1 comment

Kids

The twins sat in the back of the car, eagerly waiting to see their new home. As soon as the estate grounds came into view, they forgot the iPad. Just off Settlement Road, the car turned onto a small, barely perceptible dirt path. Not long after they turned onto the unmarked laneway, a large hedge sprung into view, lining their course. 


They had to have traveled a couple of miles before the entrance came into sight. Large, wrought iron gates loomed before them, blocking their path. It had to be at least 15 feet high, Edu insisted. Ethos was sure it was higher than that. 


Les rolled down the driver's side window as she pulled the car up to the gate. She put the car in park. "Can you hand me my purse, please, Har," she asked. He pulled it up from the floor, passing it over to her. She smiled as she took it and began to rummage for the note.


She triumphantly pulled out a small piece of paper and examined it. Carefully entering a six-digit code into the keypad outside her window, she then placed the paper back into her bag. 


The gate swung slowly open. Edu grabber her brother's elbow and squeezed. She could hardly contain her excitement. Like most twins, her brother was just as eager to see their new home. The elation moved like a wave between them. It felt almost tangible to the twins. Like a weight holding them in place until they were permitted to run amok, they longed to analyze this bizarre place. 


"So, we have to go to the Manor first. Then we'll get to see our new home," Les announced. She glanced into the rearview mirror. Tes was content to sit there, staring off, acknowledging nothing as silent tears rolled down her cheeks while the twins were ready to burst. 


The road was winding and hilly. Les drove slowly along so they could all admire the scenery. Looking at the natural landscapes, with trees and flowers placed seemingly at random, she recalled Royal Pawlmoor's descriptions. He hardly did it justice. It was tranquil and beautiful. 


She realized if she had to describe it, she would probably come up short as well. She'd seen all this daily the last few weeks yet was still stunned by its natural beauty. 


Along their route was a roundabout, encircled with tall hedges that blocked out everything along the driveway. As they came through the hedge line, a Mansion rose majestically before them. Even Tes couldn't hide her surprise. 


"Mom, some crazy guy is waving at us." Edu pointed from the middle back seat. It took Les a moment to see him upon the steps. He was waving with such exuberance he looked like he might fall over. 


It reminded her of the family dog she'd had growing up. It used to wag it's tail so fiercely that its whole body couldn't help but move from the momentum. She smiled. "That's our host and my new boss."


"Welcome," Royal was calling as they pulled up in front of him. "Hello! Hello! Hello! Look at all the Phalens' gracing these lands. Fantastic! Isn't today stimulating?" He leaned into the open window, beaming at everyone inside. "Nice to finally meet all of you," he said cheerfully. 


"Rupert will be around in a moment to lead you to your new home." He started to check all his pockets rather hastily. Finding what he sought in the inside pocket of his jacket, he presented Les with a set of keys. "We can go over which keys are for what as you get to know the property. The keys with the purple tags are for your home. Sorry, I like to colour-code everything."


He looked around. "Oh, here comes Rupert now." A golf cart pulled up beside their car. A young man was driving it, dressed in a well-tailored suit. The scene had an odd contrast to it. Rupert nodded to everyone and tipped his imaginary hat. 


With a refined yet warm English accent he greeted them. "Welcome. I'll be leading you down to your home. Whenever you're ready. Let me just say, it's nice to meet everyone. I hope you find your harmony here."


Edo seemed enthralled with Rupert. Ethos looked from his sister to the 'guy'. He couldn't see what she was so enamored with. "Are you a butler or something," he asked boldly. He eyed Rupert down. 


"In a sense, yes, I suppose I am." Rupert smiled, unruffled. Ethos wasn't sure how to respond to that. Les spoke up, "we're ready, thank you, Rupert." Royal retreated to the steps while Rupert pulled the little cart ahead of the car and started down a path off to the left. She slowly followed, still trying to soak in as much of the view as possible. 


"Mom? When we get to the house, can Edu and I go exploring," Ethos asked in his sweetest tone. If that guy was sticking around, he'd rather be anywhere else. Les glanced over to Harland who nodded. "Sure, but stick nearby. I won't claim either of you if you get lost on the first day," Harland joked. 


No sooner had the car stopped, the twins jumped out, slamming the door as they went. Ethos grabbed his twins' arm and pulled her toward the hedge behind the house. Edu smiled and waved to Rupert as she was towed away. "Ow, E, come on," she said plaintively. "Oh sorry, E," he grimaced, loosening his grip.


She started to slap the arm that held her, telling him to let her go. "What's your damage, E?" She finally shook him loose. "Sorry! I... I just wanted to check out the property. Look around, E, this place is our own forest! We should build a treehouse. I bet Tes would even help. Let's go scout out a spot!" He sounded apologetic, so she relented. She extended her arm, offering him the lead. 


At the back corner of their yard was a small opening in the foliage. Without hesitation, Ethos led her onward. Just beyond a small patch of dirt which lined the shrubbery was a path. They couldn't see any other houses through the dense vegetation that served as the property lines. 


After walking, pointing, and laughing for an uncertain amount of time, Edu spied what looked like a treehouse in the crook of a tree. 'Look," she exclaimed. Making their way towards it, they found a little path that looked to head towards their destination. 


It had become a bit overgrown, but they found they could squeeze through. They raced to the foot of the tree. The trunk was so large. It would take at least four adults to put their arms around it. As they walked around, taking it in, they found some wooden ladder steps hammered into the trunk. 


Impetuous Ethos scurried up as quickly as he was able. With a sigh, Edu followed with careful movements. She joined him inside the little house, stunned at its state. It looked like a small home! 


Inside they saw two little beanbag chairs off to one side. They noted an old icebox and a little jar being used to hold some cutlery. The room had a portable sink set up, as well. Above it was an old crate with plates, bowls, and cups. 


Edu had found a sturdy rope ladder that led them upwards. There's a little bedroom above the main room. Inside are two beds with a nightstand in between. Upon the stand is a little lamp. To the right of the entry, sits a wardrobe. In the far corner, they saw another rope ladder, half obstructed by the tall bureau. 


Without more than a cursory once over, they decided to move upwards again. Here stood a room with only one bed and some furniture. Someone situated a chest of drawers off to one side. Above it, a window had been opened to the fall air.


They noticed a very realistic door painted on the wall across from the foot of the bed. Someone had installed a doorknob into it. Weird, the twins thought as they gave it a closer inspection.


Just as Ethos reached out to see if the knob would turn something soft fell on them from above. Another rope ladder. They looked at each other. "What do you think, E," inquired he. "I think we will definitely have to come back, E," said she, gleaming with the excitement of adventure. They weren't sure how long they'd been here and didn't want to upset their parents. After some discussion, they agreed to head back down. They could explore starting with the bottom and working their way up. 


Down and down they went to the first room. As Ethos helped his sister off the ladder, someone gave a small cough. Edu fell on her brother in her surprise. Tangled and panicked, the twins struggled to right themselves, looking around to see who was with them. There, near the entrance stood the silhouette of an adult. 


Standing then brushing themselves off, they started to offer their apologies, stammering to explain who they are. After a minute of incoherent babbling, in unison they said, "We are so very sorry." The adult stepped into the light and glided down gracefully onto one of the beanbags. 


The twins introduced themselves individually. "You two are, E, aren't you," the androgynous voice queried. Everything about this person was unusual for the children. They were only ten and had never met someone who they couldn't say was definitively male or female. There were masculine and feminine features of this individual. More than anything, they didn't want to say the wrong thing to someone whose home they may have invaded. 


Edu offered "you have a lovely home here." Their senior laughed. A happy sound. It made them relax a fraction. "Oh, we don't live here. This was our son's treehouse. Do you really like it?" They nodded. "Well, if you want to use it, go ahead. We'd rather see it put to good use. We built this to be enjoyed." "Are you sure," they asked at the same time. 


"Without question," the stranger responded. "We are Dalherty. You may call us Dal. When did you finally move to the estate," Dal asked genially. They were so confused by the words of Dal. They knew the words but hadn't heard them ever put into that order before. Remembering there had been a question in there, Edu replied, "We just arrived today." 


"Welcome to the neighborhood," Dal said warmly, extending their arms. "Thank you," E said together. "We hope you like it here. You can go anywhere on the grounds. But don't be shocked if an adult pops up when you least expect. We have certain... Security measures set up. When we get the call, we have to make sure everything is safe and sound on the grounds. This place is a sanctuary in its essence. Oh, we envy you! You have so much to learn still."


There was an awkward silence when suddenly a beep came from Edu's back pocket. "Sorry, sorry," she demurred as she pulled out her new iPhone and tapped the notification. "It's Ma. She wants to know when we'll be back." 


Another beep. Edu and Ethos look together. 


*No rush, just putting on some dinner. Try to come home within the hour please. Luv, Ma*


Dal injected, "Tell you what. Our home is just a little ways away. We're going to leave you two to it. Take your time. And please, come back whenever you like. We bequeath this place to E." Dal gave a graceful half courtesy, half bow. "Should you need anything, ever, please don't hesitate to ask. I hope we all grow to be great friends." With that, they made their leave. 


Unsure of how long it would take to get home, they decided to head back right away. They found their way without incident. It didn't take nearly as long as they'd feared. Winded from running the whole way, they stumbled back into their new yard. They panted their way up to the back door. Huffing, puffing from the exertion. They could smell dinner wafting from the kitchen. Looking at each other, inhaling the scent of roast beef, little tummies growled. 


"Next time," Ethos said, "we bring some snacks. Gah! That smells good."

He pushed passed his sister, using his extra inch of height to leverage her behind him. They raced to the kitchen.


"Juice boxes and crackers. On the island, you two" Les said as her children rushed in to critique her endeavor. Pushing them away from the stove playfully, they ran around the island once before sitting and snacking. "Wow, you got home fast. Another half-hour, before you start pestering me," Les stated, waving her wooden spoon at them. A mock threat. "So, find anything cool," she asked while they slurped and chomped at their viddles. 


They took a moment to swallow. Edu knew her brother would expect to go first. She sipped her juice. Excitedly, he told her all about their find. "Nice!" Les had been told about the treehouse and was happy they found it so quickly. 


Finally, Edu said " We met someone. Their name is Dal." She grabbed another cracker and scarfed it down. The scent of dinner made her feel very hungry. Les bristled for a moment. She had to weigh her words carefully. In truth, she had met Dal and liked them very much. She was just very unaccustomed to new adults introducing themselves to her kids without her. 


Relaxing, she smiled. "Dal's really interesting, eh? Maybe one day you'll listen to their story." "Why don't you just tell us, ma," Ethos asked petulantly. "Because it's not my story to tell." She winked at her kids and went back to tend the gravy. After a moment, she turned back to her kids. 


"You know, Dal is one of the kindest people I've ever met." Edu had been brewing up the nerve to ask her mom a question. She felt embarrassed but wasn't sure why. Finally, tentatively she asked, "but who is Dal, ma?"


"Dal is Rupert's parent. Dal is a friend. And more importantly, Dal is kind of in charge of keeping the kids around here both safe and inspired." She thought for a moment. "But if any adult ever weirds you out, tell me or your dad or your sister, okay. I don't care if they say they'll have your favorite show canceled. You let someone know right away, okay?" 


"We know, ma! We know. Dal seemed okay," Ethos said with exasperation. "We will, ma," Edu said. And she meant it. Maybe Ethos wouldn't admit it, but there had seemed to be a warm glow about Dal. She felt oddly curious about their nature. One day maybe Dal will explain to them why Dal is plural. She wasn't sure of how else to think about the unusual conversation. But she was very glad they'd made an interesting new friend on their first day here. 


May 27, 2020 05:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anjali Malik
03:06 Jul 24, 2020

Hey Mala, I liked your story very much. Plot of the story was really intersting. Loved it! 🖤🖤

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.