2 comments

General

Monday


I hate that piano. I should have never bought this house so cheap. That out of tune piano has been playing every night, but only when it’s just me. The piano stops when I have people over, or start recording on my phone. I guess spirits are smarter than what is shown in movies.


It feels weird writing these words down. Like I have to convince myself that everything is happening. I have nothing else except what I put from my mind to paper. I hate this feeling of insecurity from my own senses. Maybe this is why all haunting victims seem to break down so quickly.


Why did I have to get stuck with a night owl spirit? I’m going to end up on one of those shows that showcase crazy people.


Maybe it’s my grandmother coming back to haunt me because I never paid attention back when to tried to teach me.


I’m so tired. I need to sleep. I don’t know how much longer I can take this.


Thursday


I don’t know what my life has turned into. Two weeks ago, I was a college dropout, threatening homelessness. Now I feel like I’m on a cringe-worthy horror show.


My co-worker Jerry claims to be able to feel a spiritual presence. Before I always thought it was the cocaine and the LSD talking, but now that I’m actually listening to what he says, I see some truth here. 


Maybe I’m becoming too desperate here, but Jerry told me that he believes everything I told him. He said he could try and help me. It worth trying everything at this point, so I invited him over.


He told me to keep a record of everything I do regarding my problem. I don’t really see the point, but when a crack head tells you to do something, you just do it.


Friday 


Jerry was absolutely useless. He just rubbed his dirty hands all over the piano and concluded it was not an evil spirit before raiding my fridge for the last bottle of beer. 


Asshole. I should have known I would have to do this on my own. 


It took forever, but I finally figured out what song what playing on that darn piano. My google search history has to be a mile long now. It is Ashes by Celine. Not much to work with, but it’s the best clue I’ve got right now.


That song is pretty new, so whoever is haunting my piano must have died recently. The song seems to be like a call for help. Maybe Jerry was right. 


Maybe I can help whoever this spirit is. It’s not like I have anything better to do.


Sunday 


This is a spirit mystery journal, audio recording one. I have found a way to communicate with the spirit. Our system is one note for yes, two notes for no. I tried to get some specific answers, but apparently, ghosts like playing twenty questions way too much.


Did you live in this house before?


Ding


Okay, good start. Did you have an unnatural death?


Ding


Was your death an accident?


Ding ding


Were you murdered?


Ding


A murder mystery! I’m not really sure what else I expected. Okay, was it someone you were close to?


Ding 


Did you guys live here together?


Ding ding


No, okay. So they lived alone. Were you close with your murderer?


Ding 


Was it a family member?


Ding ding 


Not family? Was it a romantic partner?


Ding


Ooh, this is getting more dramatic than a Telenovela! Were you guys fighting before your death?


Ding 


Was he cheating?


Ding


Ding 


A yes and a no? That’s weird, okay, rethink. Were you the person he was cheating with?


Ding


Man! What a jerk!


Ding 


Hahaha! Not the time to be laughing, be serious. Was he caught for murdering you?


Ding ding


Oh shit, there is a murderer lose! Do you need my help catching him?


Ding 


Monday


I haven’t been able to get my mind off of the spirit. I found out her name is Ava, took a lot of yes or no questions to find that one out. 


After I got her first name, I was able to search the news reports about her death. Funny enough, I couldn’t find any, just a couple of stories about a missing case for Ava Mables. They just say that she stopped contacting her family and showing up to classes.


I can’t help but feel connected to this all now. Ava put her trust in me to help avenge her spirit. Maybe this is the larger than life moment I’ve been looking for. I may have screwed up most of my life so far, but I won’t screw this up. No way in hell. Ava can trust in me.


Wednesday 


I forgot how much fun the game hot and cold was. It took a bit of work to develop a system where Ava could commute her answer, but it worked in the long end. 


Ava was able to lead me to a box she had hiding in the attic. A cute box with a bunch of love notes and pictures in it. I could feel my inner detective come out, so I put on some gloves I stole from work before I started snooping around the box.


From the pictures and love notes, I was able to get the name, Darren Wollaston. I spent all of yesterday searching this guy up. No social media made it really hard to find him, but I was still able to do it. There is nothing that trusty Google can’t do. The guy is married and has three kids with his wife! Talk about a mega jerk.


I also found a pregnancy test with a note attached to it. Some of the ink is smudged from droplets, so I’m pretty sure Ava wrote this after getting in a fight about the pregnancy.


Ava wrote about how she was happy to be having a baby and wanted to start a family. She said that after she told Darren about it, he instantly got super aggressive about it and told her that she had to get an abortion. She quotes that he said that she was going to die before she had the baby.


I don’t know what kind of monster it takes to kill a human, but a pregnant woman is a whole new level of evil. I will avenge Ava if it is the last thing I do.


Sunday


I don’t think I have ever felt like more of a badass in my life. Never again could I achieve this level of coolness.


Darren’s arrest was on the news tonight. He apparently denied the whole relationship, claiming he didn’t even know her before a search warrant was given. They found traces of her blood on some clothing he buried in his wife’s garden. He started sobbing as someone recorded him being taken from his house. They even got a shot of his wife slapping him.


They found Ava’s body buried in a forest not too far from this house. Apparently, he did a horrible job, so it wasn’t too hard to find. I’m just so glad that Ava finally got justice. It’s unfortunate for her family members who had hoped she was still alive, but I think the truth is more important.


Ava is getting a proper funeral next week. I was invited, so I booked the day off work. My boss got pissy with me, but I told him to fire me if he had a problem with me respecting the dead. That shut him up pretty quick.


I’m just so happy that Ava got the respect she deserved. She played me a song before going silent. I haven’t been able to speak with her lately. I hope everything is okay.


Saturday


The night is finally silent, yet I still can’t sleep. I want to sleep, but my mind won’t let me. I miss the sound of the keys playing music throughout the night. Off tune notes going through all the rooms. It feels so empty here for the first time since I bought it.


The funeral was beautiful. I felt a little out of place since I didn’t know anyone, but I’m still glad I went. I saw the wife of Darren, she stood in the back the whole time, but I could see that her face was wet with tears. Ava’s mom came up to me and thanked me. She cried into my shoulder. I was never good with the reassurance thing, but thankfully she didn’t seem to mind.


I asked Jerry about Ava disappearing after things got too lonely for me. He said something about Spirits moving on after they have dealt with their unfinished business. I guess that makes sense. It doesn’t make it any less lonely. I hope I can meet Ava when my time comes to pass on from this life.


Writing this out doesn’t feel so surreal anymore. More comforting than anything now. I feel like I can sleep now.


April 10, 2020 05:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eian Wright
21:41 Apr 10, 2020

This was such a good story. I loved how it switched from creepy and haunting to understanding to resolution. The characters were pretty amazing too. I loved Jerry. He played such a minor role, but was a great comic relief and was super believable. Great story!

Reply

Lynn Penny
04:46 Apr 15, 2020

Thanks! I was excited to try a new style out so I'm glad it turned out. I love Jerry too :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.