write about a character who must confess their true feelings by midnight, or risk losing it all

Written in response to: Write about a character who must confess their true feelings by midnight, or risk losing it all.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

The wall had become vivid again. Vivid with fantasies and excitable scenarios, beaming onto Analise's exhausted face. So, naturally, she spent three hours into the night lying on her side and staring at it. Eyes wide open and boring into the endless imaginative abyss that presented itself to her as plaster. Though Ana thought of many things, one name echoed through her head every few seconds, Adam, Adam, Adam... One would assume she'd get tired of hearing it over and over. But mixed with several different creative possibilities of running into him in the hallways or sharing a quick conversation during lunch, the name really hadn't gotten old yet.

In the morning light, there were no mushy thoughts resonating from Ana's bedroom walls. It was silent with terrible, impending anxiety. Ana's covers were warm, but her heart, she decided, was warmer, so she swung her legs off the bed and prepared for a long day. Usually, Thursdays were quick and easy for Ana; fill a mug with coffee, attend her classes, study in the library, and back to the dorms where she would enjoy a calming book or nostalgic TV show on her laptop. All the other days were filled with an extensive list of important activities. After all, this was Analise's last year of college, and she had no intention of wasting it. She was the faithful co-president of the Biology Club, a frequent visitor to the humane society and homeless shelter, and a competitive participant in tennis, jogging, and swimming. None of this got in the way of her Thursday. Sure, she had her regular classes, but otherwise, Thursday was her dedicated resting period.

And, of course, Thursday has such a relaxing ring to it as well... Thursday rolls right off the tongue. Do you have any plans for Thursday? No, I'm all free for Thursday. See?

Analise managed to let a boy- of all things -interrupt her resting period, though. Adam Burton (and a quite useless boy, too) had many resting periods. The only days he had much to do are on the weekends, when he drove 45 minutes to his hometown to visit his grandma and take her dog on a regular hike. Adam believed he had a future in restaurant entrepreneurship, but he hadn't exactly pursued the idea yet. Although, he worked as an exceptional bar tender... you know, flipping all those cups around and pouring drinks like a circus lion is supposed to bound through and leap through his liquid hoop or something.

Analise never drank. Nevertheless, she always managed to plop her behind on the farthest stool in a hole-in-the-wall bar called Yankee's.

November 11, 2022 23:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.