Marianne's Vengeance: Dark Thoughts

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about anger.... view prompt

5 comments

Drama Fiction Suspense

This is a Fan-Fic story from Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility

Marianne's Vengeance: Dark Thoughts

Marianne walked briskly, her steps firm and purposeful as she moved through the lush countryside surrounding the Palmers' estate. Her mind, usually so full of romantic reveries and poetic musings, was now consumed by a dark storm of anger and betrayal. Each step seemed to echo the tumult within her soul, her heart beating in rhythm with the fierce determination that propelled her forward.

How could he? How could Willoughby, whom she had trusted so completely, whom she had loved so ardently, betray her so cruelly? The thought of him pledging his heart to another, to Miss Grey, of all people, was more than she could bear. Her fantasies, once filled with tender moments and loving words, were now dark and vengeful.

"I will confront him," she thought fiercely. "I will look him in the eye and demand an explanation. How dare he deceive me? How dare he pretend to love me, only to discard me for wealth and status? And Miss Grey—she will know the truth of her beloved’s character. I will not allow her to live in ignorant bliss while I suffer."

Marianne’s imagination conjured scenes of dramatic confrontations. She saw herself standing before a grand assembly, exposing Willoughby’s duplicity. She would tell everyone how he had led her on, how he had professed his love only to abandon her for another. She imagined the gasps of shock, the whispers of disapproval, and finally, the looks of disdain directed at Willoughby. His downfall would be complete.

But it was not just Willoughby and Miss Grey who fueled her anger. Marianne’s fury extended to the societal constraints that had allowed such a betrayal to occur. The rigid expectations placed upon women, the cruel judgments of propriety, the emphasis on wealth and connections over true emotion—all of it seemed a grand conspiracy to crush her spirit.

“Why must we women be at the mercy of such vile men? Why are we condemned to suffer in silence while they go on unscathed?” she raged inwardly. The very thought made her quicken her pace, her feet almost running along the path. The path seemed to mock her, winding aimlessly through the countryside, much like the senseless rules of the society she despised.

As these thoughts consumed her, the sky darkened, and the first drops of rain began to fall. They splattered against her face, cold and unrelenting, but Marianne did not care. The rain was a mere reflection of the tempest within her, and she welcomed it. It was as if the heavens wept with her, sharing her agony.

The rain poured with increasing intensity, transforming the open fields and desolate paths into a watery expanse. Marianne continued her march, her clothes now clinging to her form, heavy and soaked. Each step became more laborious, the wet ground sucking at her shoes, but she pressed on, her anger driving her forward.

“Curse this wretched weather!” she muttered through gritted teeth, the wind carrying her words away. “Curse the world that lets such treachery thrive!” Her voice was nearly lost in the storm, but her defiance was not. The elements, now wild and untamed, seemed to match her fury as if nature itself was conspiring against her.

Marianne’s body shivered uncontrollably, her teeth chattering as the cold seeped into her bones. But her mind, sharp and fiery, kept her moving. She railed against her vulnerability, cursing her frailty. “I will not be brought low by this!” she declared, her voice a whisper of determination. “I will not let them see me broken.”

The rain blurred her vision, droplets mingling with tears that she could no longer hold back. She wiped her face with a trembling hand, the gesture both futile and defiant. Her anger flared anew, each raindrop a reminder of her helplessness. The open fields offered no shelter, and the path seemed endless.

“Why must I endure this?” she thought, her mind a maelstrom of frustration and despair. “Why must I be the one to suffer, while he—while they—continue without consequence?”

As she stumbled forward, her strength waning, Marianne’s thoughts grew darker. The rain, once a symbol of her inner turmoil, now felt like a punishment. “What have I done to deserve this?” she cried out, her voice swallowed by the storm. “Why am I forsaken?”

But there was no answer, only the unyielding rain and the empty path before her. Marianne’s steps faltered, her anger and despair battling for dominance. She was a figure of tragedy and defiance, a lone soul railing against the injustices of her world, driven by a spirit that refused to be subdued.

Marianne, driven by the fervor of her anger, continued to wander deeper into a small wooded area. The trees offered scant shelter from the relentless rain, their branches bowing under the weight of the water. Each droplet that cascaded down felt like a further insult to her pride and a cruel reminder of her helplessness.

As she trudged through the underbrush, the first signs of her body's betrayal began to manifest. A shiver coursed through her frame, and fatigue, like a heavy mantle, draped itself over her shoulders. She paused, pressing a trembling hand to her forehead, feeling the onset of a headache that throbbed with a dull persistence.

"Cursed be this wretched storm," she muttered, her voice hoarse with emotion. "And cursed be this frail body, which fails me now, when I most need my strength."

Her anger did not abate; rather, it intensified as her physical condition deteriorated. Marianne, always so spirited and full of life, now found herself battling not only the elements but also her own weakening state. Her breaths came in short, labored gasps, each one a testament to the growing malaise within her.

The fever, that insidious enemy, began to take hold with a stealthy persistence. She could almost feel the invisible tendrils of illness winding their way through her body, sapping her strength and clouding her mind.

"Am I to be laid low by this... this cloud of death?" she wondered bitterly. "Is this to be my fate, to be felled by an invisible foe when I should be confronting those who have wronged me?"

Her steps grew more unsteady, and she leaned heavily against the trunk of a tree, seeking some semblance of support. The world around her seemed to spin, the shadows of the forest merging with the haze of her fevered mind. She was a warrior, felled not by the might of her enemies but

Stumbling through the wood, Marianne's eyes alighted upon the pathway to Willoughby’s estate. Summoning the last vestiges of her strength, she made her way towards it, her movements now sluggish and pained.

Her legs finally gave way, and she collapsed on the edge of a hill, the relentless fever consuming her strength, her vision blurring as she succumbed to exhaustion.

As the hours passed, her condition worsened, the fever tightening its grip with merciless tenacity. She lay there, her body racked with chills, her mind a tempest of anger and despair. "How could I have been so foolish?" she thought, her eyes staring unseeingly at the roiling clouds above. "How could I have placed my trust in Willoughby, so blindly, so completely?"

Her anger towards him was a blazing fire, consuming her thoughts. She recalled the tender moments they had shared, now tainted by the bitterness of his betrayal. Each memory was a dagger to her heart, each recollection a reminder of her own naivety.

"Society, with its endless charades and false pretenses," she fumed silently. "It is this very society that enabled such treachery, that cloaked his true nature in the guise of respectability. How can one ever navigate its treacherous waters without being dashed upon the rocks?"

The fever's relentless progression left her body aching and her mind in turmoil. Her skin burned with the heat of the fever, while her limbs felt as though they were encased in ice.

Marianne's thoughts turned inward, reflecting on the harsh lessons she had learned. "I was too quick to believe, too eager to trust," she admitted to herself. "I allowed my heart to rule my head, and now I pay the price."

She shifted on the wet grass, trying to find some comfort in her miserable state. She was alone, battling not only her illness but the weight of her own disillusionment. As the fever surged, she cried out in frustration, "Curse this wretched weather! Curse the world that lets such treachery thrive!" Her voice echoed in the empty space, a poignant testament to her suffering.

Marianne's anger, though fierce, could not shield her from the ravages of the fever. She lay there, caught in a tempest of emotion and pain, aware that her journey towards understanding and acceptance was far from over. The road ahead was fraught with uncertainty, but for now, she could do little more than endure.

The dim light of the dying day filtered through the nearby trees, casting a pale glow on Marianne’s face. Her body, though weakened by fever, was still driven by the fierce determination of her spirit. She struggled to rise, every muscle protesting against the effort, yet her anger lent her a fleeting strength.

With a trembling hand, she grasped the edge of a rock just off the path, attempting to pull herself upright. The fever had sapped her of much of her strength, but not of her resolve. "Willoughby," she muttered, her voice hoarse and cracked, "you coward! How could you betray me so?"

She pushed herself to a sitting position, her vision swimming and her head pounding. Her once radiant eyes now burned with a feverish light, her cheeks flushed with the unnatural heat coursing through her veins. The name "Miss Grey" escaped her lips like a curse, her resentment for the woman who had usurped her place in Willoughby's affections palpable in every syllable.

"Miss Grey," she spat, her voice rising in her delirium, "you usurper! Enjoy your ill-gotten happiness while you can!" She attempted to stand, but her legs buckled beneath her, sending her crashing back onto the ground. Pain and frustration mingled in her expression, but she refused to be cowed by her weakened state.

Her anger surged again, a fire that briefly illuminated the darkness of her despair. "I must return," she faintly whispered to herself, "I must confront them all. They must know the depth of my suffering, the magnitude of their deceit." But each attempt to rise was met with failure, her body betraying her determination.

In the throes of her fever, she delivered a passionate monologue, her voice rising and falling with her anguish. "Willoughby," she cried out, her voice echoing in the small space, "how could you deceive me so? How could you make me believe in a love that was never true?"

Her words were punctuated by fits of coughing, but she pressed on, driven by the intensity of her emotions. "Miss Grey," she continued, her voice dripping with scorn, "you may have his wealth and his name, but you will never have his heart. Enjoy your ill-gotten happiness while you can, for it is built on lies and betrayal."

Her voice grew softer, tinged with sorrow as well as anger. "What hope is there for us, when even love is tainted by such treachery? What solace can we find, when the very world we live in conspires against our happiness?"

Sometime in the night, Marianne bolted upright, with a strength from the depths of her soul. “If only I could see Elinor once more,” she whispered weakly, her voice barely audible. “If only I could tell her...”

The fever had broken slightly, leaving her in a state of delirium. Her thoughts drifted in and out of focus, mingling with fragments of memories and half-formed wishes. She remembered the happy times with Willoughby, their walks and conversations, his charm and seeming devotion. But those memories were now tainted, overshadowed by the bitter reality of his betrayal.

She closed her eyes, feeling the coolness of the dawn air on her fevered skin. The rage that had burned so fiercely within her had been extinguished, leaving only a hollow ache in its place. Marianne knew that she was too weak to continue her fight. She had been beaten, not by the elements or her illness, but by her own heart.

As the first light of dawn illuminated the landscape, the storm having finally passed, the sound of footsteps approached. Colonel Brandon, driven by a mixture of fear and hope, had found her at last. His heart ached at the sight of her frail, shivering form lying on the makeshift bed.

“Marianne,” he called softly, his voice filled with concern and tenderness. He knelt beside her, lifting her gently into his arms. Her head lolled weakly against his chest, her eyes fluttering open for a brief moment before closing again.

“Hold on, Marianne. You are safe now, my Dear,” Colonel Brandon whispered, his voice steady and soothing despite the turmoil in his heart. His attraction to her, already deep, grew even stronger in this moment of vulnerability and need.

She heard Colonel Brandon’s words through a fog of delirium, feeling a glimmer of hope despite her weakened state. His touch was gentle, his embrace firm and protective.

As he carried her down the path back to the Palmer Estate, Colonel Brandon walked with determined steps, each one bringing them closer to the promise of safety and recovery.

“Oh, Marianne, you must hold on,” he murmured, his voice a constant reassurance. “We are nearly there. Please find the strength. Find the strength for me.”

Her body was weak, but the strength of his arms and the steadiness of his voice gave her a renewed sense of hope. She clung to his words, feeling the weight of her anger and sorrow lift slightly. The promise of seeing her family again, of feeling their love and support, gave her the strength to endure the pain and exhaustion.

Colonel Brandon’s thoughts were a whirlwind of emotions as he carried her. He vowed silently to himself that he would do everything in his power to see her well again, to see her happy.

The journey back to the Palmers' estate was one of both urgency and tenderness. Each step he took was careful, mindful of her fragile state. The relief he felt upon reaching the estate was immense, knowing that she would soon be in the care of those who loved her.

As they approached the door, Colonel Brandon whispered once more, “You are safe, Marianne. You are home.”

June 15, 2024 03:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

11:30 Jun 25, 2024

Wow! I love the story. I saw the words 'Sense and Sensibility' and had to read it. This part, where Marianne is suffering so acutely really came to life, her anger palpable, her desperation so complete. Her raging against the way women were viewed and treated so true to the times. Amaaazing! It finished too soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
15:04 Jun 16, 2024

Beautiful one, Martin ! Just so you know, "Sense and Sensibility" is very much special to me, so this was a treat to read. Very vivid, this one. Also, horray for Colonel Brandon...including the real life ones ! Splendid work !

Reply

Martin Maynard
20:29 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
05:38 Jun 15, 2024

Very powerfully written! Vivid, deep emotions that harm the person experiencing them but not the ones who are the objects of the anger. A good lesson about anger and the damage it does to one who is angry. Well written with the style and language of that era. Flows and has a brisk pace. Very dramatic. Well done!

Reply

Martin Maynard
20:30 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.