0 comments

Fiction Horror

WITCHERY FALLS

Halloween was a pretty big deal in Witchery Falls. It may have had something to do with the name although no one really knew where the name came from - or perhaps more likely that small New England towns, with the whole witchcraft thing that had occurred in the past, felt the need to celebrate with all things spooky. All Hallows Eve was a civic event and it had become something of a tradition for the Mayor to judge the best costume. But not this year. The Mayor had disappeared. His car had been found empty - the driver’s door open and the radio still playing. Of the Mayor, though, there was no sign. Over the next few days the town had been buzzing with speculation about what had happened to him. Some suggested he’d had a breakdown and just fled to who knows where, while some others whispered about an affair, but no one knew. The local police department had no clues.

The town wondered whether the Halloween festivities should still go ahead but didn’t wonder for very long. The children were getting excited, their mothers competing to deliver the best costumes. Some delighted in producing the most elaborate homemade creation they could to surpass the previous year’s winner whereas others ordered in professional ones from Boston.

By Halloween the pumpkins were displayed on the porches, the bags of goodies for trick or treat were in place by the front doors and all eyes were on the weather. Rain was forecast  but hopefully it would hold off until the procession had wound its way through the town and, instead of the Mayor, the Chief of Police would take over judging duties. Someone suggested asking the Mayor’s wife but this was quickly dismissed due to her understandably distressed state.

In her blue weather boarded house, Emily was admiring the final touches made to her long black vampire outfit. Grandma was helping and would, as Emily’s parents had to go to the city, accompany her for the first time. Being an avid church goer she was not really comfortable with the whole Halloween thing. Emily was ten years old and desperate to go out alone with her friends. She said her parents would have let her but Grandma was firm - she must supervise Emily. To get into the spirit of things she would dress up a little herself  - just a witchy type cloak and some fake vampire teeth.

Grandma was doubly uneasy about children being out at night as, a couple of days before just around sun down, a black SUV with black windows also, was seen driving slowly on the outskirts of town. The registration plate had not been visible but it did not belong to anyone from the community. Was it linked to the Mayor’s disappearance? Who could say but nonetheless there was apprehension in some circles.

The evening of Halloween was dry and still, the rain fortunately not appearing - just right for a jolly, family friendly event that all could enjoy in spite of the chill in the air. Well, hopefully enjoy.... Emily joined a group of friends but Grandma stayed close enough to keep an eye on her. She laughed with other parents and tried as best she could to get into the swing of things despite her unease. Emily was her responsibility. She had no other grandchildren and took this responsibility very seriously.

For a while the mystery of the Mayor was forgotten. No one was thinking about the Mayor at all. No one suspected that he was not a million miles away from the happy throng, actually watching them. Shielded from sight by the bushes, the Mayor cast his bloodshot eyes over the revellers. He was feeling hungry: very hungry. It was a new kind of hunger; one that began...began when? He remembered being in his car and encountering a large black vehicle but after that, well, things were hazy. All he knew was that he could not feel the cold and needed to eat - to feed- desperately.

Meanwhile Grandma had somehow lost sight of Emily and was worried. She excused herself from the group of adults she was with to try to find her. She felt foolish, a woman of her age dressed as a witch with the vampire element covered by the fake teeth. Emily had laughed when Grandma put the teeth in; she thought it was very funny. Scary things that aren’t real and can’t cause harm are funny – Grandma agreed. Scary things that are real though are another matter and Grandma felt scared now – she thought she heard movement in the bushes. Who, or what, was there?

Later, after the best costume had been chosen, the children began to make their way home. The night had grown suddenly much colder but not for the Mayor and he was no longer hungry. He felt more alive than he had since...? Since forever. He would not be alone - not anymore - so his life, rather his existence, would be different from now on.

Emily’s house was on the edge of Witchery Falls and Grandma finally caught up with her not far from home. Grandma was disheveled, she had been searching all over for Emily but wondered if she had had some sort of blackout as there was a spell when she couldn’t remember what had happened. She felt odd, she felt strange – not herself. 

Emily was walking slowly. She turned equally slowly as Grandma approached behind her. From the shadows the Mayor watched his new companion about to enjoy her first supper.        

‘Emily, where have you been? I have been hunting all over for you.’ whispered Grandma as she reached towards her.

‘Oh Grandma, you seem unwell. Have you cut yourself? There is blood.....blood on your cloak.’

‘It is nothing. Perhaps from those big fake teeth I wore – they rubbed.’

Grandma leaned forward to Emily.

‘It could be, but look Grandma, come closer, come closer - look at me. I have big teeth also, very big teeth, but mine aren’t like yours. Mine aren’t made of PLASTIC. Mine are sharp. Mine are very sharp because they are REAL! ‘

October 29, 2020 17:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.