The Comedy of Nigerian Novelists

Submitted into Contest #257 in response to: Write a story in which a case of mistaken identity plays a pivotal role.... view prompt

19 comments

Fiction African American Funny

Janitor Tobe Adeoyo trudged through the dimly lit halls of 50 East 34th Street. The clock had just struck 8 pm, and he proceeded wearily from office to office, ready to clean any mess left behind by the editors, sub-editors, publicists, and literary agents of New York’s publishing community.


Fourteen long years have passed since he left the small town of Otukpo in Eastern Nigeria to chase the American dream. Life in the Big Apple was like a bad plate of jollof rice: spicy, unpredictable, and occasionally burnt. One thing remained certain –Tobe’s unwavering integrity. No matter how tough things got, Tobe Adeyeo from Otukpo would not tell a lie.


As he pushed open the door to yet another office, Tobe was met with an unexpected sight. An older white man sat behind a desk. “Welcome, Tobi Adeyeo, from Okpoko! I’ve been expecting you,” the man said, his voice oozing warmth.


Tobe furrowed his brow. “I am Tobe Adeyeo from Otukpo.”


“Yes, you are!” The man rose from his seat and extended his hand. “I’m Greg, your agent.” He tapped a brand new hardcover book on his desk. “Over one million copies sold. You are a literary sensation in America!”


Tobe blinked. Literary sensation? He’d dabbled in writing, but had never published a book. “This book, what is it about?” 


“What is Najia Nexus about? You wrote it!” Greg said, his eyes twinkling. “Checking if I read it? Yes, I have. Your book is a brilliant African futurism novel about a man’s journey to Nigeria to search for the creator of the best avatar on the Galactic Web. I’ve read it cover to cover, and it’s truly remarkable.”


Tobe’s heart raced as he glanced at the book on Greg’s desk. “How much money did selling one million copies make?”


“Oh, the book has done quite well,” Greg answered, pride dripping from his words. “Net profits of $1.3 million, minus my 20% cut, of course.”


Tobe picked up the book, flipped it over, and studied the author’s photo on the back cover. The man staring back at him was Nigerian and around his age. Did he resemble him? He didn’t think so. But we are all blind to how others see us, he thought. He reminded himself that he was an honest man and could not lie.


“I work long hours,” he offered. 


“Yes, writing an 800-page sci-fi novel is hard work.”


“Writing is hard work. That is a fact.” Tobe grinned. 


“Yes. It is. Now, let's get down to business.”


He nodded, his mind racing. A part of him wondered if he could use this misunderstanding to his advantage, without actually lying. He had toiled his entire life, and this could be his chance to finally get ahead.


Tobe realized the missing author was bound to appear soon. He excused himself to go to the bathroom. Outside, he cornered a newly hired janitor, handed him a $20, and told him, “Don’t let anyone, under any circumstances, enter the offices of Kerman Media. Especially someone with a Nigerian accent who looks like me.”


“I like you, bro,” the young janitor said, pocketing the twenty.


He returned to the agent’s office. 


“Sorry to keep you waiting, Greg,” Tobe said as he opened the door again.


Greg was grinning with delight, obviously pleased to meet the famous author, Tobi from Okpoko. Looking at how happy he was, Tobe didn’t want to disappoint him. 


“I’m pleased you enjoyed Najia Nexus so much,” Tobe said, reading the book’s title off the cover.


“And this is yours.” Greg handed him an envelope.


“Thank you.” Tobe looked inside. The envelope was full of money.


“Spending money for your New York trip. You mentioned cash is better to avoid the Tax Authorities in Lagos. Beautiful house over there, by the way!”


“You like it?”


“I saw your photos. 6 bedrooms and 4 servants! I would live in Nigeria too if I spoke the language. Money goes farther there.”


“The language we speak in Lagos is English.”


“Interesting.” Greg gave him an approving nod. “I like you.”


Tobe had heard that twice today. People said it to him often, perhaps it was the only thing going for him.


“Remember, Tobi, tomorrow we have the Barnes & Noble book signing at 8am, and you will receive the Emerging Fiction award, and give your acceptance speech at the Rockefeller Center at 8pm.”


Tobe shook hands in parting, stuffed the envelope nonchalantly into his pocket, and said he would see him again the next day.


Tobe sashayed with new confidence toward the front reception exit. 


His assistant blocked his path and breathlessly told him, “There was a man outside, shouting in a Nigerian accent , asking me to open up. I turned off the lights and locked the doors just like you said.”


“Good work,” Tobe said, slipping him another twenty dollar bill. “That is a dangerous man with a delusion he is the top author in Nigeria—” Tobe realized he said the first lie in his life. “Or so someone might say about a man banging on a publishing company’s door at 10pm.”


On the way home, alone on an empty subway car, he peeked into the envelope. There was more money inside than he had ever seen in his life. He wrote a short story once. He was a writer, and he was from Nigeria! He did not tell a lie. Tobe drifted off to sleep blissfully happy. When he woke up, it was 11am. 


Tobe’s fingers hovered over the digits on Greg’s business card.


“This is Tobe. I’m afraid I overslept,” he said when the call connected.


“That’s bad news,” Greg’s voice groaned over the line. “This morning’s event was a disaster. Someone pretending to be you took the stage, mansplained your entire book for two hours, and then didn’t take any questions.”


“Nigerians sometimes take credit for writing other people's books. That is a fact.”


“Is that so? Just make sure you’re early for tonight’s award ceremony. No more mix-ups.”


Tobe called in sick, then arrived at Rockefeller Center well before 6pm. He discreetly alerted security–fellow Nigerians–to let them know a wild-eyed man claiming to be Nigeria’s top novelist might try to sneak into the venue. 


The head of security said lunatics were always trying to get into the Tonight Show, and he knew how to handle them.


Soon, in front of a crowd of thousands, Tobi Adeoyo’s name was called. He had prepared a speech, carefully crafted to avoid any references to the book he hadn't written, or read.


“Good evening! The Emerging Writers Award is an incredible honor. Our, um, my country deserves more recognition.”


Tobe adjusted the microphone. The audience leaned in, eager to listen.


“I’ve got a story for you. My American friend recently flew into Lagos to do some charity work. It was an eye-opening, shocking experience. The poverty, the starvation, the fighting, the smell, the noise. My friend is never flying economy again.”


The crowd chuckled. Everyone understood the horrors of economy.


 Tobe held up the book he hadn’t written but was now promoting. 


“You might not know much about Nigeria, but my country is developing. Rising up. We are finding our voice. Someday, Nigeria will be the country in this book.” 


Applause thundered through the auditorium. He felt invincible. Then Greg’s voice crackled over the sound system: “Questions for Tobi?”


A hand shot up. “Adanna,” a woman said, her eyes curious. “Her experiences in Kaduna—what do they symbolize?”


“Adanna.” Tobe's mind scrambled. He’d drawn a blank. “Adanna,” he repeated, stalling for time. “In Kaduna…” His throat tightened and froze.


The silence was inescapable, beads of sweat dripped down his forehead.


Then, from the back of the room, a voice rang out, “Boycott Tobi!” Heads turned. A group of young activists held up signs, and a young woman raised a megaphone. “He can’t answer the question, because Tobi is a fraud.”


Tobe’s body went cold. He had been exposed.


The protester pressed on with her attack, “Tobi’s books are written by ghostwriters, most of whom are in Nigeria and are never paid.”


Greg sprinted to the stage. “I know this man, and he would never do anything like that.”


Greg whispered in Tobe’s ear, “deny everything.”


“I refute these allegations!” Tobe faced the audience. “I have never used a ghostwriter. That is a fact.”


He launched into an impassioned speech about his love for his country. His integrity. Nigeria’s bright future. A theme that paralleled the Najia Rising Series. The protesters remained unmoved, but Tobe managed to slip off the stage with polite applause from the rest of the audience, and most importantly, without having to answer questions about Najia Nexus.


As he left the conference hall, he encountered an angry man being held back by security guards.


“I’ve got no money to return to Lagos!” he shouted with a think Nigerian accent panic in his eyes. He pointed at Tobe. “Who are you?”


“I am Tobe.” A deep anger rose within him, Tobi Adeyeo made millions from book’s he didn’t write. “If you don’t have money, then work in a restaurant, or cleaning offices.” 


“Me, work?” Tobi from Okpoko erupted into mad laughter. 


Tobe’s heart raced as he put distance between himself and his doppelgänger.


Greg chased after him. “With today’s publicity, your Najia Series is poised to dominate the bestseller lists for years. I snagged you a First Class upgrade for your flight back to Lago tomorrow.”


His agent handed him yet another envelope.


“When is the next book dropping?” Greg’s eyes bore into Tobe’s.


Tobe’s mind raced. He imagined the big house in Lagos–servants bustling, Nigerian cooks preparing jollo rice, his family visiting. He would win them all over. Tell everyone he was Tobi’s replacement, sent from New York. 


And the ghostwriters–the unsung heroes behind his success– they would finally receive their due. They would be paid in full and on time, and have their names on the next edition.


Writing is hard work. That is a fact. The best writers of Nigeria? He would become their agent.


“The next book?” Tobe smiled with equal parts excitement and trepidation. “Is coming soon.”


**

Epilogue:

While living a lie, Tobe does not tell a lie, and becomes Nigeria's most beloved literary agent, and propels dozens of previously unknown Nigerian writers to international stardom.


July 04, 2024 12:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Karen Hope
19:55 Jul 09, 2024

Great read. There are so many lessons in this - about telling the truth, doing right by other people, but also about verifying someone's identify before you hand them money - lol. Funny and enjoyable!

Reply

01:52 Jul 10, 2024

Thanks so much for reading, I really appreciate it! And so true about checking IDs. At my last job, they had us photocopy the ID of every customer we did business with, no matter how long we knew them or who they were. It was v embarrassing at times but probably prevented problems like this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:22 Jul 09, 2024

Interesting enough to keep me hooked till the end. Nice one.

Reply

01:52 Jul 10, 2024

Thanks for reading! Happy to hear it had enough tension in it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:50 Jul 07, 2024

A scary doppelganger story, indeed. Loved it. it's a case of the fraud made good - probably better than the real Tobe would have done. What a twist. A cruel twist of fate for the real Tobe. In a way MC Tobe did lie, because he allowed others to believe a lie about him that wasn't true. But does the outcome justify the means? Loved your story. Reminded me of Chinua Achebe from Nigeria who wrote stories (in English) in and around Lagos. I've read several of his books, but he didn't write sci-fi. I can understand Tobe the janitor focusing on ...

Reply

07:04 Jul 08, 2024

Thanks, I will checkout Chinua Achebe. Yes, all humanity has the same cleverness and its interesting to think (in the long span of history) the West's advantages in technology might just be temporary. The world might look incredibly different 50 years from now.

Reply

10:03 Jul 08, 2024

Another eye-opener is Russian Phage Therapy - can't be patented and therefore Antibiotics have been more popular with devastating results at times. The Russian alternative has always been around and its discovery led to it being used in Russia before antibiotics. Not known about in general. Just another bit of offtopic info.

Reply

15:32 Jul 08, 2024

Very interesting! ill do some research and may write a medium article about thus if i can figure it out… https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
22:39 Jul 06, 2024

Oh- I feel bad for Tobi Adeyeo, from Okpoko. He did all the work -to organize his ghostwriters at least- maybe he wrote some of it? I didnt get he was that bad. Tobi had his money, and fame ripped from him. A similar name, and similar face, along with bad timing was enough to ruin his life.

Reply

01:06 Jul 07, 2024

Thanks for reading and good point! If this was a longer story it would def need a thread that paints Tobi as truly deserving of his fate to switch places with Tobe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
13:50 Jul 04, 2024

Clever and funny, but dramatic too. Ŵell done!

Reply

00:46 Jul 05, 2024

Thanks for reading! I read of all the identical twins gags in Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors, and tried to use a few in this version.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:40 Jul 04, 2024

Ha ! What a fun read. I do agree with Mary. Now, he can't call himself honest. Hahaa !

Reply

00:45 Jul 05, 2024

Thanks for reading, somehow I just go with the first idea that comes to my mind after looking at the prompts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
12:53 Jul 04, 2024

Toby not such honest man anymore.😏

Reply

00:44 Jul 05, 2024

Tobe might be living a lie, but he did not tell a lie. And he will be a literary agent helping Nigerian writer make a name for themselves! There's a tiny part of me that thinks Greg might have intentionally replaced Tobi as he was such a bad person.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
19:40 Jul 10, 2024

You did a good job sticking with the style and theme of the original Comedy of Errors. I only regret that the Janitor deliberately took on the deception, which didn't seem consistent to me. The Comedy happens when someone gets rooked into this unwittingly, and that would have been more consistent. It also wasn't consistent to give cash, but a check written to the Charity mentioned in the book would have made sense, where the Janitor wants to make sure it goes there and not fall into corrupt hands. If he was acting with integrity and concern ...

Reply

00:59 Jul 11, 2024

Thanks! Yes agree, if I could do this unwittingly that would be so much more fun. Unwitting characters are easy to use on TV and in plays, but a bit more of a challenge in writing in a 3rd person limited pov. There is def a jump in the story from "integrity" to "take the money" to "he's helping all the anonymous writers of nigeria". I think I need to show how despeciable the bad author was to make the ending more satisfying. Honestly I just ran out of time. I watched a few youtube videos on a Comedy of Errors, and the original plot seems v...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:08 Jul 04, 2024

First draft of a tribute to The Comedy Of Errors. Please drop any suggestions to the comments Inspired by knowing a talented Nigerian writer in the city I live in, learning of the widespread use of English there, and hearing how the internet has brought all the people of the world so much closer together.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.