3 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

My name is Douglas Merit, and I am thirteen years old. Everyone in town has nicknamed me "Dennis" after the television and comic book star "Dennis the Menace," which I haven't a clue as to why. You see, all I ever did was dig up our next door neighbor, Mrs. Tuttles geraniums, shoot at Mr. Scott's wienie dog through his fence with my slingshot, and someone claims I pulled the school fire alarm, darn camera. I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody. Let me say it like this, we have one grocery store, one gas station, one volunteer fire department, oh, and lastly our town drunk Mr. Elmer. Everyone treated Mr. Elmer like the park bench which he usually slept on...in that no one bothered him...except to donate a dollar to him. On this summer day, I went to the park to play and I passed by Mr. Elmer. He wasn't in his usual stance of lying down-he happened to be sitting up, and there was an illuminated glow around him. I stopped...closed and rubbed my eyes...and as I reopened them, the glow was seemingly brighter. Then, as I continued to look, a voice inside my head spoke so softly but clearly and said, "Mr. Elmer will become a hero." I felt compelled to believe what I just heard. Although, I must admit I turned around to see if someone was pranking me, but it wasn't. I asked Mr. Elmer did he hear that voice, and see the glow around him? He stood on his feet (the first time I remember him in an upright position). He responded, "I do feel a little different because usually the first thing I want when I wake up is a drink, but..but now I don't want a drink." We talked a bit more, but I was so excited to tell someone what I saw and heard. I was off like a shot heading for home. When I arrived, I burst through the door and excitedly told my mom and dad what I saw and heard. Expecting them to be excited as well...I was shaking as I told them...mom said, "That's nice dear, and dad's answer was " Son, once a drunk, always a drunk." Still excited, I left the house. I saw Mrs. Tuttles in her yard. I shared my premonition with her, and her reply, Dennis, you know that's not going to happen. Just stop that fibbing." I left there determined to have someone believe me, but everyone I told either laughed or simply said I was crazy. After so many disappointments, I began to wonder did I really see and hear these things. In that moment, I heard the sound of the volunteer fire truck. I didn't see any smoke so it couldn't be a fire. I immediately ran toward where the truck was headed on Main Street. I was only a short distance from where the commotion was coming from. They were loading Hayley-my friend- into an ambulance. She was talking and awake... seemingly okay. I asked, what happened? They said, Hayley was almost hit by a car, but Mr. Elmer managed to get her out of the way. It was then I saw Mr. Elmer, standing tall. Eventually, they held a parade in his honor, and presented him with the key to the town. He cleaned himself up, and Mr. Foggerty gave him a job at the town bank. Who knew that Mr. Elmer had a college degree in business. This whole ordeal taught me a great deal. I had witnessed a truly great transformation in Mr. Elmer, so I began to think,if this can happen to Mr. Elmer, why can't I change, so I did. First, I refrained from my mischievous behavior and started treating people as I want to be treated...with respect. To show my change for the better, I asked Mrs. Tuttle's if I could help her in the yard, and she said yes. We agreed to what days I could help out. Secondly, I stopped shooting my slingshot at the neighbors Chihuahua. I even volunteered to walk some dogs for the elderly people. One day, I went by the bank. Mr. Elmer saw me and waved for me to come inside. The bank had no customers at the moment, so we talked for a few minutes. I began to tell him how glad I was he wasn't sleeping on a park bench any longer. He replied that he was happier than I was. He had a job and a place of his own. During the conversation, I told him about that particular day. I said that as I was passing by him, I saw him sitting up and he had this glow surrounding him. Then I told him what the voice said. He confessed to me, that's why he was sitting up. He said he heard the same words that he would become a hero. Then as I mentioned the glow around him, that's why he stood up because he felt a change inside. He went on to say that a determination to stop drinking instantly took place. He said that tried to tell me what he felt on that day, but he never had the chance. Mr. Foggerty came out of his office, smiled, and looked at me with the usual blank stare. "Good morning Mr. Foggerty," I said. This seemed to stun the middle aged gentleman. "G-ood morning," he stuttered back. "Clarence, I believe it's your break time. Why don't you and Den...I mean Douglas go have some ice cream on me," handing Mr. Elmer a ten dollar bill. We had great timing because the ice cream truck was coming down Main Street. We were both overjoyed to hear that familiar song. We both ordered our ice cream, paid for it, and received our change. The park was half a block from the bank, so we went there, back to Mr. Elmer's unfamiliar bench. We made a pact to meet here every week.

June 11, 2021 20:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Sudhir Menon
06:00 Jun 20, 2021

A saga of friendship - very well written. You may read and comment on my story, 'A Picture Goes Missing...' I have used the same prompt.

Reply

Don Lyons
19:31 Jun 20, 2021

Okay. Thanks for the kind review.

Reply

Sudhir Menon
10:45 Jun 22, 2021

Look forward to see your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.