true. Despite how little time he and his father spent together, those few moments were always filled with a kind and gentle warmth that could only be love. Was it selfish to want those days to last longer? Should he give his father a break? These were the kind of questions that he could stop thinking about when he was on the streets. Again, he had the urge to disappear into the night. Maybe he could join the crowd at the New Year’s Rockin’ Eve party. 

They’d love to have him there. 

They wouldn’t have to leave at the last minute. 

They’d actually have time to spend with their family. 

Family…

“Rebecca… why are you here?”

For the first time in their conversation, her bored, inexpressive face cracked. It was a simple eyebrow raise, but it was something. “Your father asked me to watch you.”

“No, I know that, what I mean is...” He stood up and observed her as if for the first time. “Why are you here? It’s New Year’s Eve and you’re here. In fact, you were here for Christmas, too. Doesn’t my father give you days off?”

The stray eyebrow returned to its previously straight form, “Of course he does, Jacob.”

“So?” he pressed. “Why are you spending the Holidays with us? Why are you sitting here with me on New Year’s?”

The question went unanswered for what felt like a full minute before she picked up the remote and opened the TV settings, “Perhaps a video game could help take your mind off things.” 

Jacob was struck. His father’s assistant had always spoken in a calm, formal manner with direct, straight to the point answers. Even the prospect of telling her boss that he was wrong didn’t frighten her. It was the main reason she was hired. She had never, as long as he could remember, avoided any topic. He was almost afraid to ask but his curiosity was burning.

“Rebecca, why aren’t you with your family?”

The TV turned off. Rebecca put the remote down and excused herself from the room. The boy was left in the empty silence. The unguarded route to the elevator waited for him to slip through. New York City down below shined with promises of excitement. However, the drive to go was long gone. Instead, Jacob felt a crushing need to follow Rebecca. 

He found her at her desk, of all places, typing away at the computer. The click-clacking of the keyboard filled Jacob with guilt. Clearly, he had overstepped his bounds and touched on something sensitive.

“I’m sorry, Rebecca. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“Your father loves you very much, Jacob.” Her fingers never stopped moving. “I haven’t seen such love and dedication to both work and family. Not many can manage that. To achieve such a career, most would have to… lose touch with what family they have, if any. Not your father, though. He makes an effort to be there for you.”

“Well, I think you might be giving him a little too much credit.”

“He’s not the first millionaire CEO I’ve worked for. But he is the first one to let a crowd of people he never met into his house, including a street Santa, so his son wouldn’t have a lonely Christmas.”

Jacob’s eyes widened as he recalled the wonderful Christmas he celebrated with his classmates only a couple of days ago. Not only did most of them bring their parents but there were a few guests nobody knew. Perfect strangers welcomed like long lost relatives. True, Rebecca was the one who called them over but it was his father who allowed them to stay. After thinking his son was kidnapped, he could have easily felt justified in not letting any of them in and yet he had… for him. Jacob could see why his father relied so heavily on Rebecca’s blunt nature. Her words seemed to bring to light what mattered most. Still, he could’ve sworn he had heard a stumble in her usually calm voice.

“Is that what happened? Did you… ‘lose touch’ with your family?”

She stopped typing. Her scrutinizing look locked on whatever she had been writing.

“Sorry!” backpedaled Jacob. “I just said I shouldn’t have asked and I did anyway. That was wrong. I’ll go to my room and leave you alone.” The ashamed boy bolted for the door. His legs only stopped when his ears caught a whisper.

“If I wanted to be with them... I would.” He turned to find Rebecca looking up at him from her desk. Her stare had softened. “I choose to be here.” This threw Jacob for a loop. He was no stranger to the concept of a family member leaving to take care of work, but his father wanted to be near him. He was forced by his job to leave. Someone choosing work over family was… unthinkable.  As if she could read his thoughts, Rebecca heaved her weary shoulders and explained, “As one gets older, Jacob, one gathers regrets. One makes life decisions they wish they hadn’t. Most of all, though, one can come to feel embarrassed by their job.”

“Embarrassed?” Jacob couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “You work for one of the biggest trading companies in New York. You’re Frank Harper’s personal assistant!”

“That is not what I set out to become.” She stood and marched back towards the living room, “It doesn’t matter. Your father asked me to watch you until he returned and that’s what I must do.” She held open the door and looked expectantly at Jacob. The boy slowly obeyed the unspoken order.

As he took his original seat before the champagne bottle, he considered the woman with newfound interest. There wasn’t a day Rebecca wasn’t by either his or his father’s side. No woman worked harder and yet she was embarrassed by her work. Jacob didn’t really know what he wanted to do with his life. Still, whatever he became, he imagined his father would make his opinion very well known. Jacob didn’t want to disappoint him. And with that thought, Jacob believed he understood. Not entirely. Just enough to grasp the reason behind Rebecca’s actions.

He grabbed the bottle and the flute glasses and handed her the one meant for his father. “If you really want to leave, Rebecca, father won’t stop you. New Year’s is about making resolutions. Goals to make this year and your life better. And if that means working somewhere else, then… I’ll miss you.” Jacob didn’t really know where he was going with this. The words seemed to be pouring out on their own at this point. Sounded right, though. “But if you’re happy here, then I think that’s all that matters and your family should respect that.”

He held his face in a resolutely determined fashion as Rebecca stared down at him. The moment was definitely awkward, however, he needed to let her know she had a choice in this. She wasn’t by any means trapped. Finally, he could’ve sworn he spotted the faintest hint of a smile. “Well,” she said, “it seems I’ll have to inform your father of his mistake.”

Jacob blinked.

“His son is certainly not a kid.”

A half-laugh burst from Jacob before pops and blasts of fireworks erupted in the distant sky, signaling the beginning of the final countdown, the end of the old and the start of the new. He opened the bottle and filled each of their glasses. They both held them up in a toast. 

“My New Year’s resolution is to not run away as much,” Jacob said.

“As much?” She quirked an eyebrow.

“Um, uh… You know what I mean.”

They clinked glasses.

“Happy New Year’s, Rebecca.”

“Happy New Year’s, Jacob.”

They both turned their attention to the window. The giant digital timer shined like a beacon amongst the starry skyscrapers. A little over a minute of the year remained.

Then there was a rumble.

Rebecca pulled out her phone and Jacob recognized his father’s face on the screen. She quickly excused herself to the dining room. Once again, Jacob found himself drawn to follow her.

“Everything is fine here, sir,” he heard her say. “Yes… yes, of course, I’ll take care of that… He’s right here, did you want to wish him a happy—Of course, Mr. Harper,” she solemnly answered.

Jacob got the gist of what his father had said. Something along the lines of the meeting was dragging on longer than expected. There’ll probably be another emergency meeting after lunch tomorrow. Can’t talk long, I’ll text Jacob a Happy New Year’s at midnight. Make sure he goes to bed at a decent time. Same old, same old. Lather, rinse, repeat.

“Sir?” 

Jacob stiffened. In that single word he had heard nervous courage he hadn’t thought Rebecca was capable of. He leaned around the door frame and saw the woman gripping her elbow tightly. Her back was to him but Jacob imagined her mouth was clenched into a thin line.

“If at all possible, could I have next week off?”

Next week? Jacob thought that was rather short notice, but then again, since when had Rebecca ever asked for a day off? 

“Thank you, sir.”

Jacob nearly dropped his glass. His father had said yes! There had been no negotiation or teeth pulling at all. Jacob was barely aware that the countdown had reached 30 seconds when he realized Rebecca had hung up. She didn’t put the phone away nor did she join him. She continued to stare at her phone. He swore he could hear her heart beating over the fireworks outside as she opened her contacts. 

20 seconds left.

She swiped down until she reached the one she was looking for. Her finger hovered there for what felt like a lifetime. The edge of her face Jacob could see told him she was considering something. Was it second thoughts? Perhaps she was mentally calculating the time difference between here and wherever in the world she was about to call? Jacob stepped closer. 

10 seconds left.

She pressed call and held the device to her ear. Jacob wanted—needed—to hear too. He inched closer, straining his listening muscles until he could barely make out the automated ringing noise. 

5 seconds left.

She didn’t notice he was right behind her. The ringing had become Rebecca’s entire world. He was close enough now to see her mind shuffle through the multiple ways this could go. He could tell this was a call where she would be bombarded with hundreds of questions. The choices on how to even start such a call were infinite. 

The line picked up. He heard a voice. Tired, whispery, old. It was a voice Rebecca probably hadn’t heard in years. 

3.

“Hello?”

2.

And Rebecca took a deep breath. “...Hi, mom.”

1.

END

December 27, 2019 18:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.