Benny the Beetle Needed a Needle.

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an average day turned upside down by an unexpected visitor.... view prompt

4 comments

Kids

Benny the Beetle liked to help people. People liked Benny and Benny liked them. Benny helped people because people were friends. 


Willy the Weasel knew Benny the Beetle because they had played and were friends. Willie the Weasel liked Benny the Beetle and played with him again and again. They did things together like music and dance, and it was dancing that ripped Willy's pants. Willy went silly and jumped into splits, Benny the Beetle had heard the loud RRRIP. 


"What was that?" Asked Benny, upon hearing the noise.


"It was my pants!" Answered Willy, understandably annoyed.


"Well I guess I'll go home and fix my pants problem." But problems are problems and friends can help solve them. 


"You don't need to go home," Benny reasoned with Willy, "You just got here, and I want to keep being silly!" Willy looked up and said "What should we do? My pants are ripped in the back and you can see all the way through." Benny just smiled because there's something Willy did not know; Benny the Beetle was a Beetle that could sew! 


So, Benny the Beetle, smiling at his friend, said "Don't worry about that rip, it's a problem I can mend." Willy perked up, "You mean this rip here you can mend?" "I can sew it right up, my dancing weasel friend. In the meantime, I'll let you wear some of my pants, I know they'll be small, and be too tight to dance." Benny got pants that Willy squeezed in; Benny took the ripped pants and was ready to begin. Uh oh, they were missing one thing... A needle is needed to mend rips that are big!


Benny the Beetle needed a needle and needed it kind of quick; "I know!" Said Benny. I'll go see a friend and borrow a needle!" He wondered which friend he should pick. 


Benny the Beetle and Willy the Weasel set off to meet a friend; the Beetles pants were tight on Willy, did not feel great, and the situation needed to end. The friend in mind was not far away, just down the dirt road at a farm that smelled like hay. "Hey I smell hay, that means that we're close! A needle we'll find and a rip we will close!" Benny said as they happily made their way. 


Barney the Beagle knew Benny the Beetle for quite a very long time. He lived at this farm and had a good sniffer and thought the smell of hay was just fine. Benny the Beetle would tell Barney the Beagle he needed a needle and he knew that he would help; when Barney saw Benny round the corner, he was happy, so he let out a barking loud "yelp!" 


"Hey Barney! So nice to see you! I would like you to meet my friend, Willy!" Barney happily galloped over to the pair, slightly out of breath, because he was older and the dirt-road was hilly. 


As Barney the Beagle approached Benny the Beetle and Willy the Weasel he barked out, "Hey guys, how's it going?" Benny replied, "It's going OK, and I'm happy to be here, but there's something you should be knowing." "What is it?" said Barney, as he began to pant from the heat. "My friend here Willy ripped his pants, ripped them right in the seat!" 


"Oh," said Barney, "Well what can I do?"


"We need a needle," the beetle told the beagle. "It would allow me to sew. I have the thread I need, which is also something you should know." 


Barney looked at Willy and said, "Those beetle pants look tight." 


Willy replied, "It's nice to meet you Barney, and you sure got that right." 


"Well I don't think I have a needle," conceded the beagle, "but I might know someone that does. "He likes to fly around and collects lots of junk;" Benny and Willy were curious who it was. 


Sammy the Seagull knew Barney the Beagle from flying around his farm. There was water near called 'Lake O'soclear' so Sammy's home wasn't all that far. 


Willy the Weasel, Benny the Beetle, and Barney the Beagle went to tell Sammy the Seagull they needed a needle. They had the thread, so with all that said, Lake O'soclear was just ahead. 


"Hello over there!" yelped Barney the Beagle.


"Who is speaking to me?" Returned Sammy the Seagull. 


"It's me, Barney, you silly old bird! I'm with a couple friends and have a favor to ask of you sir!" 


Sammy flew over and came down for a look. It was his friend Barney, and the two others he took. 


"Well hello there Barney you silly ol' dog! Where have you been, it's been too long!" 


"I've been at the farm, you should more often fly by; Let me introduce you to my old friend and new friend, they are both super swell guys!" Introductions were done and problems laid out, the need for a needle is what this was mostly about; the Seagull didn't have the needle the beetle with the beagle and Weasel needed. That was disappointing but the story is not completed.


Sammy the Seagull also had a friend, with eyes that could see all the way to the end. A needle was small and could be hard to spot, but the eyes on this friend would sure help a lot.


“Seagulls usually don’t have friends quite like mine, I’ll fly over to see what she can help us find.”


“Oh please hurry, these pants are so tight!” Willy pled.


“I’m going to ask her right now if we can use her sight,” Sammy said.


Egan the Eagle could fly high as a plane; her eyes were a telescope hooked straight into her brain. She could soar so high you couldn’t even see her, other birds wondered what it would be like to be her.


Soaring high in the sky keeping out a watchful eye, Egan the Eagle let out an Eagle cry. Cry is a word that can make you think of sad, but this was a different cry and it’s the voice that eagle’s have. Something else flying heard the loud Eagle cry and wanted to see if it was a certain Eagle friend in the sky.


It was! It was Egan! Sammy thought feeling happy, “I can’t fly that high so I’ll send a message through flapping.” Far below where and eagle could fly, Sammy the Seagull flapped his wings and let out his own seagull cry. Not as fierce sounding as the powerful eagle, but Egan recognized it, and was happy to see the Seagull.


“Sammy! My old friend the Seagull, how do you do!?”


“Egan my friend! I’m fine, I’m glad to see you!!”


“What brings you high in the sky for sea-loving seagull?”


“I got a visit from another friend, a beagle that needs a needle for a Beetle and a Weasel. I didn’t have one, and neither did they, but I knew your eyes could spot one, so what do you say?”


“I say OK,” said the Eagle, I’ll help you today; Eagles have good eyes and can spot a needle in hay.” Egan the Eagle was happy to help. She liked helping friends because it made her feel good about herself. The rest of the gang looked up and saw birds; two of them coming down with conversation overheard. They were a little afraid of the Eagle because it wasn’t a friend for sure. Upon her arrival the Eagle shred any doubt; friends helping friends is what this meeting was about. Benny the Beetle and Willy the Weasel and Barney the Beagle and Sammy the Seagull and Egan the Eagle were going to find a needle; Benny loved all the helping because he liked people helping people.


Benny the Beetle told Egan the Eagle about what kind of needle he needed to sew, so Egan got the important information and said, “That’s all I needed to know.” They all seemed happy to have such a high-flying friend. “Hop on to my wing Benny, we’ll go have a look-see. The rest of you go back to the farm and wait for Benny and me.”


Barney, the Seagull, and the Weasel all headed back to the farm. Benny flew with Egan on her wing, which is an amazing bird arm. They looked and they looked using Egan’s Eagle eyes, looking all over, and spying like spies. A needle, it turns out, is a hard thing to find. After an hour it was starting to get late. No needle was spotted, so there was no needle to take. The weasel’s pants would have to stay ripped. A long walk home in ripped pants was an embarrassing trip. Despite the bad luck all the soaring wasn’t boring. They had seen most of the area kind of like they were touring. With nothing in hand to the farm they headed back; but like a shiny miracle Egan spotted a needle in a hay stack!




She kneaded through the hay for the needle they needed, with Willy the Weasel watching patiently seated. Ta-Daa!! Said Egan, needle in Eagle hand. I found what you needed and have helped out my friends! “Hooray!!” Shouted the group, and the Beetle took the needle, I have to go get Willy’s pants, the pants that fit a Weasel. Barney, Sammy, and especially Egan, thank you so much! You are all my good friends, and good friends keep in touch. Maybe not every day, and not in every way, but friends are there to help, and are also there to play. Egan sat tall over all and started to speak with her beak—"Today we did a job, and we got some work done; so let’s make a plan for next weekend to get together and have some fun.” Everyone smiled and also agreed. They met the next weekend on the day they were free. They played and played until the day came to an end, a fine bunch of playmates and a fine bunch of friends. 



May 29, 2020 02:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Crystal Lewis
15:15 Jun 02, 2020

I absolutely loved this! This would make an excellent children's book. I could imagine the illustrations right now! And big kudos to making all the rhymes because boy do I know how hard it can be to make things rhyme.

Reply

Edward S.
07:26 Jun 03, 2020

Thanks Crystal Lewis. Truth is, I could probably write one of these about every 2 days. If you are interested in a different one, give me your own prompt and I could write you one in about a day. I would love to write a children's book, or a series of them. If Reedsy was interested, I think they already have a piece of Benny the Beetle, and I would be happy to move forward with them.

Reply

Crystal Lewis
04:22 Jun 04, 2020

That is quite impressive. No it’s okay, I will wait to see what you come up with each week for the prompts or whenever you decide to do one. I’m not sure if you have joined the other parts of Reedsy but there is a section where you can get access to heaps of editors, illustrations and all sorts of people involved in book building so if you hunt around the Reedsy website you should be able to find a section to help you collaborate with either Reedsy or someone else to actually publish books. Reedsy is a pretty great platform.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edward S.
07:16 Jun 03, 2020

If anybody is interested in a story similar to this one, I would be happy to write another one.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.