The testing my nerve adventure.

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that takes place on a train.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was this lazy afternoon,that i made an impromptu decision to leave town ,i was undergoing work fatigue that lasted more than i expected and i knew i needed that trip out of town,when i spotted an old colleague on the same couch ,to be precise directly opposite my seat,then I lifted my eyes and returned his look with one equally intent,he winked,then the wink changed to a sneer , masked with a bantering smile,i could see what was flowing in his mind...it was a tale of foul and sour memories ,' 'i don't understand he replied, i knew that he must have heard of my promotion, well you see he used to be the head of our accounting department until his drinking escapades threw him out of the door.

l took my time,i let my fingers dawdle on the mug,while i sipped my coffee," its very unusual to see you in a train,he murmured wrinkling his brows and pursing his lips,were the flights fully booked? or did they delay on giving you the pennies. he was really stretching my patience but i knew this was a game i had to win.i gave him a long sarcastic laugh,staring straight in his eyes,with an impatient gesture ,he leaned back ,i could tell he was certain of what was my response,his tone mingling with sarcasm and irritation ,he replied cutting me off," a charming girl like you deserves a good man,not a good job,i was now loosing my patience ,making a very well calculated pause i replied ' lets cut this crap,waving at the waiter " serve the gentleman what he enjoys most on my bill.

Before i could think of my next smart move, a woman hissing behind my back was pulling my hairs ,screaming at the top of her voice,hurling unprintable insults,as i struggled to release myself from her unstable grip,i was perplexed and stifled with unease ,she had big black eyes,darkly mottled bruises around her arms,discolored skin,charred lips,i could clearly tell those were symptoms of physical abuse and alcoholism,her breath was choking ,while her voice was cranky,i grabbed her arms and shouted 'stop this insanity.she groaned and staggered over to the next passenger distant sounds of laughter wafted from the locals and tourists on board, who were now enjoying a free Afro-cinema. Before further drama ensued the cops were in place to do their job.


February 04, 2020 14:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.