0 comments

Adventure Fiction

The Mariana Trench

It's the morning of February 21, 2020. The cold morning air clung to the boat like a damp shroud, its icy fingers seeping through every crevice. The ocean stretched out before us, a vast expanse of gray blue, its surface rippling with the promise of adventure. The boat rocked gently, creaking in protest against the chill. I huddled in my thick woolen coat, the collar pulled up to shield my neck from the biting wind.

There are ten of us scientist on the T.R. Gunther Thomas one of the second largest ships in U.S. Oceanography research fleet. My name is Dr. Ryan J. Penthalt. This is my first time on the ship along with one of my college Dr. Patricia K. Mathis. It's a cold twenty-eight degrees this morning. The skies are a pale gray, and the sun is barely peeking through. Our research is funded by the Natural Science Foundation. The research team will perform the first systematic study of life in the Mariana Trench. It's the deepest trench in the floor of the western North Pacific Ocean. Mariana Trench stretches 1,580 miles and 36,037 feet deep. We were anxious to get started on our journey. The engine sputtered to life, and we chugged away from the safety of the harbor. The water was calm and still for the moment. The ship cut through the waves leaving a frothy wake behind. I clung to the railing; my fingers numb despite the gloves. The salty air stung my cheeks, and I squinted against the glare of the sun. As we sailed farther from shore, the cold intensified. The several of the research team wrapped themselves in thick blankets, their faces red from the cold.

From the deck of the research vessel T.R. Gunther Thomas I gaze out at the stormy sea

in all directions. The ship rides the waves, rising and plunging like a giant roller coaster.

But our purpose here goes beyond the dramatic views. We’re in the Pacific Ocean, during winter a time when something fundamental is happening beneath the surface.

As the continued to stand outside the deck observing the vast circumference of the Pacific Ocean,

I left the deck take solace inside my quarters. I went to my desk and took out my diary from a

drawer. I wanted to write a written accordance from my time on the vessel. The things that I

experience during my time on the ship. The new friends that I had made on my journey. The

whole experience was a grand one which I will never forget. We conducted many observations.

during the several days and the conclusion of evidence was found on the final day. During our fourth day our research of the Mariana trench we discovered four main aspects of the trench

inhabitants through bacterial, deep sea fish adaptions, geological properties and formation and

microbial life forms.

The bacterial living at extremes depths produces enzymes that may have commercial. application in the chemical development, medicine, and even plastic degradation.

Deep sea fish adaptions there was a notably, new species of sailfish called Pseudolipatis swiriei, was described and collected from depths ranging between 6,896 to 7,966 meters in the Trench. This may have been the deepest fish ever collected with verified depth.

data.

Geological properties and formation scientist investigated the formation of the Mariana Trench

itself, as well as related geological properties, volcanic activity, and island formation.

Microbial life contrary to earlier beliefs. The very bottom of the Mariana trench, which lies almost 11 kilometers (7 miles) down the Pacific Ocean, teems with microbial life. High levels of

microbial activity has been discovered, challenging the notion that his environment is too hostile for life to exist in these thriving bacte.

This had been an adventure for me to sail across the Pacific Ocean on the T.R. Gunther Thomas. My colleagues and myself have caught a terrible cold on the deck of this vessel. The harsh freezing temperatures that we have experience through the days and evenings on the ship.

The icy cold conditions along with the snow has almost given me frostbite. I thought that I had packed enough warm clothes for this excursion, but I was greatly mistaken.

and snow had made me have chills. I can't wait to return home the arms of my wife Charlotte and our daughter Reagan. On our first day on the ship Dr. Mathis caught a dreadful bout of seasickness. I had never seen a person look greener in the face. I almost laughed, but seeing how sick she was made me feel bad for her. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Chen and Dr. Jun

two scientists from China. There was another gentleman who was a Frenchman named Dr.

Rochefort. There were five of us reaching close together. I didn't really get the chance to meet the other five scientist. They stayed mostly inside their quarters and barely spoke when we were above deck. I sat in my quarters finishing up writing indie my diaries recording the final events for that day. I arose from my bunk and began putting all my things into my backpack. The tangy

fishy smell of the ocean air was beginning to make me feel lightheaded. I hoped that I didn't get seasickness like Dr. Mathis. Charlotte and I had taken a many families cruise before our daughter arrived. This was at totally different feeling that I'm experiencing now.

“How are you feeling?” asked Dr. Mathis. “I have seen that look before.”

“I feel awful.” I spoke.

Dr. Mathis went into her book bag and headed me three small white pills.

“I hope you feel better,” said Dr. Mathis.

“Thanks,” I said.

I didn't hesitate to pop all three pills inside my mouth. I took a bottle of water that was left out on my table to wash them down. I felt better immediately. I went back on deck everyone was laughing and talking about their own experiences with the trip. The ship came to a standstill. We had finally arrived at the port. I saw my wife Charlotte along with the other spouses along the side of the railing waiting. She was holding our daughter in her arms. I said my final goodbyes to my colleagues and ran to greet my wife. I gave her and my daughter the biggest hugs and kisses.

“How was everything.” asked Charlotte. “We've missed you.”

“It was awesome,” I said. “I'm glad to be home.”

The smell of the ocean had finally left my nostrils. My appetite had returned, and I was craving a nice big chili coney. There was a concession near the port that served food. I made it my

first stop before we left for home that afternoon. The wonders of the Mariana Trench were something that I would never forget. The research that we did those days will be most helpful to

other scientist and people alike who also wants to learn more about all the inhabitants beneath the ocean's floor.

April 20, 2024 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.