2 comments

General

January 1 1966,

Mom is mean today. We have no electricity. There is commotion in the neighborhood. She is mad. She thinks that I might dash out and meet local boys and rioters. School was fun today. We had a test and I think that I bombed. My dad is in his room again. I don't know what is wrong with him. Please Lord do not let him be sick or worse, be unemployed.....Yack!!!!


February 10 1966,

Sorry diary, I missed you. I was too busy with exams. My dad got laid off. Yayks. Mom is not happy at all. Like a lady that she is, she is playing it cool. I turn 16 next month. I hope that I will have a birthday celebration of some sort. A cake at least. I do not see my parents having a party for me, given what has happened. My sisters are all bulimic, I doubt if they care so much about what to eat or if there will be food. My mom might bake me a cake. I promise to praise her and make her feel good. I am sure I want a cake from the bakery. "Ohhh Dad!!! What did you do? What did you do?"


March 11 1966,

My dad surprised all of us with goddies for my birthday. He asked us to invite our friends and we will have a mini pool party. I am afraid to ask where he got the money from because he is still unemployed. Our friends are all coming. Thank God mom bought friend chicken from the local supermarket. We do not have to cook or do anything which will make us grummpy. I did not get a good present though. My mom and dad bought me a set of bottles of nail polish and nail polish remover. That is a weired gift even for them. I bet it was the cheapest or maybe a free gift with purchase from their shopping spree.


January 1 1968,

Diary it is finally here, Graduation day. I am finally finished with high school. My graduation gown is here. My family and relatives will be with me when I graduate! I am sooooooo excited!!!!!!!! The war is still going on. My parents try to shield us from the news so that we do not find out about what is happening to Americans.


March 20 1969,

I was in a car accident and I broke my ankle. I am wearing a brace and I need crutches in order to walk. I saw Sam with Fern the other day. They looked sooooooo happy, I am jealous. Seriously, diary I am jealous. I do not even have friends anymore. They all went to college. I don't know, I just don't feel ready to leave home.


January 29 1972,

What was I thinking? I waited for so long to go to college. It is soooo much fun. I met feminists from the west coast. I met nice young men from Europe. There is a group of Africans who are always asking me to join their club. I actually spoke to someone from the middle east!!!!. I cannot believe how fat I have gotten though. What is that all about? I study and sleep. I guess that is what the problem is. I no longer feel suicidal at all. I should watch what I eat. There are so many crazy diets that are recommended!! I think that I will be bulimic like my sisters!!! The war is still going on. The news is bleak. The protesters have turned to pot and welfare. They lost most of their productive years protesting the war. I see most them walking past our house and hear them complain about food prices and how everything is just dumb.


December 31 1973,

I am on a date, diary... I can't talk right now!!!! See you next year!!!


August 9 1974,

Dear diary, I am sooo upset and lost, President Nixon resigned. What is going to happen to us. We are still at War with Vietnam, now this!!!. I just graduated from college. I am not going to go around the country protesting his resignation. Sorry diary, I need a job and a husband!!!!!!!


April 3 1976,

I am going to Europe for the first time for a short vacation. I hope that he will propose marriage. I think that I am ready. Dad has asked me twice about him. He liked him when he first met him. I think that dad is ready to get married to him. If I ever saw a male crush, it is between my dad and my boyfriend!!! It is so painful to watch my dad desperate to disapprove of someone whom he obviously admires and likes very much.


August 28 1976,

I have been so busy diary. You cannot believe what has happened to me. One day I will tell you about it. The war finally ended. The country is bleeding. My husband is thinking of running for office. Imagine, he is thinking of running for office. He is not considering me and my feelings. I now know why my dad had a crush on him.


January 2 1977,

My husband is serious about running for office. I am going around like a headless chicken seeking help. I met with someone who promised to morph me into a politician's wife with a hairstyle and therapy. I also am attending classes to improve my manners. I have had to take voice lessons to correct my diction. I am taking classes to remind myself of common facts. I do all of this with a fulltime job. I do not forsee us having children anytime soon. My husband is obsessed with those who are returning from Vietnam and those who lost opportunities or delayed their lives as a result of having to protest the war. He goes around the country fundraising hoping to make a change. He is sure that he will have a chance to improve the lives of Americans. I on the other hand am worried that I will not be effective at work with so much travel. I swear, I will keep my job up to the very last minute. Also diary, once we take a stand on issues, I worry that I will have to defend myself or I will have to justify most of what my husband says. A position that I do not look forward to. Our office is very relaxed. There is free flow of information ranging from the news to the media and to any topic or discussion that anyone wants to discuss. I have managed to avoid all of it diary all these years and then suddenly my husband is running for office. Yayks... that puts me in a bad spot. We'll see diary we'll see.


January 10 1977,

Life is busier than I anticipated Diary. I am well. I am not pregnant. I lost a lot of weight. I also look different than I did last year. My husband is still campaigning. We are juggling schedules. I also have my family living nearby on a rental to help me if I need help. My dad is always helping with everything that we need. I can tell now that my husband is doing what he wanted to do but could not do because of the war. All of it is tragic, tragic I tell you.

Sic






April 09, 2020 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Belle Kachtori
23:52 Apr 16, 2020

Good story! Readers can indirectly relate to the main character; her attempts to fit in, her worries about responsibility, and her thoughts and interactions with people around her. Your choice to incorporate history as well is very interesting! My only criticism is to be careful about the spelling (though I'm not sure if that was stylistic choice or not). Great writing!

Reply

Simanga Kunene
22:54 May 02, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.