0 comments

Historical Fiction

 Dear Abhi,

I received your email and from its contents I inferred that you are very disappointed and perturbed now. The reasons seem to be manyfold but the important ones, I gather, are the following:

1.    Your strained relationship with your boss, whom you suspect to have been instrumental in depriving you of a deserved promotion.

2.    Lack of freedom and encouragement to pursue innovative work in your project.

3.    Your perceived notion that your views are deliberately ignored while discussing your project.

These problems are relatively small when compared to the colossal problems faced by most people, including myself, when I was of your age several decades ago. I shall take you to an important historical event and the role played by one of the greatest leaders in our country, Subhas Chandra Bose.  

Subhas Bose was born into wealth and privilege in a large Bengali family in Orissa during the British rule in India. He was educated in the best schools and colleges, where he excelled in his studies. Like other privileged children of that era, he also went to England to appear for the Indian Civil Services examination (ICS) and return to India to join the elite service. He succeeded with distinction in the vital first examination and was preparing for the second when he received some disturbing news from India concerning the ill-treatment of Indian nationals and the strong protests made by the Indian National Congress party, led by Mahatma Gandhi, to the British Indian government.  The news excited his nationalism, and he decided not to appear for the ICS examination and return to India to join the Indian National Congress (INC) and fight against the British imperialism.

After joining INC, his first task was to meet the Congress working committee members and discuss what actions should be taken by the party. However, he was not happy with Mahatma Gandhi’s views of relying upon satyagraha or non-violence movement to register its protest. He believed in active retaliation.

For an enslaved people, there can be no greater pride, no lighter honor, than to be the first soldier in the army of liberation.”

The CWC were not in favor of opposing Gandhi’s views, compelling him to resign from the party and take his own action to liberate the country from British rule. Most of the people who have lived so many years in the British rule, it was an honor for them to be the first soldier in the army of liberation.  He chose to abandon the luxurious life as an ICS officer and follow the dictates of his conscience to lead a rough, uncertain life in quest of liberating the country and the people from British rule.

Subhas Bose, or Netaji (leader), as he was affectionately called, built the first-ever force against the British and named it, Azad Hind Fauj, (Independent Indian Army). He instilled in them great patriotism and inclusiveness. These were his words:

When we stand, the Azad Hind Fauj, must be like a wall of granite, when we march, the Fauj has to be like a steamroller.” 

Netaji was aware of the fact that with the “Azad Hind Fauj” alone it was not possible to fight the British army. He decided to form the “Indian National Army” (INA) comprising of Indian soldiers who fought in the British Indian Army and deserted the force to join INA at the call of Netaji. He also needed help from a big Axis power during World War II like Germany, or Japan to assist INA in the task of liberation. In 1941 he arrived in Nazi Germany to request help. He received equivocal sympathy for India’s independence and German funds were employed to open a “Free India Centre” in Berlin. A 3000-strong “Free India Legion” was recruited from among the POWs who were captured in the German campaign in North Africa against the British army.

In 1942 a radio service, “Free India Radio” was started under the leadership of Netaji and Adolf Hitler, which broadcast news bulletins in all Indian languages to encourage Indians to fight for the Axis powers.  On October 21, 1943, Netaji proclaimed the establishment of a provisional independent Indian Government, with headquarters in Japanese occupied Singapore and recognized by the Axis powers. Although it was short-lived owing to the defeat of Japan, it was the first independent India Government, with Subhas Bose as its Prime Minister.

Netaji was respected as a great iconic leader with undoubted patriotism and intense desire to see his motherland liberated from the British rule. However, his effort to seek help from fascist countries like Germany and Japan evoked criticism from various quarters including INC. The British government branded him as a traitor, which stuck to his name even after India became an independent nation governed by the principles of democracy.  In the case of Nazi Germany, the annihilation of millions of Jews in concentration camps worked against Netaji’s effort to seek help from the same people who committed those heinous crimes against humanity.

In reply to the INC’s satyagraha approach to achieve freedom, Netaji tells:

No real change in history can be achieved by discussions. It is blood alone that can pay the price of freedom. Give me blood and I will give you freedom.”   

In other words, Netaji emphasized that no ruler will willingly give up his sovereignty unless he is convinced of violent reactions if he continues to hold on to his empire. It is imperative to demonstrate this threat realistically.

Freedom is not given – it has to be taken.”

When somebody raised the point about so many people losing their lives in the battles, who may never see the fulfilment of the purpose of the battles, he said:

One individual may die for an idea, but that idea will, after his death, incarnate itself in a thousand lives.  Life loses half its interest if there is no struggle – if there are no risks to be taken.”

These words emphasize the fact that life is full of hardships and struggle. You have to take risks to be able to achieve your goal. If while executing the idea the individual dies, then that idea is communicated to thousands of others who will be inspired by it and continue the idea to its logical end.

Remember that the grossest crime is to compromise with injustice and wrong. Remember the eternal law: You must give if you want to get.”.   

When someone asked him why the INA was joining the Japanese forces in the south Asian front, he replied: “The secret of political bargaining is to look stronger than what you are.”    

Japan had overrun the countries in entire east Pacific region and was attacking the British empire through Singapore and Burma. The joint armed forces will appear formidable, enough to send them into a panic.

*********

Now, after going through the life sketch of Subhas Bose what are the inferences you can draw:

1.    If you are not on the same page with the leader of your party, regarding handling a particular problem, and you are convinced about your action plan, then it is best to leave the party and form your own group under your leadership. Then you can pursue your action plan in your own way and ensure success.

2.    Freedom of thought is essential for the citizens of any country if it wants to make progress. This is only possible if the country is independent and not ruled by a foreign power. If the country is not free, then there are two alternatives. Either make the country free by undergoing all the necessary sacrifices or compromise your principles and accept the sovereignty of the foreign power along with all its drawbacks.

3.    While framing your action plan you must look at the priorities in assessing the benefits. When your house catches fire your first task is to seek help to escape from the burning inferno. That is not the time to decide if the helper is a good man or a murderer! Generally, even murderers like to do good work on such occasions and would not take advantage. You can discuss the conditions for help, after you are safe. You need not be under pressure to accept his conditions if they are unfavorable.

4.    There are always risks in any action plan. If you fail once, you can change the action plan and try again. Risks should not be a deterrent to your action plan.

I hope your problems will be solved after considering the inferences from the life of Netaji. In case you wish to seek any further clarifications, please do not hesitate to write to me. I am always at your service to help you.

Yours’ lovingly,

Dad

August 25, 2023 06:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.