The Rhapsody of Reality and Desire - Part Two

Submitted into Contest #188 in response to: Write a story that starts with the line “So, what’s the catch?”... view prompt

0 comments

African American Romance Fiction

“So what’s the catch?”

“What do you mean, what’s the catch? “On my birthday, a few friends surprised me with a table for this year's Zulu Ball in New Orleans and I need an escort.”

“An escort?” August smirked.

“You know what? Forget I asked. I’ll just go by myself like I originally planned.” I was irritated.

“You so goofy Ivory Renee.”

August’s voice sent my body into an intense orbit but I managed to keep myself composed.

“Oh, so we’re using my government name now?”

How in the hell does he even know my government name?

He’s your boss dummy.

Oh yeah.

“That is your name, isn’t it?” August teased.

“You play too much.”

“And you’re such a beautiful play.”

“August!”

“Lemme stop before I have you believing that I like you.”

“You don’t?”

“A skosh.”

“Hump,” I feigned nonchalance. It wasn’t a “skosh” a few weeks ago. “Look August. I don’t have time to be the mouse in your little chase today. You asked me when we could hang out again and I’m giving you an opportunity. If you’re too busy to bust it down in New Orleans with me I understand. I’ll probably go by myself anyway, you know how I Laissez les bons temps rouler,” I said, shaking my shimmy.

August roared into a fit of laughter, “Girl bye. You ain’t laissez les bons temps nothing, especially while you’re with me? And put that shimmy away before I shake it.

“The hell you say,” I continued to dance. “It’s my shimmy and I’ll shake it anytime I want to.”

“We’ll see what you’re working with when we get to New Orleans.”

“Oh, so now all of a sudden we’re going?”

“I never said I wasn’t. You assumed. And you know what happens when you assume.”

“You know what August, assume yourself right on up out of here,” I pointed to the door.

“We staying for Mardi Gras?”

“Hell naw. We gon run through the Anita Baker concert, hit up Zulu, and be back in Baton Rouge before the coconuts hit the ground.”

“Anita Baker? You ain’t say nothing bout Anita Baker? When?”

“She’s playing at the Smoothie King Center the same night as Zulu. My ex-husband sent me floor seat tickets. Peace offering for being such a narcissistic blowhole while we were together, I guess.”

“So basically what you’re saying is he realizes that he let a great one go.”

“I don’t really know what he’s saying nor do I care. All I know is I’ve got two-floor seat tickets to see Auntie Nita and one has your name on it.  You down?”

I’ll go anywhere with you. “Yeah, that’s cool.”

So when are we leaving, where are we staying, and what time do I need to pick you up?” August asked.

“Slow your roll swole,” I giggled.

“I have a room at the Ritz.”

“The Ritz Carlton?”

“No fool, The Ritz Cracker,” I rolled my eyes. You heard me right, The Ritz Carlton. And as soon as I wrap things up here, I’m out of the office for the rest of the week,” I shimmied again.

A beautiful woman with eclectic taste. I like that. “So how am I supposed to escort you to the concert and the ball if you’re leaving two days prior.”

“Now who’s assuming?  I’m taking off for the rest of the week to get my hair and nails done and find an outfit for all these events.  And since you’re escorting me, make sure you dress to impress.”

“Whatever.” August blew me off.

“Anyway, I’d planned on leaving for the city tomorrow afternoon. If I leave Baton Rouge by one, I should make it to New Orleans by check-in time which is at four.”

“You’ve got it all planned out Ms. Alpha Female.”

“Yup.” I gloated.

“Well since I’m escorting you, Ms. Alpha Female, be ready by nine thirty on Friday morning. I’ll pick you up by nine forty-five and we’ll head into the city together. On the way, we can stop for brunch at Another Broken Egg over in Metairie, and still make it into the city by two. I have a friend that has a friend who knows the concierge down at the Ritz and I’ll ask him to have something special set up for us in the Davenport Lounge if you like. We can relax there until it’s time to check in or we can run down to Canal Place, take in the essence of New Orleans and you can do some shopping.”

Impressed, I asked, “that’s all fine and good, Mr. Alpha Male, but you seem to have omitted one major detail.”

“Oh?” August fingered his chin.

“Ummm humm,” I continued. “I’m hearing all these plans but where are you planning to stay?”

“I’m staying with you.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Um, 'cause while you were giving me all the details I was searching for rooms on my iPhone, and nothing's available. So um, I kinda have to stay with you,” August giggled nervously. “Unless you want me to camp out in the G-Wagon.”

“The G-Wagon is a good place for you,” I teased.

What am I getting myself into? If I let him pick me up and woo me the way he’s planning to, I’m, gonna fall face first into these feelings for him that I’m working so hard to deny.

* * * *

“Have a good day Kendra,” August said, leaving Ivy’s office.

“Byeeee August,” Kendra said, adding more sugar than usual.

As soon as August rounded the corner Kendra flew into Ivy’s office with her nose turned up.

“Can I help you?” I didn’t make eye contact.

“I just came in here to see if you needed to crack a window and light a Yankee Candle before we do this meeting.”

“We are fifteen stories high you nut. If I crack a window, I’m gonna do it with your head, then light the Yankee Candle in your memory.”

Kendra hissed and raised her cat claws, “I’m just saying, y’all were in here a mighty long time. Before I sit in this chair, do I need to anoint it with oil?”  Kendra laughed.

I threw my stapler in Kendra’s direction.

“You missed,” Kendra laughed. “So you gon tell me why y’all were in here so long or do I have to start listening in on the intercom again?”

“What do you mean, again?”

“Focus Ivy.”

“I invited him to come with me to see Anita Baker and be my escort for the Zulu Ball.”

“What’d he say?”

“Now you know he said yes,” I said bouncing in my seat. “And you ready for this?”

Kendra leaned in, adjusting her ears in preparation for Ivy’s tea, “he offered to take me to brunch. Annnnd he’s setting up something special for me at the Davenport.  Annnnd he offered to take me down to Canal Place to shop.”

“And you gon let him?”

“I guess. I mean, I have made it crystal clear to him that I am not looking for a relationship, especially after what I’ve been through with Jeremy, but every time I turn around, there he is. He’s like a freaking encore. He’s everything I wanted Jeremy to be but after being disappointed so many times, I gave up on it. And honestly, I’m content.”

“I feel you Ivy but think about it like this, maybe you and Jeremy weren’t meant to be. What if God removed Jeremy to make room for August?”

“Nah,” I said, not allowing myself to entertain the thought. “I said I was done with men and relationships and I meant just that.”

“Well if you feel that way, why’d you ask August to escort you to the ball?”

“Um, 'cause New Orleans is like Gotham City without Batman. Didn’t you hear about what happened to that comedian guy a few weeks ago? He was sitting in his car minding his own business and ended up getting murdered in the grocery store parking lot. I mean when it’s your time, it's your time but I’d be a fool to be flaunting all this fine alone in the Crescent City chile. Besides, who else could I have asked?”

“I mean Jeremy did send you the tickets. You could have asked him.”

“Did you fall?” I asked.

“What do you mean?”

“You obviously bumped your head on something on your way in here asking me that foolishness especially knowing my history with that man.”

“My bad.”

“Yeah, bruh. Your bad,” I teased. “Now let’s get ready for this staff meeting so I can get out of here in the next hour. I wanna try to beat the five o'clock traffic.

* * * *

“Welcome to the Ritz Carlton New Orleans, do you have a reservation?”

“Yes, it should be under the name Decuir,” August confirmed.

“Yes sir, I have you right here,” the concierge confirmed. “I have you down for two nights in our Residence Suite, checking out on Sunday the nineteenth, is that correct?”

“It is indeed.”

“Great. And before I issue your room key would you like to add anyone else’s name to the room?”

“As a matter of fact, I would. Please add my soon-to-be girlfriend, Ms. Ivory Breaux,” August smiled confidently.

“Alrighty. Just give me one second to get Ms. Breaux added.”

“Hey, I’m back from the ladies' room. Did you have any trouble getting the room key?”

“Here you are Mr. Decuir,” the concierge interrupted. “If you’ll just sign here stating that you added Ms. Breaux to the room, you’ll be all set.” 

August gave his signature as requested and handed the pen back to the concierge. Ivy looked on, confused.

“Alright. Elevator access to the Residence Suite is just around the corner. And with your club-level access, you’ll have immediate access to the club lounge and all its amenities. Thank you for choosing Ritz Carlton New Orleans and enjoy your stay.”

“Thank you,” August said. He grabbed Ivy’s hand and ushered her toward the elevator before she started to ask questions.  

“Um, I didn’t book The Residence Suite. I booked a regular room with a city view. What's going on August?”

“Well love, it’s a surprise.”

“Love?”

“Ivy, I had a friend pull some strings to get us the Penthouse for the weekend. If that’s okay with you.” August gave her a sly smile.

“But why? I didn’t need all this nor did I ask for it. I had a simple room that I could comfortably afford and I only planned on being here for one night.”

“Who said you had to pay for anything?”

“August I can’t let . . .”

“Will you hush and let this happen? I just want you to relax and have a good time.  You deserve to relax and have a good time.  Can you do that please?”

* * * *

“August, this room is breathtaking. I’ve never seen something so lavish and exquisite. And this view! It’s panoramic,” I cried. How could he have possibly known how much I love a view of the city? “Oh my God and there’s a terrace,” I screeched, running like a schoolgirl toward the terrace door.  “Do you know how much writing I could get done on a terrace like this? August, I really don’t deserve all this.”

“Ivy, you couldn’t begin to comprehend what you deserve,” August smiled taking her hands into his. “Now, when you’re done shouting like no one has ever taken you anywhere before, you can relax for a bit in your room, then we can head down to the Davenport Lounge or we can shoot over to Canal Place. This weekend the city is yours.”

“Wait, there are two bedrooms?”

“Uh, yeah. You didn’t think I was trying to sleep in the same bed with you, did you?” Uh, yeah.

“Right,” I replied trying to hide my disappointment. Just because I didn’t want a commitment didn’t mean that I didn’t want some loving.

“Ok. I’m going to grab a shower. You good?”

“I’m great August, Thank you.”

Don’t thank me yet. The best has yet to come. “You’re welcome.”

* * * *

“You clean up nice Mr. Decuir.”

I emerged from my suite wearing an all-black fully ruched floor-length gown with my ample bosom filling the sweetheart neckline perfectly. My hair was pulled back in a low chignon, my ears were accented simply with petite diamond studs, and my lips were the perfect shade of Ruby Woo.   I accented the earrings with a petite Diamond necklace, matching bracelet, and my diamond studded four-inch Jimmy Choos.

“I said you look nice, Mr. Decuir.”

“Wow,” August replied. “Just wow.”

“Cat got your tongue, August Decuir?”

He’s got more than my tongue. Quieting his qualms August finally replied, “You’re so beautiful.”

“Thank you,” I curtsied.

“What did I tell you about thanking me?”

“Well since my momma raised me right, I have to be polite especially after you’ve done so much for me. Now, are you ready sir? The concert starts in an hour and we’ll need to get going so we don’t run into any parade traffic.”

“Yeah, just let me grab my jacket.”

August’s Black and Gold Paisley tuxedo jacket fit like it was tailor-made just for him. Accented with a black bow tie and cufflinks, and Ferragamo Moccasins with the Gancini Gold buckle he looked like he’d just stepped off the runway.

“You ready to bust the Crescent City down?”

Laissez les bons temps rouler, you beautiful man.

“Laissez les bons temps rouler, you beautiful man,” I said parroting my thoughts. “Oh God, I didn’t mean to say . . .”

Before I could finish my sentence August kissed me with the passion that had been oozing from his pores since the day he first laid eyes on me.

“What are you doing?” I pulled away. “Maybe we shouldn’t have done this . . .”

“Ivy,” August approached me slowly. “I'm feeling something for you that I want to explain but I can’t. I hear you when you say you don’t want to be in a relationship however, I cannot help wanting to give you everything that you deserve. I know I was out of line and I’m . . .”

“Please don’t apologize. I haven’t been honest with you and I haven’t been honest with myself.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve been craving your energy since that night we went out. The same night we made love. I swear you’ve awakened parts of me that I thought were dead and buried. I had no plans of ever falling for anyone else. But now here you are and I can’t focus. All I do is think about you, August Decuir. I want to love you but I’m afraid.”

“Afraid of me?” August asked, taking me in his arms.

“If show you where I keep my heart one day you might aim and fire. I can’t go through that again.”

“Ivy, if you trust me with your heart, I vow right here and now that I guard it with my life love. Test me and swear I will prove you wrong every time.”

“Why me?”

“Why not you?”

August kissed me again and all the inhibitions I held captive in my heart were released.

“Don’t answer now. Let’s go do what we came to do and tomorrow after we’ve busted it down so much that we’re both deflated, we can spend the day here together. No pressure, okay?

“Okay.”

“Now go grab your purse while I call for the car.”

“The car?”

“Yes, the car. You didn’t think we were ubering around Gotham City, did you? Everything I do, I do it, first class.”

“Ok, Mr. First Class.”

Why is this man fighting for my heart like this?

* * * *

“Hey Girl, Hey.” Kendra and I hugged before I greeted everyone else at the table.

“Ivy’s here y’all,” Kendra shouted.

“Hey Ivy,” the table shouted back.

“What took y’all so long,” Kendra asked.

“Girl, you know I told you we were going to see Anita Baker first.”

“Oh yeah. How was that?”

“Let's just say, Auntie Nita with her sixty-five-year-old self don’t owe me nothing. We didn’t get to see Babyface open though.”

“Why?” Kendra bopped to the sounds of DJ Jubilee.

“I’ll have to tell you all about that later.”

“Uh uh, you gon have to give me a teaser right now.”

I stayed quiet.

“Heffa!” Kendra poked me in the arm.

“Ouch,” I fake cried. “He asked me to be his girlfriend.”

“Shut up. For real?”

“He did, Girl.”

“And you said?”

“I didn’t say anything, yet. He told me I didn’t have to answer right now. And you know how I feel about relationships.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. I wish you would just let that man love you. It’s clearly obvious that he wants to. And you know there ain’t many brothas out here trying to willingly commit. You crazy.”

“There's more.”

Kendra leaned in.

“He upgraded my room at the Ritz to the Penthouse Suite.”

“Shut the hell up!” Kendra lost it. “And you showed here? Walking? Baby if that was me, I would be over there right now giving him a personal tour of alllll my love.”

“Harlot.” We laughed.

“So what are you gonna do?”

“I’m done talking about this right now Kendra. Anthony Hamilton is about to perform and you know how much I love me some Anthony. This is his first time performing at Zulu so you know he’s about to throw down.”

“Yeah, girl. Anthony is a whole vibe.

“I hope he performs “Best of Me.” I want to see if August knows how to swing out. You know how much I love to dance and any man who knows his way around the dance floor, with me, is a keeper.”

“Well honey, let me go find Anthony and tell him that “Best of Me” needs to be first on his list.”

We laughed.

March 11, 2023 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.