ISAAC THE TWELFTH DRUMMER DRUMMING

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about a drummer going to a Halloween party for musicians.... view prompt

1 comment

American Contemporary Holiday

December 19, 2020, was fast approaching. Isaac and Jacqline were busy with their first holiday party -- grocery shopping, libations for the homemade bar consisting of 2 large wine barrels and a huge polished granite countertop layed across, decorations, and ensuring the necessary sanitization measures were taken into account, as our story finds us in the middle of an advanced pandemic, one the likes no one saw coming in 2020.


"Isaac, did you remember to order some additional masks, just in case some guests don't bring one?" He responded with, "Oh yeah, all dialed-in with a 25-pack from the local hardware store. How are you coming with the decorating?" Jacqline gave a thumbs up and blew him a sweet kiss to show she was all over it. Hard to believe this would be the first time they hosted a holiday party in his home.


Isaac's home was amazing! 3 bedrooms, albeit with only 1 bath (of which 12 guests were invited and our 2 hosts would have to use at some point during the evening), large family room with corner sectional seating, and a humongous bonus room complete with another corner sectional seating arrangment, a multipurpose game table (adjusts between air hockey, table tennis, and pool), and a jukebox. The decor was urban with a mix of eclectic art gallery (original paintings that reached from floor to ceiling, propped on the floor leaning at a small 20-degree angle to allow for placement.)


Yet, the one room in his house -- his music room. Not just any music room, as this was a full commercial studio complete with sound board, mixers, numerous speakers, monitors, several guitars, and a drum set that was an acoustic-electric (the likes of which were rarely seen.) You see, Isaac had a musical heritage that was notable, as his father was a member of the band "We Three Kings of Oakland Afar", purveyors of rock & roll, funk, and jazz. Isaac shared once how his father traveled with the band around the United States playing in such notable clubs as Whiskey-a-go-go, The Viper Room, House of Blues, and even some major hotel venues for VIP's of great social and political notoriety. Isaac was proud to carry on his father's legacy of music, especially when it came to drums.


"Hey babe, who did you say RSVP'd for the party? I know only a handful of your friends, so just want to be prepared." Isaac lovingly responded with a hug and kiss, "Fear not, you are amazing, beautiful, gorgeous, and you will bring that 'wow-factor' that I've come to know and love. Right now, we've got half the guests RSVP'd plus you and me, so there should be 8 of us. Sean and Marie said they were coming over, and you know how Marie is when it comes to music! Chances are she'll be singing or rocking out while dancing as I play for the shindig." Jacqline laughed uproariously, as she met Marie and Sean over the summer and they welcomed her into their circle and their home with open arms.


"Anyone notable coming over that I should be prepared for? You know how shy I can be when it comes to VIP's at times." "Oh gosh, let me think. I know Randy from 'Chosen' will be here with his wife, Karry; Steve from 'The Cutshaw Family & Family Band' will be coming as well; and already mentioned Sean and Marie, so that makes 5. Oh gosh, how could I forget Donnie Anmaurey?! He texted me earlier today and said he'd be bringing his 12-string electric guitar and doing a version of 'Bopping Around the Holiday Tree'." Jacqline smiled and nodded her approval, as she felt most comfortable knowing Sean and Marie would be there. Yet, something kept troubling Jacqline -- that one time Marie did a "Beatles-leap" with an Epiphone electric guitar in front of her and Isaac one evening after dinner. Jacqline knew Marie was hip; just didn't want her to break a hip.


The night of the party came and all the guests that RSVP'd were arriving around the same time. Everyone was dressed in sweaters and jeans, yet the ladies all accentuated their holiday party ensembles with some gorgeous heels of various colors. Eggnog and brandy mixed well for the libation along with craft beers and white zinfandel wine for those who wanted something with a bit more kick. Food was catered by Jonathan's Cookies & Pizzas, a new local specialty eatery that was taking the town by storm. So far, a great time was being had by all.


About the time Isaac piped up and said he was about ready to start playing his set of original Christmas tunes written for the party, a knock came at the door. Isaac opened the door and saw two mature gentlemen, both quite gray and white in hair, somewhat paunchy in the midsections, yet dressed to the nines in bright paisley long sportcoats, leather slacks, and cowboy boots. Isaac was happy to greet these men, but he was taken aback at their presence and their immediate knowledge of him, as they both greeted him in unison, "Hey Sonny-boy, great to see you again! Sorry we didn't get to RSVP in time, as we just finished a Christmas gig in Walnut Creek at the Marriott and thought we'd come right over."


Isaac was pleasant, smiled, and said, "Thanks for coming, guys, but I have to apologize and say that you have the better of me. Who are you?" The taller of the two men, his hand grasping a guitar case that would carry a Gretsch '59, chuckled and said, "You don't remember us? No wonder, you were just a teen when you saw us last. We're the last two members of your father's former band! I'm Peter Powell and this is Maury. Don't mind him -- he prefers to go by just the one name now. Figured if those hotties from the 90's can do it, so can he."


With tears in his eyes and a smile on his face, Isaac gave each man a bro-hug, tightly grabbing onto them as he remembered his father even more fondly from those times the three guys would play together -- his father on drums and percussion, Peter on guitar, and Maury on bass. "Oh my gosh, guys, come on in and meet everyone!" As Isaac made introductions, Steve shook both men's hands and said, "You probably don't remember me, but I've got a story as to the first time I saw you in concert in San Francisco. If I'd known you were coming over, I'd have brought your album 'Live from Golden Gate Bridge' that you autographed for me way back in the day." All three men laughed.


"So, Isaac, you okay with us being here unexpected? We were hoping you'd do us a favor and jam with us, as we have some new music we'd like to hear you accompany us on. Looking forward to hearing what your friends all have to say as well." Isaac was overwhelmed with emotion and joy. "Dudes, love to! I've got some holiday tunes I've written as well for drum solos, but if you could jam with me as well, I'd dig it."


As everyone grabbed food and beverage and lined the hallway as best as possible, the three primary musicians went into Isaac's home studio, set up, and plugged in. This would be the first time Isaac ever played with anyone of the caliber of these two musicians who were truly brothers in music with his father way back when.


Isaac said, "I've got these three songs written for the season. First is a love song for Jacqline -- it's called 'Angel On Top of My Tree'. I'll play with soft brushes and light sticks, mellow. Here's the sheet music, so jump in where you can." As the trio played this new instrumental, Jacqline went over by Isaac and smiled broadly, holding her glass of straight eggnog. After that song was done, Isaac got a huge kiss from his sweetie, a huge round of applause, and a towel to wipe away the perspiration of being both nervous and warm, as this area was small with all the people. "Hey Sean, can you go turn the air on, dude? You know where the thermostat is," Isaac asked. Within minutes, the house was a pleasant 72 degrees.


"So what's next?" asked Maury. "My other new song for the season is along the lines of rockabilly on drums. It's called 'Mrs. Claus And Her Silk Stockings'. Here's the music, let's do this." You could tell Isaac's nervousness had subsided, as he felt as though the spirit of his father was in him, as the musical connection he made with his dad's former bandmates was exhilirating.


After much applause, the guests all shouted, "Encore, encore!" and held up their mobile devices, all lit with their flashlight apps. "Okay, one more song. Steve, Donnie, Randy -- got some extra guitars if you want to join in. Great Scott, you all could be brothers! Marie, care to be on keyboard? Jacqline and Sean, feel free to add in background vocals as you see fit. This one's got a classic rock feel. It's called 'Rockin' the Jingle Balls'."


After a rousing jam session, fist bumps, elbow bumps, and pandemic air hugs were shared, as everyone came to realize that Isaac truly had musical talent passed down from his father. So impressed were the two former bandmates that they asked Isaac if he'd play for their Christmas Eve show at the Omni in downtown San Francisco. "Isaac, being the twelfth drummer we've auditioned drumming, and with your skins so tight, won't you be our drummer that night?" Isaac heartily responded, "I'll come and join you, rum-pum-pum pum...me on my drums."

December 19, 2020 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

✨Abby ✨
22:54 Jan 18, 2021

Great story! You had many awesome describing words and the ending was amazing. keep up the great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.