1 comment

Sad Suspense Kids

The Blind Child

A boy named Justin was born blind according to his mother. His mother loved him dearly and disregarded his disorder; she told him stories before bed, fed him with her own two hands, and gave him aplomb. One day Justin asked his mother “Why can’t I see the word you talk about before I sleep and why can’t I go outside to play with the others.” His mother tells him “Son you are special and the world abhors special people.” As she said that she said that she fondled Justin while hugging him and wiping his tears. She taught him how to read braille and homeschooled him while never letting him go outside due to her qualm of what others will think about him. He learned the periodic table when he was 11 and left his mother amazed. Sometimes though she would do a painful surgery on him which she said was for his betterment but he never knew what she did. Justin knew the layout of the house but he did notice that the door usually was locked and his loving mother hardly went outside. She told him that she worked in a stapler manufacturing facility and staple pins were all around the house. As Justin grew older he become more inquisitive about the outside world but he always remembered what his mother said. One day Justin peeked outside through a window and then in a trice, his mother pulled him away from the window. She elucidated to him the dangers of the outside world and said to him “Promise me, for what all I have done for you, never go outside I don’t want you to get hurt.” Justin spent all day playing with his toys but one day he heard his mother speaking on the phone which was rare. In a trice, she cut the phone and said to Justin “Son quickly pack your things because we need to go.” Justin replied, “Why, what happened mother?” She replied, “I can’t tell you that but keep your head down, remember our promise.” Both of them packed their things and got in their car meanwhile outside Justin could hear enigmatic police sirens. They both drove to a warehouse and his mother said to him “Son, I have always done the best for you but today you must cooperate, we need to sleep on the cold floor.” Both hurdled and hugged each other to sleep, while tears drove down poor Justin’s face. He slept thinking how his life was changing. The next morning Justin’s mother said to him “Don’t go outside the warehouse and stay here while mommy will look for a nice commodious place to stay.” Justin hid in the warehouse and grew bored, he started jumping and bouncing with zeal when something preternatural happened. He saw a beam of light somehow he could only see some light not all from the corner of his eye. He looked under himself and saw a stapler pin but his mother quickly come inside and said “I need to do the surgery again.” He replied, “Mother I could actually see for a second!” She replied, “It’s just an allusion and I am sorry to tell you that you are still suffering but Mommy will try her best.” His mother the next day took him to a different neighborhood to a different house. Justin frowned as he was flummoxed and worried. Seeing this, his mother bent on one knee and said to him “Feel what’s in my hand.” Justin felt his favorite toy and hugged his mother with a smile. One week after that day he still wondered to himself how he could see or what the sirens were. In the new household as he grew older he saw his mother becoming shrewder. She didn’t tell him bedtime stories or hand feed him, she was showing great apathy towards him. He thought it was a way to wean him off his baby ways in a way that would help him in maturing. She was constantly busy with phone calls and random emergencies. Justin grew tired when he was fifteen and self- contemplation consumed him. What if he was not blind or what if this was all a dream? The isolation was too much for him and so he touched his eyes whiling to peel back his skin in an act of desperation. When he did so he started to see a little bit and it was causing him anguish. He looked under himself and saw many stapler pins. One by one while his mother was gone, in front of the mirror he started peeling off the staplers. He could see again. At that moment a sense of self-realization hit that he was blinded but his eyelids were stapled to his skin. His mother used to install new ones which means his mother blinded him all his life. She fed him, gave him a roof, and gave him so much support but why would she do this to just ruin his life? That day when his mother came home and Justin went to open the door he heard uproarious sirens howling in the background. Outside some police officers had put his mother in fetters. He ran to his mother clinging to her knee desperately crying but the officers took her. The officers said to Justin “Don’t worry we will take you to your real mother, hop in the car.” Justin replied, “She is my real mother.” The officer said to Justin “You were kidnapped from the hospital when you were two by a mental Asylum patient, who tortured and blinded you so we wouldn’t know about your condition. I can’t imagine the situation you are in.” Before Justin could reply the police officer dragged him while he was shedding tears and thinking about how his whole life was a lie and as he sat in the back of the police car, he watched his mother be taken. The officer took Justin to the police station where he met his real mother who hugged him but he didn’t accept the hug as he couldn’t believe his eyes. He ran out of the police station on a stormy night on the highway. He ran trying to find answers. Lost and confused a truck came on the highway and ran the poor boy over in front of his mother which splattered all of it over her. His mother watched in tears as the murder of her son happened in front of her. How everything Justin knew crumbled from small signs which insinuated at his mother blinding him to finding the truth and killing himself.

“All that glitters is not gold.”

July 28, 2023 18:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ken Cartisano
03:22 Aug 03, 2023

Very funny, Laura. Dilshan. I once allowed a young fellow to pilot my boat. Despite motors and rudders, the fellow kept allowing the craft to veer much too close to the shoreline, raising the risk that we might run aground, while all the other boats traveling the same river kept a discrete, distinct distance from the shore. I pointed at the line of boats 30 meters away and said to the boy, 'Why do you suppose all the other boaters are over there, when you are over here? Is there something you know that none of those other boaters know?'...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.