1 comment

General


Three friends find a magic lamp and cannot help but think of the story about Aladdin. One going as far as to rub it and jokingly state “Oh Jeni of the lamp, grant us wishes.” their sides aching in lighter.

No sooner than the friend had, a Jeni appeared with all of them picking their jaws up from the ground. The remaining two left presuming this had to have been planned.

Resembling nothing like the Jeni from Aladdin.

You ask for three wishes?’ the voice sounding as if it came from everywhere but nowhere at the same time, each nodding slowly.

Since there are but three of you, you each shall take part in One wish, and only One wish.’ yet again the voice from the Ether.

The first friend wished for great riches. The Jeni clapped their hands three times and they became wealthy.

The second wished for a loved one who had been lost to be returned. The Jeni yet again clapped three times and the loved one who had died appeared before their eyes.

It took the third and the one who rubbed the lamp a few minutes, but they came up wanting to travel through Time.

Once the Jeni had granted each wish, they vanished, as did the lamp.

Each hardly believing their great fortune went off to spend time with it.

Months had gone by since the three had seen each other. 

The first sat locked in their home fearing their friends and others would want to steal their wealth, going as far as boarding up all the doors and windows.

When found, their body showed they had not eaten nor bathed for some time prior to succumbing to… Death.

The second one who had wished for a loved one to be returned could not spend as much time with them as possible.

But when the authorities came to their home, their loved one was as young and vigorous as the day they were born. But they, they the one who had made the wish, appeared to have been dead for as long as their loved one... Had Been.

The third and final friend who had wished to traverse Time itself found themselves meeting the Jeni, holding the lamp they had rubbed so long ago.

It is time to pay as your friend’s had to pay.’ the final friend was dumbfounded, wondering what they meant.

I am promised 50 years of your life on the day of your death.’ thinking the Jeni was insane, the final friend could only rear their head back in amusement.

Laughing at the Jeni they were about transport themselves to some other time and place, but found he could not?

Their eyes soon craning over to where the laughing Jenin was pointing. There in the cometary was a gravestone with the lone friend’s name on. Along with… Today’s Date!

The End


November 21, 2019 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Linda Lewis
14:04 Nov 30, 2019

I liked the idea behind this, very moral, but it failed to connect with me on an emotional level. I think it needs to be a lot longer. Once the reader has time to cnnect with each wisher, their fate will have greater impact. I found the italics a little off putting much of the time too.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.