0 comments

Fiction Horror Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

This story contains descriptive content that some may find disturbing.



A Dark, Cold Frightful Night


It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. My hands hurt, and my feet were growing more numb by the moment. I crawled further into the cave, leaning back against its hard rock wall. 


Thinking it must have been a den, I hoped a bear would not make its presence known.


I wore only a thin coat and a lightweight scarf. My gloves were thin and somewhat threadbare from use. I wore shoes, as I had blown off the thought of wearing heavy boots. Now I wished I had them. 


“Ouch, my face hurts!” I sniffled silently. It did no good to cry as no one was nearby to help.  Removing my glove, I touched my cheek, which felt like cold, stiff leather. 


My face was numb to the touch, and the pins and needles sensation I was now feeling in my fingers made it hard to actually feel the texture of my skin. I was sure frostbite was setting in if it hadn’t already. 


A horrid thought of a skier I had recently seen on the news crossed my mind. He was caught in an avalanche and miraculously rescued through God's grace. Although saved he, unfortunately, lost both feet and one hand.


I wondered if that was my fate. Worse yet, would I be left to die, with my rotting body to be found long after the winter months had passed? 


People would say, “That poor girl,” But life would go on—all but mine.


Move... that’s what I needed to do. If I didn't move I stood no chance of survival. How could I have been so careless!


Pain ripped through my body as I pulled myself to my feet. My body ached everywhere, especially my face. My feet felt like frozen stumps, on which it was hard to balance. Pins and needles took the place of any feeling I had left in my toes.


Searching the forest around me, I wondered where to go. It would soon be dark, and I had to find my bearings. If only I had stayed in the truck and waited for help. 


I hadn't anticipated a buck smashing through my windshield. I could still envision his mangled body as he hit hard, sending shards of glass everywhere before he bounced off. I could still envision his eyes crying out for help. He hit with a loud bang, much like a gunshot, demanding my full attention as I swerved on the icy pavement. I had no doubt he was dead.


Feeling something wet run down my forehead, I removed my glove to check it out. Seeing red, I realized I was bleeding. Daring to touch the top of my head I located the source of the blood, a small squishy gash of wet skin met my fingers. As painful as it was I needed to access how serious it might be as I pressed around the gash.


My hand was now bright red with blood as I quickly slid my glove back over it. I told myself I would be okay for a little while anyway. If only my phone had been charged, as I reminded myself to do earlier, but had not done. How many hours had I been out here?


I had no one to blame except myself after stubbornly turning down an offer to stay the night with a friend. How could I have known this would happen? 


It wasn’t snowing this hard earlier, but I know how fast these squalls can blow in on these mountain roads. Today was the day of our annual Christmas Party, and I had a few drinks. It definitley was not a good time to be driving these winding back roads, but my alcohol induced mind had told me different.


Before the wreck, I recalled seeing a turnoff with a sign indicating a ranger station ahead. I felt sure I would be able to find it on foot. Not anticipating the biting cold, I quickly realized I was not dressed for the environment. After wandering for what seemed like an eternity, I came to the stark relization I was lost. Completely disoriented, I knew I was in deep trouble but was not about to give up.


Spotting a stump, I eased my butt down onto it. My foot was throbbing and I wanted to take a look at it. My shoe didn't want to budge as I finally yanked it off; I then pulled off my sock. I didn’t recognize my foot in its purplish-white and swollen state. Horrified, I pulled my sock back on, as I winced in pain. I didn't try to put my shoe on as I knew it would be futile. It was obvious at least one foot was terribly frostbit. I had to find help.


“Oh, why didn’t I listen to you David?” I was now crying. He had offered to pick me up after the party, but I had, again, stubbornly refused. He would have had the sense to stay in town for the night. I would give anything to have him by my side. “Oh David, I’m sorry I’ve done this to you, to us.”


David was my husband of seven years, my soulmate and best friend. If I died this way, it would kill him. Why did my stubborness always seem to hurt others?


Shaken by thoughts of David, I knew I must keep moving and again looked for a way out.


Suddenly, I saw a tree that looked somewhat familiar. Hadn’t I walked by that same tree earlier? I felt sure I had and hobbled in its direction. How had I missed it before?


I could no longer feel my hands as the pain and tingling had passed, and only numbness remained. My ears and nose felt hollow as though they didn’t exist. My head throbbed, making it difficult to concentrate.


Forcing one lifeless stump ahead of the other, I clumsily made my way to the tree and collapsed against it. It took everything I had to get there and I was out of breath.


"Karly!" The sound of my name startled me as I peered around the base of the massive tree trunk. I saw a light in the distance.


“I’m here!” I screamed with every ounce of strength I had left. “I’m here!” The light moved in my direction as I screamed louder. “Please help me!”


Lying against the tree, I felt my body slump down further as I watched the light grow closer. More lights joined the first and I heard a vaguely familiar voice. “Come on. She’s over here!” I was fading quickly.


A set of hands reached toward me as I tried to reach for them. The hands became ten hands, as I felt my head slip backward. Voices echoed around me while a comforting sense of letting go carried me into the most peaceful oblivion I had ever known.


Struggling to keep my eyes open, I found I could not and everything went black.

~

“Wake up, Kaley.” My eyes were heavy as I slowly forced them open. 


“That must have been some dream.” My husband sat beside me with a curious look on his face.


I bolted upright, suddenly realizing I was in my own bedroom. Sunlight poured in through the large bay window.


Tears rolled down my cheeks as I reached for David. My hand looked pink and healthy as I touched his handsome face. He was real. I was home.


David, I thought I had lost you forever.”


Kissing my face, he held me tight, assuring me I had a bad dream. “I love you Kaley,” he whispered. “You’re safe with me.”


The phone rang as David reached for it. “Hello, yes, this is David.”


“She is right here with me, Officer.”


“You're mistaken Sir... Yes, I could be there in a half hour to identify the body... But I’m telling you, she is here with me."


“No, our truck is in the garage, Officer... But, yes... I definitely will take a look.”


Her shoe? I don't know anything about it."


My eyes grew large as I watched David. Now staring at me, he had a strange look on his face. His fingers tapped nervously on the telephone receiver.


“Thank you, Officer. Good-bye.”






March 12, 2023 21:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.