2 comments

General

From a young age, I’ve always wanted to help people, particularly children. I finally made my dream come true. I have been a pediatrician for a little over a year now. I have simple and fun tactics to keep my children calm and happy. I sing the doc mcstuffins theme songs when i’m about to start a check up. 

One day I was singing the song to a two year old girl because she was freaking out that I was going to check her. I just started singing, “Time for a checkup, time for a checkup! I'm gonna check your ears, check your eyes, find out how much you've grown. Time for a checkup! Then I listen to your heart beat, fix you up, ready to go. Time for a checkup!” Within a couple seconds she just stopped crying and started laughing. Without my knowing her mother was recording the whole thing. She said that it was the best thing she has ever seen. “We’ve gone to so many pediatricians and you’re the first that can keep her calm.”

 I felt so grateful to have been the person who can put smiles on peoples faces. That's why I do what I do. I want to provide the best health care to children without scaring them. When I used to go with my brother to doctor appointments, I would see that he would be freaking out. I always thought that I didn’t want children to be that scared when they see me. 

When the mom recorded me, she asked if she can share it with people she knows. I didn’t think much of it so I said yes. She posted the video. Within the next twenty-four hours, the video went viral. 

The next morning, everything was relatively normal. Except that I was receiving a lot of new clients when I logged into my computer. I didn’t think much of it, so I went on to accept the clients. I went to Starbucks before I headed to work to grab some coffee for those who work with me. When I was inside of starbucks, people were looking at me and smiling. I was creeped out. I thought it was that I had something on my face, or that I had something on my clothes. When I left Starbucks, my daughter kept texting me. But I was driving so I couldn’t look down to answer her messages. When I got to my office, I saw a lot of cars outside. Which was unusual because I usually take appointments only. I entered the office and asked my co-workers, I asked why there were so many people outside. “Do I have a lot of people scheduled?” They told me, “Didn’t you see. You're going viral. A lot of people want to come to you now.” I was confused what they meant by that I was going viral.  I looked at the video that the lady posted and saw that I had over 500,000 views. It was a complete shock. “No wonder people were looking at me more than usual.”

I went outside to talk to the people who were waiting. They all wanted to see if I could see their child. I didn’t want to be rude and tell them no. So I said yes. The reason I have people scheduled is to give my best service without being rushed. I knew if I took them in that I wouldn’t be able to have that, but I couldn’t just have them go. I went one by one to each kid and sang them the song. I ended up staying about one hour overtime. 

When I get home, I have a routine. I cook for my family, wash the dishes then watch a movie with my kids. After that I go through my emails, from work and personal. When going through my personal email, I saw an email from the Ellen show. She wanted me to appear on her show. She wanted to ask me about my career path and my “method.” I told my daughter and she was jumping up and down. She asked, “OMG reply Mom.” I was sceptical about it. Not because I didn’t want to go but I didn't want to exploit my passion. I told her, “I don’t know hunny. I feel like if I do it then it will only be for the reason that I want to be famous. I mean isn’t that the reason why people go. My daughter explained that people do that but not always. “People also go to the Ellen show to show something they are passionate about.” That gave me an idea. I emailed Ellen and asked if we can do a fundraiser for children's hospitals. 

The next day, she replied with yes. Within the next week, I was on the Ellen show. It was an amazing experience. She asked me what type of activity I want to do. I asked if I can bring one of my patients and sing the song that I do. I brought in Julia, she is one of my longest patients. She has a brain tumor, but lives her life like it's her last. When I asked if she wanted to do it, there was no question asked and she said yes. She is the funniest girl I have ever met. When we were singing the Doc McStuffins check up song, she basically took over and sang the song with her own twist. At the end, Ellen announced the check towards the children’s hospitals. Julia bursted into tears because she knew that money was going into one of the hospitals she gets her treatment at. I made a speech at the end. “I came onto the Ellen show. Not to make me more famous or anything but to show other pediatricians that we don’t have to scare children. I love children. Children should have a chance for their own future. With the help of pedestrians all over the world and hospitals, we can make that possible for them. The children are our future, let’s make sure they can witness the future. 


April 24, 2020 04:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Aubrey Maria ✌
16:31 Apr 26, 2020

I love the whole process of the story going viral!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kerry Williams
05:12 Apr 30, 2020

This is a really lovely feel-good story. If I could give you any advice it would be to proofread again, or ask somebody else to proofread as we often miss our own mistakes. This is just because there a few minor errors, eg. in the second to last sentence is says 'pedestrians' rather than pediatricians. Great story though!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.